Author Topic: is anybody there?  (Read 782 times)

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
is anybody there?
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »
.....feeling a bit edgy....have put our new pup in his crate, he is due for his nap, and shut the door.  I'm in the next room and he is wimpering and yapping a bit but I really want him to settle.  I've read that if he is tired he should eventually settle?????

Don't want to go to him while he is complaining and he is tired.......  :'(

Any supportoive words really appreciated x

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
Re: is anybody there?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
How do you know he's due a nap? Maybe he's not tired!  :blink:

We never shut Holly in her crate untill she was fully toilet trained, we use to leave the door open & she would pop herself off to bed when she was tired!

Sorry if that's no help  :-\

Ps) you could give him a toy or a chew/ filled kong so he enjoys his crate time aswell  :blink:

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »
He settled after about 6/7 mins and is now sparko.  Will open the door so he can come out when he wakes.

Just following some advice in the 'puppy' manual about learning to be alone when we need him to be and not always when it suits him.  Generally he does as your puppy and takes himself off to sleep (in his crate which he has used since he came home and was used to from breeders)....or sleeps by our feet on an old sweatshirt.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:25:28 AM »
Sounds like he's doing really well  :luv:  Have a scoot through the posts in the puppy section, there's lots of helpful hints and tips about helping them settle down/get used to being alone etc.
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
Thank you so much Maggie....words I needed to hear...I'm not being cruel but realise it is important he learns this lesson early.

I have been reading here avidly since we got him....but just needed some 'instant' feedback.....need a stiff drink now. 

I have opened his door and he didn't run out, still sleeping which I am relieved about.

Thanks again.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »
I would definately practice this from an early age. As you've found they only protest for 10 mins or so and will soon get used to the routine.

We never shut Holly in her crate untill she was fully toilet trained, we use to leave the door open & she would pop herself off to bed when she was tired!

Im not sure how ppl cope never leaving their pup home alone and I certainly wouldnt leave them out their crate while Im out/busy. Theres no telling what they could do to themselves and your house whilest they are unsupervised  :-\

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I would definately practice this from an early age. As you've found they only protest for 10 mins or so and will soon get used to the routine.

Im not sure how ppl cope never leaving their pup home alone and I certainly wouldnt leave them out their crate while Im out/busy. Theres no telling what they could do to themselves and your house whilest they are unsupervised  :-\
No, we first taught her it was a safe place 'she wanted' to spend time in (with the gate open) we didnt fling her in willy milly at our own convenience, listen to her screaching because she wanted out etc! We didn't shut her in & let here soil her bedding as she was to little to hold on...

Holly could happily & safely be left from a very young age in the kitchen uncrated for short periods ph34r

Once she had basic toilet training sorted she had learnt that the crate was her bed & her space, we could happily shut her in her crate 11pm to 7am from a very young age, no accidents & not a sound other than her squeaky toy  :005:

Hey but that was 2 years ago! Bit rusty on the old puppy front im sure  :blink:

Note for all new crate users: always remember to take their collar off  :shades:
(learnt that bit frm COL  :shades:)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »

Im not sure how ppl cope never leaving their pup home alone and I certainly wouldnt leave them out their crate while Im out/busy. Theres no telling what they could do to themselves and your house whilest they are unsupervised  :-\
No, we first taught her it was a safe place 'she wanted' to spend time in (with the gate open) we didnt fling her in willy milly at our own convenience, listen to her screaching because she wanted out etc! We didn't shut her in & let here soil her bedding as she was to little to hold on...

Holly could happily & safely be left from a very young age in the kitchen uncrated for short periods ph34r

Once she had basic toilet training sorted she had learnt that the crate was her bed & her space, we could happily shut her in her crate 11pm to 7am from a very young age, no accidents & not a sound other than her squeaky toy  :005:

Hey but that was 2 years ago! Bit rusty on the old puppy front im sure  :blink:

Note for all new crate users: always remember to take their collar off  :shades:
(learnt that bit frm COL  :shades:)

I think its easy to forget that crate training and keeping dogs in crates is a relatively ' new' concept and not one that I have embraced if I am honest. So my 2 have never been crated they are now 2 and nearly 18 mths, they have managed quite well without and have not destroyed my home or caused themselves any damage. They are behind a baby gate in a 23 ft kitchen when they need to be 'contained' .
Sorry to the OP for going slightly off topic but it must be remembered that it is optional and not compulsory  ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
Its like having a baby - listening to them cry etc is soooooo hard but unless is major league distress then you have to be strong and leave him.

Good luck

Sara

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
Hi All
Thanks for your replies all helpful I'm sure.  I am not a first time dog-owner but it is 15 years since we had a pup in the house but even then we used a crate for Buddy and he loved it and gave us peace of mind, while he was young, that he would do no damage.  In time we were able to do away with it (much to his disgust!) and he NEVER did any damage to the house or himself.

Dillon is doing really well with housetraining is crated overnight, quite happily, and will 'call' us if he needs to go out to do his business, only one small accident since we have had him so pretty good I think.

This morning's exercise was purely to get him used to having the door shut during the day, who knows when I may need to go out and be unable to take him with me and I would like to know I am leaving him happy rather than howling.