Author Topic: Shoelace obsession  (Read 1100 times)

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
Shoelace obsession
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »
Hi all, is there anything I can do to draw Griffin's attention away from my shoelaces? I'm worried I'm going to step on him as he's constantly chasing and biting them! And is there any way to make him let go of them once he's got a good hold? Thanks!

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
Re: Shoelace obsession
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
OH distracted Penny from doing the same thing by finding her a piece of old cord to play with.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline jessandme

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
I was going to suggest either distraction or wearing wellington boots.    :005:

Seriously though, puppies love shoelaces.  Distraction is the best thing -  but if he really won't let go, and you really need him to, then gently open his mouth just a bit and remove the shoelace.    Do you know how to open his mouth safely?

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
I'm reading this as Betsy is doing the same thing.  I've tried to distract her with her sausage toy, but she keeps coming back to my laces!! LOL!! :005::005:
Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline Juno

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »
Do you know how to open his mouth safely?

Can you please tell me in case I'm doing it hideously wrong! Hardly ever need to as these days am only ever found with bits of kibble and various other distractions in my pockets..!

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
Remove the temptation , learn to like slip on shoes or crocs  :D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
Thanks you! I could do with knowing how to open his mouth safely! He really won't let go!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »
I found a pair of Cotton Traders slip on shoes the best answer - after I had nearly been tripped up with a hot drink in my hand decided 'prevention better than cure  ;)

Then I had to remember to put the shoes themselves out of Katie's reach when I took them off  :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline jessandme

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
Do you know how to open his mouth safely?

Can you please tell me in case I'm doing it hideously wrong! Hardly ever need to as these days am only ever found with bits of kibble and various other distractions in my pockets..!

Try it on yourself first.  Start with your teeth slightly apart.   Press on your cheeks, near the corner of your mouth.  Your mouth opens.

When you need to do this on the puppy because he has something in his mouth (that he must not have) press very gently.  You won't get bitten because his lips are between your fingers and his teeth.  But be careful, do it gently.  His teeth are sharp and you don't want to hurt the inside of his lips.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »

Never come across that method.

The way we tell people at puppy classes is to just hold the thing they have still (so it's no longer interesting), cupping underneath their muzzle.  They will generally let go after a few seconds.  If they don't, just hooking one finger into the collar (while maintaining the rest of the position) generally makes the more reluctant pups let go.  ;)
Doesn't work on an adult dog who has learned to resist things being removed from them (but I wouldn't dare try jessandme's method on my adult dog!!!  :005: ), but is something to try before you attempt to force something away from them.
 :D

I would use the above method first - then try swapping for treats - I'd only force the issue if it was a life and death situation... but it's certainly worth knowing how to do it if the situation does arise!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:11:12 AM »
Thank you! He does tend to lose interest if I hold the laces still and hold his head. Good to know how to open his mouth in case he starts noshing on something poisonous though!