Author Topic: Yuck! A new level to bird obsessed!  (Read 1051 times)

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
Yuck! A new level to bird obsessed!
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:35:35 PM »
I know cockers are bird obsessed but I wasn't expecting this to happen. This morning whilst out on our walk Charlie grabbed a baby blackbird. I tried to get him to drop it, but he had his teeth clamped tight shut, and then he ate it  ph34r

I did get a bit hysterical about it and went home crying and almost being sick. OH said I can't be mad at him because he was just following his hunting instinct. I just feel horrible that he did this  :'(
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Yuck! A new level to bird obsessed!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:31:51 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I felt the same when Disney caught and ate a baby rabbit. I had visions of mummy rabbit and daddy rabbit out looking for their baby and that made me feel even worse  ph34r
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »
Oops :005: If you had ignored him he may have dropped it. We have learnt with Jeff to ignore him if he's got something he shouldn't then grab it as soon as he drops it, as if we try and take it off him he eats it  ph34r

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
 >:( mmm...not very nice but certainly sounds like nature....will dread Freya doing something like this though!!
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:30:06 AM »
My friend has 2 labradors who frequently catch rabbits in the fields and expect her to be full of praise for them! Pepper chased  his first rabbit over the fields this week and also came upon a phesant in the bushes..so maybe I will be facing the same as you.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
Louis swallowed a live Greenfinch whole when he was about 10 or 11 weeks old :o

A week or so after that he proudly trotted into the house with a Blackbird wing, just the wing  :005:

I'm not sure that he's eaten anything else that was still alive but he's crunched up a Pheasant leg that was the remains of a fox kill and eaten most of a freshly dead rabbit. He's also appeared from the garden with a few feathers round his mouth from time to time. He prefers freshly dead when it comes to eating and restricts himself to rolling if it's something that's been dead long enough to stink :020:

Somehow I don't think he'd be suitable for proper gundog training :005:

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »
Nerys has picked up a few things - some dead, some alive - but so far has always dropped them when asked (or more likely when I shriek 'let go'  :005:).  She does have a bit of a thing about the feathers that are all over our school field at the moment, and has been running round and round with a feather in her mouth this morning  :lol:

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »
Nerys has picked up a few things - some dead, some alive - but so far has always dropped them when asked (or more likely when I shriek 'let go'  :005:).  She does have a bit of a thing about the feathers that are all over our school field at the moment, and has been running round and round with a feather in her mouth this morning  :lol:

Good gosh i need to keep my rabbit well and truly locked up around Diesel lol
Funnily enough he does love to pick up feathers :)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Christal

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
My previous Cocker, Jade, used to lay like a spinx in the garden then pounce when the birds had landed.

Never killed them though... she used to bring them into the house and let them loose  :luv:  You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to try and let the poor little things out without injuring them. 

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
Tia was out with Andrea yesterday and trotted up all pleased with a rabbit in her mouth. Forementioned rabbit was dead (do not know if it was already dead when she found it)

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
Thanks all, at least I know it's not just my cocker  :-\
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11