Author Topic: Morning madness  (Read 1458 times)

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
Morning madness
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »
Hi, I was just wondering if it's normal for puppies to behave differently at different times of day? At the moment, Griffin is a total terror first thing in the morning and calms down during the day. Then there's a crazy ten minutes or so in the evening. Last night he ran into the side of a wheelie bin at full speed!

Is there a reason why he nips and grabs and bites in the morning,  but less so as the day goes on? Is there anything I can do to calm him down in the morning?! Thanks!

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
Re: Morning madness
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:59:50 AM »
I read somewhere that dogs are crepuscular, that is they are most lively at dawn and dusk, so Griffin's just being a dog  I guess  ;)

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Mandymoo66

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »
Marvin is exactly the same - madman in the morning for a little while and then pretty good all day. He does his run amok half hour at night in the garden, and god forbid anthing that gets in his way - the chooks have learnt to keep away from him when this is happening now.

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:02 AM »
Thanks! It's driving me crazy. Very difficult to get showered, feed the cats etc. If I leave the room he gets in a right state. There's often some wee or poo to deal with when I return (after 15 mins max).

Offline Luke1989

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:30:02 AM »
Same. But amber also has little outbursts of madness in the day !
The one day i was ill, and couldn't take her out on a walk in the morning !! all i can say she made me pay for it !!

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »
Same. But amber also has little outbursts of madness in the day !
The one day i was ill, and couldn't take her out on a walk in the morning !! all i can say she made me pay for it !!

How did she make you pay for it?! We need to know!

Offline Luke1989

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »
Haha, Here goes....

Basically she did anything mischievous she could possibly think off...

Jumped in the pond and come running in and tore around the house at 1000MPH

Chased the cats around and around and around

Pulling stuff out the bin..

She just acted like a wild dog lol...... Just wanted us to pay for not taking her out.. She is very stubborn and has WAY to much energy unless we take her out and ware her down....

One of the things i read about cockers before i got amber was that they will happily run around all day, but also just relax all day.  NOT amber lol...

Endless Energy

Offline Luke1989

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
I must say though. She isn't normally like this lol ... Apart from jumping in the pond its her favorite activity  :005: :005:

Offline jussy

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:23:46 AM »
I must say though. She isn't normally like this lol ... Apart from jumping in the pond its her favorite activity  :005: :005:

It doesn't stop either, I had pluto at 10 wks old and he jumped in the pond the day I bought him home. He's now 20months old and still jumps in the pond at least once a week lol  :005:
2 Spaniels, 2 children, 2 VW's, 2 jobs and a Hubby, Phewwww!!!!!!
Now 3 Spaniels, 2 kids, 2 VW's, 1 full time job and a Hubby.

Offline Luke1989

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
Yep !! And in the park !! Sometimes i try to avoid the lake if its not very hot ! No chance lol straight in every time  :lol2:

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
Same here too.  Pebbles so full of energy first thing in the morning which I suppose is not surprising when slept all night.  Pity I'm not the same.  Has her moments during the day and a mad half hour in the evening.
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline maddy74

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
Willow was like that when we had her as Oh was at work he didnt believe it until one weekend day he got up with her. She had me in tears some days as I was off sick when we first had her, however she is 7 months now and has mellowed no end. I remember texting my friend one day to say I had enjoyed a relaxing bath, the first one since we had the pup and she laughed and said how bad could it be, then she came and met willow and sympathised. Doing any thing was a nightmare, like you say, showering, washing up, anything that wasnt revolving around her. These days she does have energy first thing but after I walk her first thing and then come home and feed her, she then has a little play on her own whilst I get ready and she is usually ready for a kip then. She is easier to calm now too. there is light at the end of the tunnel, promise  :005: :005: :005: :005:

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
Looking forward so much to the light at the end of tunnel.  :005: 
Misty 3.6.2011 - 1.11.2016

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »
Yes they do

I often have the wall of death madness/mayhem with some pups around about 6pm - I just used to stand back in the kitchen and let them get on with it as if I was close by I'd end up with nips + its not worth trying to teach them not to bite you at this point as they're too hyper to listen.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »
Diesel is a nightmare at roughly 9:25pm until about 11:00pm
He has walks etc and i try to tire him out but its round about that time every night that he has 'Hyper Hour'
Its like he builds up his energy waiting for 9:25pm to come :)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11