Author Topic: When is a cocker not a cocker  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
Re: When is a cocker not a cocker
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »

Just glad I stimulated the debate and in so doing I may have stopped some dogs ending up in rescue centres, as the owners cannot cope!
 :luv:

Sorry Gary, but anyone who is interested enough to come to this forum and read the posts will very soon come across the phrases 'working' and 'show' and so are unlikely to confuse the two. Those who are perhaps buying the wrong strain for them are not those who are doing their research thoroughly and coming here.

Having said which those who for example take on a rescue dog will have no clue what they are getting and seem to cope pretty well all told.  Cockers are Cockers regardless of the strain and I am more concerned about people mistaking them for a lapdog than attempting to separate the strains as different breeds.

Offline garygttdi

• Site Member
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »
If you took the time to read the words and not what you want to see you will see I said they are all wonderful dogs and I love them all.

The point I was making was that we have show and workers separated into two very distinctive sub groups, its called evolution ( or breeding). I am not confused yes they are both cockers (Jane S) if you read may thread you will see I never said otherwise, however they are Show cockers and Working cockers.

I have never said that either was called the wrong thing I was saying lets use the correct label for the correct dog and that way we save any confusion, and that’s all I was saying.  Attacking me for my view is unfair, unhelpful and shows a lack of manners and respect. My comment about a cross breed being a mongrel was out of order and I apologise although if my words had been read you would have noticed that I said I love Cocker/crosses very much and have seen some wonderful examples.

I for one,will cease to post on this site as I feel I have been hammered enough, for trying to debate what I thought was a worthwhile subject.

Good bye.
 :police:

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
You knew that your viewpoint would cause controversy as is obvious from your posts. Nobody has attacked you personally, but everyone has had a frank exchange of views which is what you wanted isn't it?

So why would you leave over an issue that you brought up?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
You knew that your viewpoint would cause controversy as is obvious from your posts. Nobody has attacked you personally, but everyone has had a frank exchange of views which is what you wanted isn't it?

So why would you leave over an issue that you brought up?

Something like heat and kitchen maybe?  ;) ....altho he stoked the stove
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »
My comment about a cross breed being a mongrel was out of order and I apologise although if my words had been read you would have noticed that I said I love Cocker/crosses very much and have seen some wonderful examples.

Gary, nobody attacked you personally - they are disagreeing with what you said (although you seem to be backtracking somewhat now) as is every member's right. You are still acting as if what you said was correct - it wasn't in any way shape or form, especially not in your reference to mongrels and the Kennel Club's attitude to mixing show/working lines (implying they could not be registered).

Anyway, I think it's time to put this thread to bed so I will close it.
Jane