Author Topic: Almost the 'first' outing!  (Read 680 times)

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
Almost the 'first' outing!
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Well Dillon's new crate arrived for the car - had to get a smaller, sloping sided one to fit in our car as his indoor one was too large.  So decided to try it out.  He is one day away from being 'allowed' out/down on the floor!  Cannot tell you how 'stir crazy' we are going.....although, silly me of course you have all been there lol!

We think he prefers this to being 'loose' on the back seat which was never our permanent idea as it is just not safe but we had done it a few times just to get him used to travelling in the car.  However he barked nearly the whole time we were on the outward journey.....I could feel a headache coming on and only just resisted the urge to tell him his fortune  ;).  On the way home he was so pooped he literally passed out.........peaceful bliss!  In the middle he had a short trip around Pets at Home where he met another Cocker owner who insisted on dangling her hands in front of him the whole time.....silly lady....stirring him into a yapping frenzy.  Also met several other friendly types in there....he was very good and wasn't too bad with the whole mouthing thing although most people seem to expect it.  I had some treats at the ready to reward him for his nice behaviour.  We then went on to have a coffee at Costa, one that has an outdoor deck area and there was no one else there so we put him down for a short while which he loved. 

We have let him walk to and from the car on his lead and he, so far, is walking really nicely, no tugging on the lead anyway so hope that continues.

Just curious, is the yapping in the car something he is likely to grow out of.....luckily he is not car sick which was our main concern, but the yapping could be a real pain on a long journey  >:(.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Almost the 'first' outing!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
Ollie always bark when he gats into the car. He stops as soon as we are all in and start the car :005:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »
I just got my two a dog car crate, up to now they have always slept and enjoyed the back seat, so i was concerned they might get upset or be sick.
So!!! for the first couple of outings I took them a reasonable walk first so they would be tired enough to hopefully, settle in the cage, then I took them somewhere 'interesting' so they would associate the cage with good outings.
It might even be worth giving the doggy a wee treat in the cage initially and put a used bed/blanket inside
familiar smells and all that.
(maybe rub a treat around the cage then buried it under the blanket)
Needless to say very quickly my two cottoned on and will actually jump up into the cage themselves and that was on the 3rd outing.

I know it is easier with two , company etc, but I guess it is all about association

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »
Thanks both for the suggestions.....we have been out in it a few times and when tired he will go to sleep quite happily - I think a short walk beforehand or waiting until he is nearing a 'naptime' is the way to go initially.

Had a walk on the fenn today and met some other dogs....all went well, I am determined to overcome my nervousness around dogs I don't know as I realise it is so important for Dillon and it is great to see him so excited to see them.  I would like to understand the body language of approaching dogs a bit more....I guess a wagging tail is a good sign???  Dillon allows sniffing and 'told off' quickly rolled over - submissive???  Anyway no punch ups yet  :005:

Offline karen488

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
Re car. Think the more you take him out on short journeys the better. Esp if you end up back home as maybe he is getting over excited??? I normally call out to other dog walkers "are they friendly?" having no degree in dog behaviourism!!!! It's great getting out isnt it??  :blink:

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »
Hi Karen....it is great to be out....was going stir crazy indoors.....been lovely here today too which lifts the spirits.  Had three (short) trips out in all today....Dillon is shattered as he was yesterday, still didn't sleep any later this morning though up at 4.30 a.m!!!

Offline JazzyJasmine

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
Jasmine has been allowed out a week now, and its really funny how they react to different things, like tonight two cyclists went past us, first time she d seen any, she started backing away from them bless.  Then we walked past an elderly couple who wanted to fuss over her, but she kept backing away from them two.  Yet others she ll go up to no problem.  I am also very wary re other dogs, I know she has to get used to meeting them etc, but you just never know how she or they will react. 

Offline debsy09

• Deputy Dillon
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
Ah yes, so many new things for them to experience....Dillon is also fascinated when kids on bikes go by, he sits down and just watches after them.  Today we went for a trip to Hatfield Forest and there were some Mums with buggies walking by some distance from us....he did the same, totally transfixed he was.

He is doing much better in the crate, outward trip he has a small chew and then he usually nods off, on the way home he is usually tired and sleeps with the occasional whimper of complaint  :005:.  Hope this continues, todays trip was his longest yet a good 40/50mins each way.

Have met a few more dogs but none he could play with as such which is what I think he really wants to do, gets very excited when he even sees another dog!  Today he met a lovely field spaniel who was six months old, Dillon was very good allowing sniffing and rolling over but the other dog started jumping on him and his owners had him on a very tight lead so he didn't do any damage....I'm sure he wouldn't have hurt Dillon, just very excited.

Had his first off-lead experience too and he was great he kept VERY close to us, in fact I was nearly tripping over him at times  ;), we have been trying the whistle recall following the steps described on these boards and it is going well so far, he loves that chicken!!!

He is now out cold and has been for the past two hours!

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 09:27:20 PM »
Its a big crazy world out there. So much to explore and get used to. But such fun. :D :D

We took Charlie in the car from the age of 9 weeks, a 30 mile journey,as we visit MIL most weekends. He has never been a problem in the car, as with most things I think the earlier you start the easier it becomes for them to adjust to.
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong