Author Topic: Getting Poppy to sleep through  (Read 1387 times)

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
Re: Getting Poppy to sleep through
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
we used a puppy playpen with Poppy but she howled so much that we gave in and she sleeps on a bed in our bedroom.
The playpen was still great for when we went out as I felt that she had a little bit more space than a crate would give.

Unfortunately the Bix monster is also an escapologist ph34r and he was climbing out of the pen at 13 weeks.

I think it's OK to have these plans in mind but then you need to adapt them to your puppy and to find what works.

Offline JulieM

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
Hang in there! Things will ease soon I'm sure!

We don't crate our puppy, she has the run of the utility room so can't offer any advice there, but I would think of bringing back the time of her last feed to 7pm rather than 8pm. She might go before bedtime then- which at least would be one less mess in the night

I guess at least with a crate you don't have the accidental standing in a poo experiences we did  :005:

Offline JazzyJasmine

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
I certainly know what you are going through.  Jasmine is ten weeks old now and me and my OH have been taking it in turns to sleep with her downstairs, I dont want to take her upstairs so she has been on her bed in the living room with one of us on the couch, as she was horrendous in the crate she is slowly getting used to the crate.  Im hoping that in the coming weeks me and my OH maybe able to share a bed again lol!!  Dont despair, from what Ive read on here there is light at the end of the tunnel

Offline CorinneF

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
We had sleepless nights with our Poppy for 4 weeks... She was locked in her crate in the living room at night and would cry all night long  :'( she would poo everywhere (literally!  >:D ) and had to be bathed every morning. After 4 weeks of this I had enough... I took the basket that was in the crate and the dog and put both in the conservatory, turned around and closed the door!  ph34r best thing I ever did!!! little darling stopped crying and slept through or at least did her thing without tears! that's when we realised Poppy was claustrophobic!  >:( crate training... through the window!
maybe your Poppy is like that too?  ;)
Corinne owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline Samantha+Poppy

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 12:14:57 AM »
Hmmm I doubt it as she does go into the crate during the day as I leave the door open and isn't too bothered being closed in whilst I go for a shower or pop to the shops. I really do think it's just a play thing. She had her last meal at 7 and I'm about to head off for bed after letting her out. I'm going to start the night with her downstairs but if she starts up she will be coming upstairs (but don't tell her ph34r )

Offline Juno

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:48 AM »
How did it go? :D

Offline Samantha+Poppy

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »
Last night went a lot better :D she cried for about an hour but once she settled she slept through until 6.30 :D I just hope this last. She had pooped in the crate again even though she'd done one just before she went in the crate but I'm not too bothered as I got some sleep :005: The difference having some uninterrupted sleep makes is amazing.

And now I look at how lovely this weather is and want to take her out, 11 days to go until we're able to it's such a long wait.

Offline Juno

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »
Oh fab! It's amazing what difference sleep makes. ;)

Juno slept until 7:30(!!!) this morning - I couldn't believe it.

9 days until we can go for walks - we can't wait either. Can't wait to hear how Poppy's goes. Enjoy the sunshine with her.