Author Topic: Spotted a fox in the garden - safe for pup to go out?  (Read 969 times)

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
Spotted a fox in the garden - safe for pup to go out?
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
This morning I found a skinny fox investigating my garden. Just when I'd decided I was going to housetrain Griffin by taking him outside straightaway!

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice about this and I'd really like to make a decision before I bring Griffin home. Is it too risky to let him into the garden before the second vacc? If I DON'T let him out, will that mean I'll have to housetrain him twice - once to use puppy pads and then a few weeks later to go outside? And if so, is this tricky to do?

Thanks, lovely COLers!

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
Re: Spotted a fox in the garden - safe for pup to go out?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »
I also raised this point a little why ago.  My flat has gardens all around and grass land areas outside my flat.  I was thinking that if I put a puppy training pad down it would be alright to let Betsy out, but I was told that foxes carry the parvovirus around with them and that it would be best for Betsy to be trained inside the flat until she has been fully vaccinated with her 2nd set of innoculations.  She is getting her 1st innoculation done on the 8th July. :banana:

Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »
I would take him out as planned, just make sure you stay with him.

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
Thanks both! I thought foxes carried parvovirus though? Seems difficult to get a consensus on this issue. My preference would definitely be for taking him outside from the start though.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
Personally I wouldn't risk it. Is there a paved area you can use for Griffin? Is so you can buy good dog-safe disinfectant like Mistral or Trigene that you can use to make the area safe for your puppy.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 03:36:52 PM »
Personally I wouldn't risk it. Is there a paved area you can use for Griffin? Is so you can buy good dog-safe disinfectant like Mistral or Trigene that you can use to make the area safe for your puppy.

Thanks Elaine. There's a patio, but I couldn't guarantee the fox wouldn't go there after I'd disinfected it. Paved area safer than grass then?

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
I'm not sure you can disinfect grassy areas  :dunno: I just like the idea of being able to disinfect and scrub paving so I know it's clean. We have high fences around our garden, no gaps, so it's highly unlikely any foxes can get in there anyway. Are your boundaries secure enough for a pup? they can be right little escape artists. I would be concerned that if a fox can get in then a pup might be able to get out (though I appreciate they're nowhere near as agile!)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »
I'm not sure you can disinfect grassy areas  :dunno: I just like the idea of being able to disinfect and scrub paving so I know it's clean. We have high fences around our garden, no gaps, so it's highly unlikely any foxes can get in there anyway. Are your boundaries secure enough for a pup? they can be right little escape artists. I would be concerned that if a fox can get in then a pup might be able to get out (though I appreciate they're nowhere near as agile!)

There's a wall right around the garden - nearly five foot. Think foxes are a lot better at jumping, but I could be wrong!

Offline jussy

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »
My 12 month old spanial has just had a nasty bout of fox mange, her fur has only just grown back on her legs and ears, so I would be careful. Maybe ask your vet for some Advocate, the 1 he gave us treated her for everything, including lung worms, worms and fleas etc. xx
2 Spaniels, 2 children, 2 VW's, 2 jobs and a Hubby, Phewwww!!!!!!
Now 3 Spaniels, 2 kids, 2 VW's, 1 full time job and a Hubby.

Offline jessandme

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
Parvovirus can live in the ground - or on other surfaces - for up to 6 months.  And yes, foxes can have it.  The usual rule is not to have your little one on the ground where unvaccinated dogs have been recently - and I don't think there are too many vaccinated foxes around.

I wouldn't risk it myself.

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:04:17 AM »
Thanks all! Might have found a solution: a fox-proof pen on a disinfected area of patio. Hopefully!

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
I would let him out as planned.

You should stay with him, the first few times he won't go far.  If you notice any Fox pooh pick it up and wash it down.

I have two cockers, large garden with Foxes playing overnight - plenty of Fox pooh.

I do my usual walk around in the morning, picking any Fox pooh up and washing it down.

Go as you mean to go on, the business is outside.

Currently have a 16 week cocker and a 16 mth cocker! :)

Have Fun!

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
I would let him out as planned.

You should stay with him, the first few times he won't go far.  If you notice any Fox pooh pick it up and wash it down.

I have two cockers, large garden with Foxes playing overnight - plenty of Fox pooh.

I do my usual walk around in the morning, picking any Fox pooh up and washing it down.

Go as you mean to go on, the business is outside.

Currently have a 16 week cocker and a 16 mth cocker! :)

Have Fun!

Thanks! You definitely wouldn't worry about parvovirus living in the grass then, before he's had his second vacc?

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
I wouldn't worry and my vets advice - the back garden is fine.

If your puppy came in to direct contact with a Fox - then yes but not from the grass.

I've always done this, six dogs - four cockers in my time.  They've all been fine.

I'm no expert just my opinion.  :D

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »
I wouldn't worry and my vets advice - the back garden is fine.

If your puppy came in to direct contact with a Fox - then yes but not from the grass.

I've always done this, six dogs - four cockers in my time.  They've all been fine.

I'm no expert just my opinion.  :D

Thanks you so much! You're an expert in my book!