Author Topic: 2 new problems with Jess [Food / Children] (UPDATED WITH VIDEO)  (Read 803 times)

Offline chrisUK263

Seems like i'm forever posting problems, but if it helps us get over something then it's worth it.

1. Jess used to love her food and would chomp down on it straight away, but recently she's really gone off food altogether. She will watch me get the food and I can put it down and she will sniff maybe take a mouthful and then walk away and not tough it again for another half hour. Even then she will again only take a small mouthful.

I'm not sure if she's not scared we will steal her food or if there is something wrong, she will take it from my hand if I give it to her as a treat for performing a command, but otherwise she's not bothered.
The same is true sometime when we go for a walk and she will just not be interested in a nice smelly piece of chicken for performing a sit outside.

2. She has started barking at the children, there is not reason behind this either, usually they just get up and walk past her or sometimes sit on the stairs and talk to me or OH and she will start barking directly at them, but sometimes when she does this she goes to grab a toy almost like she's scared they will take it. But sometimes they are no where near her things. it's only the children that she does this with. At the moment and soon and she does it I remove her from the room for a 3/4 minute time out and then she may come back in.  

It's a different sort of bark to what she usually does though like a territorial bark or a "Stay away" bark. How can I combat this. I've managed to get us all to stick to most of the other rules that I made up about keeping long line on and keeping them separate from Jess, but i'm just unsure about this problem. Apart from that she's doing fine although she has started jumping up a lot more for some reason.

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
Re: 2 new problems with Jess [Food / Children]
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
Its part of the settling in stage mine went through a phase of not wanting her meals

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
Its part of the settling in stage mine went through a phase of not wanting her meals

we have had her for 5 months now, so it's not that she isn't settled or do you mean that she's become comfortable with us being around her food.

Offline karen488

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
Darcey has food phases. On/ off. I put it down to her going through diff. Growth rates. (we never, unless I forget!!!!  :005: leave food down for more than 10/15 mins)

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »
Biz also has off days where he's not interested in food then others when he wolfs down every mouthful.
As long as it doesn't last more than a couple of days, I wouldn't worry.
If it does, perhaps she should be seen by your vet?

As to your other concern then I don't have an answer or any advice save to say that the children seem to have been a worry for you and Jess from early on. If things were going well then stick to that plan. Reward good behaviour and ignore bad - works for both kids and puppies  :005:

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »
She might be teething, or heading towards her first season.  Have you changed her food recently? (puppy to adult version?) - My Meg sometimes has a few days of not being very hungry, and quite often leaves her food
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »
she seems to be going back to her food a bit more now but the barking is getting worse, she started doing it to my g/f other day for no reason at all. I really really need help please on how to deal with this!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:15:20 AM »
she seems to be going back to her food a bit more now but the barking is getting worse, she started doing it to my g/f other day for no reason at all. I really really need help please on how to deal with this!

Its really difficult to say why shes barking without seeing it. Usually barking is attention seeking, excitment or fear based. Without knowing the reason its difficult to give advise on combatting it. It might be worth asking a local behaviourist to come and have a look.

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
Is she barking cos she wants them to play?

Roxy carries a toy to people and wags her tail madly if she wants to play but my mum's cocker barks at people when she gets excited and wants to be fussed...