Author Topic: Barking at children [Video inside]  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: Barking at children [Video inside]
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:21:19 PM »
Would be interested to see another video as couldn't see anything untoward in that one really.

She didn't bark when the boy first came over.

She started barking when you started talking to the boy.

She then looked over to you after she'd barked to see what she should do.

She then went over to the empty food bowl area to check that out - had she just had some food in that bowl?

No she had her tea at about 5 o'clock video was taken about 9 o'clock so it's been gone a long time.

Ok, not sure but it looked like she did a play bow.   

I have a very vocal cocker and he barks and barks when he wants to play football or wants someone to play with his toy - its hard to say from that video but it didn't look very threatening behaviour on her part - more like she didn't know what was going on hence the look at whoever had the camera for reassurance.   

I don't think an aggressive dog would stop to look round for reassurance or to see what to do next IYSWIM.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 09:23:32 PM »
Honestly if my lot were put behind a gate with someone fiddling they would go nuts far more than your little one  

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
Have you taught her a firm No ..Quiet......when the incidents happen.

Does she listen to your commands ? I have had many difficult cockers but have never thankfully needed a behaviourist. I have dealt with firm commands and boundies. She must see you as the leader and protector  :luv:

What is her reaction if you just walk in through the gate ?

We have a few behaviourists on here hopefully they will see your post and offer some guidance  :blink:

She's never barked at me when I enter the room that she is in. I don't think she's barked at me when ive been at the gate either.

When they enter the room straight away without thinking she doesn't bark usually, but the kids and myself get a bit nervous cause I don't want to let them go in alone just incase they get scared and it could be damaging to their relationship.

The boy wasn't teasing her, I just asked him to come talk to me but I was filming it so he was embarrassed.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
sorry but the boy was teasing her with his paper thing, and by the look on his face he knew it...

Just let the wife see the post and SHE agrees...In what Helen says...

Also like i said some thing the lad has in his hand its obvious the dog does NOT like it (like are Peggy does) at times..And he barks...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »
Have you taught her a firm No ..Quiet......when the incidents happen.

Does she listen to your commands ? I have had many difficult cockers but have never thankfully needed a behaviourist. I have dealt with firm commands and boundies. She must see you as the leader and protector  :luv:

What is her reaction if you just walk in through the gate ?

We have a few behaviourists on here hopefully they will see your post and offer some guidance  :blink:

She's never barked at me when I enter the room that she is in. I don't think she's barked at me when ive been at the gate either.

When they enter the room straight away without thinking she doesn't bark usually, but the kids and myself get a bit nervous cause I don't want to let them go in alone just incase they get scared and it could be damaging to their relationship.

The boy wasn't teasing her, I just asked him to come talk to me but I was filming it so he was embarrassed.

I didn't mention your dog being teased

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »
Is there any way to stop this happening because it worries me that she may bite and it scares the children especially the little girl and she doesn't want to walk past the dog anymore and constantly wear her shoes because she doesn't jess to bite her feet.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »
Is there any way to stop this happening because it worries me that she may bite and it scares the children especially the little girl and she doesn't want to walk past the dog anymore and constantly wear her shoes because she doesn't jess to bite her feet.

Biting feet  :-\   I didn't realise she was a puppy, thought from this post she was a grown dog doing this, how old is she now?

Offline seaangler

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
Both are dogs will bark if they hear a knock on the door Cindy will stop barking straight away on my comand...As to Peggy she will bark and let you know it (it does sound bad)After fifteen seconds or so we say (enough) she will then slow down with her barking and go into a growl mode...I will say once again (enough)...(she will then stop after a while...But of all the training i done to stop Peggy that is as far as i can go with her..She will bark..Even some one on T.V knocks the door or if she hears some ing that sound s like a knock on T.V she will bark...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »
Be more confident and give firm commands when she is displaying unwanted behaviour  :blink: You are the boss she will respect you for it in the end. I have an 13 month old and she is beautifully behaved but it has taken time, consistancy and reward  :blink:  Have it no more.... sit down as a family and decide on boundies and rules that you all stick too including the children

Is there a reason she is behind the gate ? How long is she by herself ?

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 09:45:37 PM »

Biting feet  :-\   I didn't realise she was a puppy, thought from this post she was a grown dog doing this, how old is she now?

She's coming up to 7 months now, she doesn't nip or bite but the girl is scared she might

Offline seaangler

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »
Does your daughter have funny things on her slippers..that would make your bite them!!!Are peggy goes for my basset hound slippers with the long floppy ears...

Now you say hes still a puppie!!!!

Just read as to what Bracken has said ....

Its still in puppie mode your dog ....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »
I wonder if you are passing your anxieties onto the children, which will naturally unsettle the dog if everyone is nervous around her  :-\

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »

It looked like perfectly normal, frustrated spaniel behaviour to me - the grumbles aren't growls, they are one of the multitude of noises a Cocker Spaniel can make, and exactly the same noise our dog makes when she is greeting people she likes (very different to the way she "greets" people she's uncertain of!!!!  ph34r )

She's enclosed behind a gate, and can't get to where the excitement is.... she's going to "talk" to you!!!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 09:58:18 PM »

Looking again with the sound off, your dog is showing a range of calming signals...

Look at the situation from her point of view.  The kitchen seems to be where she is expected to chill out - 2 important people approach the entrance, and rather than coming in to see her, they stand at the doorway and look straight at her (intimidating for a dog) - she approaches, then backs off, then approaches again (I think this is when you speak), barks, play-bows, averts her gaze, walks away... that's not aggression... it's frustration and an attempt to divert your attention.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »

She's coming up to 7 months now, she doesn't nip or bite but the girl is scared she might

Then keep them separate until the pup has matured a lot more and the little girl is more confident. I remember Hannah gave you the benefit of her experience with young children and lively cocker pups, are you still following her advice? It's a long process, needs loads of patience and consistency.

Children can sometimes regard animals as they would some of their programmable toys and it just doesn't work that way, they have moods and get tired just as we do and it's not helped by the fact that they don't actually understand English or can respond to  a reasoned rationale.

"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope