Author Topic: Hello! First time spaniel owner!  (Read 786 times)

Offline archiedog

Hello! First time spaniel owner!
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »

Hello everyone!
]
This is Archie, he is 8 weeks old yesterday, we pick him up a week on Sat!

My first Cocker Spaniel, and my first dog that wasnt my parents.

Im ridiculously excited/nervous- i'm really worried that i will do something wrong!

Am used to GSD's that my parent bred.

I am almost 100% sure he is the working type (breeder is my OH's cousin) didnt even know there were two types.

I think i may be on here a lot :)

Nicky

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Hello! First time spaniel owner!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »
Hello and welcome!  You've come to the right place for a ton of information, advice and support with your new baby :luv:  Odie (golden show boy) is now 18 months old and I found the help and advice on here absolutely invaluable during the first few months.  There are lots of threads on here for you to read in preparation for the new arrival, one thing we all say is get lots of sleep before he arrives cos that'll go out the window when he's home :lol2:  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »
Welcome!

If you have pictures of the parents we can probably help you with which type he is - does the breeder not know which type he's bred?

He looks very sweet and I don't want to cast a downer on your excitement, more help if I can. Have the parent dogs any health tests done? There are some very serious conditions that can be common to cocker spaniels and it's generally highly recommended that if you are buying a puppy, you do make sure the parent dogs have had genetic health tests to see if their offspring might be affected for things like future blindness or kidney failure disease.

Working cockers 'can' be very full on dogs also, so it's probably best to find out a bit more about them before you agree to take him and decide if your lifestyle is suitable for a dog with that much energy and if you're able to offer the mental stimulation he might need to contain and occupy a potentially high hunt drive.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline archiedog

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for the info. The breeder is a woman by the way :) (and KC registered) I do have pics of both parents, not on my work PC though (will put these up tonight).

Breeder does know i've just spoken with her. I was merely explaining that the 'working type' is the only type i have ever known there to be (not being au fait with this breed)

I'm looking at taking this boy on shoots with me as this is something i love doing (just got to train him right!) and my OH's brother has a lab who is an excellent retriever when we do go.

I do understand the concern, it is somethign we would ask buyers of our GSD, but i feel confident i know that this dog is right for me...im more worried that im not right for the dog ;)

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
Archie's gorgeous! I'll be bringing home my pup Griffin on 15th, so you'll be an old hand by then! ;) Good luck!

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 03:42:23 PM »
Hello to you and Hello to Archie, welcome to COL.

Hope you enjoy the forum, it has all the information and friendliness you could ever want.

Love,

Gwyneth, Colin and Megan.
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Hi Nicky and Archie
Welcome to CoL :D
Not long left now before your wee pup :luv: comes home!
How exciting.
steffnellie
xxx

Offline Smokey 1

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
Looks like little Archie is going to be a handfull of fun  :luv: welcome form me and Muswell we are newbies on here ourself's;) I have been reading Lot's of info on COL and even having owned a Cocker before a lot of it has been very good to read.

Smokey
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
Hello to Archie and Nicky.  Welcome to COL.  I'm quite new on here as well.  I get to bring my little Show Strain Blue Roan girl on Thursday 14th July.  I CAN'T WAIT.  It is so exciting.

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to owning a Cocker.  They are the best dogs around in my book! lol :lol: :banana:

Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
Hello welcome to COL.  :D Always lots of info and good friendly advice available here.
I am owned by a 6 yr old orange & white boy called Charlie.

Good luck with the new pup.  ;)
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong