Author Topic: Hi from the Scottish Borders  (Read 776 times)

Offline Keano

Hi from the Scottish Borders
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »
Hi all

We have an 11 week old working cocker puppy called Ruby, she is black with a wee white flash on her chest, she is gorgeous but a typical puppy and into everything!  My parents always had dogs (labs) so I grew up around them, but Ruby is our first family dog and also our first time with a cocker. Also in our family is my OH, 2 kids aged 8 and 6, and Bongo the black cat (who is ok so far with the dog although not loving it).

Ruby is doing fine: we have only had her for about 2 weeks but we are making some progress with toilet training, etc.  The main problem I have with her is that she is really nippy when she is playing or excited.   I am so pleased to have found this forum as I see there are loads of posts about this on the Puppy Board.  It is so good to know we are not the only ones with this problem and I have already been reading all the helpful advice on how to deal with it.

I really look forward to chatting with you all and learning more about your dogs :)

Jill

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Hi from the Scottish Borders
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »
Hi Jill, welcome to the forum.  Lots of good advice on here, and a bit of nonsense too  :005:  Congratulations on Ruby, been so long since we had a puppy, I amno good for advice  ph34r  We live in South Lanarkshire, so not too far from you.  We have 2 cocker boys aged 11, both black, and with a wee white flash...  (also little grey beards, but that is a recent event!!)  ALos have a blue roan girl called Lara, and she is around 6 (rescue, so not definite). Elaine.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »
Hi there and welcome!  My daughters were 5 and 6 when we got Odie at 8 weeks old (he's now nearly 18 months) so remember very well what it was like with the nipping (except it wasn't the kids that got it, it was me :lol2:).  As you've seen, lots of tips and advice on here to guide you through and I hope to see some pics soon ;)  Lesley & Odie
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »
Welcome from Rufus in Edinburgh! I am quite new on here and am amazed at how so many cockers seem to behave in a similar way. As you say it makes you feel better!

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 09:24:11 PM »
Hello and welcome to you and Rufus.  Always lots of good advice on offer here.
We are far away from you at the other end of the country in Dorset with our 6 year old orange & white nutty cocker called Charlie.
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »
Hi there, welcome to COL. Bella used to be really bad about biting as a puppy (not just nips, she'd clamp her jaws onto you and refuse to let go) but it does improve, honestly. It was a happy day when those razor sharp puppy teeth started falling out :005:

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
Welcome to COL.  Have as much fun as I am.

Regards ... Lizzie xxx
Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »
Hi! and welcome to COL

We are quite new ourselves on this site but we have found it more than helpful and very friendly and we hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

By the way, we have a six year old solid black rescue called Megan.

Enjoy the forum

Gwyneth, Colin and Megan
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline Keano

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »
Hi all

Thanks so much for all your replies and I'm sorry I've not been on here more often!  Work, kids and puppy seem to have taken over...:)

Anyway Ruby is getting on great, she is still nipping but I think she is getting slightly better (ha! as I am typing that I am thinking well actually she's not really...! maybe we are just learning to handle it better!).  She had her last jag on Wednesday so we are all really looking forward to taking her out on proper walks next week.

Jill

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
Hi Jill  :D
Missed you first time round ,but better late than never eh?
There's loads of Scottish CoL folk on here!
Hope the weather improves for your first walks.
I'm steff from Yorkshire and my cocker is Ellie the showgirl and her
"sis" Pepper lives in Stirling now (Thats her in my avatar)
I love the name Ruby :luv: and can't wait to see and hear more!
steffnellie
xxx

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
Hi Jill, welcome to COL.  The weather is supposed to get better at the weekend, so enjoy those first walks.

We're in Dumfriesshire (just starting to rain again for the millionth time this week) and have a show (ish, more or less) cocker and a working cocker.

Diane

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 07:16:55 PM »
Hiya and welcome to COL  :lol:

I have a little black working girl called Freya and she has stolen my heart  :luv:

Look forward to seeing and hearing some more about you and Ruby  :luv:

Danni and Freya x