Author Topic: Toilet training outside  (Read 656 times)

Offline Samantha+Poppy

Toilet training outside
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
Poppy loves going outside in the garden and everytime she starts to do some toileting out there I try to say 'business'. At this point she gets too excited and stops to come play instead of carrying on. I was hoping to teach her to do her business on command for times when I need to get her to go quickly but it doesn't seem to be working :005:

Anyone got any tips on how to get a very happy excited puppy to learn to do their 'business' on command? :lol:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Toilet training outside
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »
Just patience.... I don't know how old she is, but it will take a while for her to grasp whats going on. I'd be inclined to just get her used to outside toileting first with lots of praise when she's gone, and then when thats settled in a little, start adding the word association. Sounds like at the moment everything is still at the mega-excitable stage  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Joyce

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »
Instead of saying "business" which I never say start giving her a treat instead, when she has done the toilet, that way she will associated going to the toilet with a treat , always have it ready in your hand and hide your hand behind your back, Cockers are crafty I have one that used to pretend she was doing a wee just to get the treat and a "must" give it to her as soon as she has finished.

Offline Samantha+Poppy

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
Yeah she is only 9 weeks so is still a bit young probably, I assumed she'd pick up on this quickly but will be more patient. She is doing well with other things, I've learnt she settles better at night with all the lights off. I probably am expecting too much too soon, I'm looking forward to being able to walk her finally in 2 weeks time. Booked her in for puppy training already.

Maybe she's always happy and excited cos I'm always happy and excited around her :005: :luv:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
I too used treats.  I was out with Odie at least every 45 mins to an hour in the beginning.  He cottoned on to doing a wee pretty fast and was always rewarded with a treat.  The poos were a different matter but consistency, calm and patience is needed I'm afraid :lol2:  I've lost count the number of times I've been out there with my brolly :005:

Even now at 17 months old, Odie will do his business and come back in for his treat, bless him :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Samantha+Poppy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
Ok I'll try the treat reward instead, I've bought her some of those Fish4Dogs star treats as they're a really nice size for training :D

Offline Juno

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:26:14 PM »
Agree with the others that for me, at least, promptly offering a treat leads to quick wees! Can't say the same for number twos yet - they happen after a frantic rush to the door, any time of day or night!

It won't take long for Poppy to cotton on that going outside equals a tasty reward. Juno's been remarkably good at whining at the back door when she needs to go out although you have to be super quick!

Good luck. Looking forward to hearing how she's getting on.

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
That is young = Toby responds to  "wee wee" now but it took him a while to carry on when I said it - he would run to me still doing it!!