Author Topic: How did your first walk go?  (Read 774 times)

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
How did your first walk go?
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
I'll be taking Griffin for his first walk today - I'm excited! I was wondering if I should let Griffin explore (i.e. follow him wherever his nose takes him) or be strict with 'no pulling, this is the way we're going') from the start. I don't want to get into any bad habits, but I do want to go at his pace and let him have fun - especially today!

What was your first walk like? Any tips? Let him off the lead from day one?

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: How did your first walk go?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
That's so exciting :D
Yes, let little Griffin :luv: off straightaway.
As I'm sure the other new puppy parents
will tell you, they don't tend to go too far
from you at that age because the big
world is a bit scary for wee doggies :005:
Enjoy your walk!
steffxxx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:45:24 AM »
Definitely let him off lead from day one. This is your very best chance to establish a good recall as part of his routine (it will go out of the window when he becomes adolescent and discovers his nose, but that's another story).

At the moment Griffin will be keen to be with you, so take some extra tasty treats like little pieces of cheese or cooked chicken and every time you see him starting to come towards you say "Griffin come," or whatever you choose, and reward and praise him when he gets back to you.

If 2 of you are walking him you can play a little game of one person holding him, the other one going a short distance away, then the first person letting Griffin go at a moment when he's focussed on the second person who can then call him in and praise and reward.

Can't give you any advice about lead walking though as I've clearly failed on that front. My 2 don't go on lead very much and think they're Huskies pulling a sled when they're on their leads :005:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
Hi Writercat, Penny's not fully vaccinated yet, but I've been taking her on a few walks on the lead in the front garden where she doesn't usually go - not very successfully in that she charges around trying to get under bushes etc and isn't too co-operative with walking nicely. I'm really looking forward to going on pavements and unfamiliar places with her but it's going to be another couple of weeks  >:(

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
Completely agree with everything elaine.e has said, let Griffin off from today.... its scarey but definitely worth it!  Just get yourself to a safe place and let the little fella go  :luv: its really the best time to build that bond with him... Enjoy  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:55:58 AM »
 ;) agree with the other posts about letting Griffin off lead from walk one...

Freya loves being off lead now (almost 5 months old now) and has 99% good recall!! Pups dont go far from you and enjoy yourselves and if going to a park or somewhere def take the camera along!!
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »
Thanks everyone! I'll try him off the lead, I think. And what do you think about making him follow me on the lead versus letting him explore the big wide world at his own pace?

Offline black taz

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »
You will probably find he may be reluctant to walk on the lead, or alternatively want to be everywhere at once.  A lots depends on how much time you have and how far it is to where you can let him off as to whether you want to keep stopping and starting to get him to walk next to you.  but definately let him off if you have a safe place (Taz decided on his first experience off lead that playing with two fully grown retrievers was the best fun ever -despite me worrying he would get squished to death)

My first dog (collie cross) was a dream on lead from day 1 - but we went with a friend and her dog who was well trained and she just followed him.   

Whatever you do, enjoy

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
I'm happy to report that the walk went well! It was a total joy! Griffin met a few other dogs (and spent most of his time on his back), I let him off lead... and he came back, he sniffed everything, and it took a lot longer than expected (although very little of that was actual walking!). Will put some pics up in a minute.

Thanks so much for your advice everyone!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
 :luv: :luv: :luv:
Really pleased it went well, and yeah - don't plan on them being quick, when you have something that cute with you it can take ages  :005:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »
:luv: :luv: :luv:
Really pleased it went well, and yeah - don't plan on them being quick, when you have something that cute with you it can take ages  :005:

Thank you! So much for a 15-minute walk, eh?!

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »
 ph34r never thought a half hour trip to the town with Freya would take an hour and a half when she was smaller  >:( :lol2:

Glad you had a lovely walk--the 1st of many
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)