Author Topic: Hi everyone help please!!!!!!!!  (Read 1428 times)

Offline jonleomartin

Hi everyone help please!!!!!!!!
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:33:15 PM »
 :D

Hi Everyone, Jon and Becky from Worcester Uk here.
We are really interested in getting a dog and like cocker spaniels. We also did a dog compatibility online test(don't know how reliable) and this breed of dog came out most suitable to us based on lifestyle.
Becky works different shifts some 5 hours some 9.5 but has an hour travel on top of that, I work six hour shifts currently.
We need to know whether we would be suitable to own one of these beautiful dogs being as the dog would be alone for up to six-eight hours some days.
We have a cat and I have two children who are 3 and 4 who stay over every other weekend.
Please give us some advice as to whether it would be fair on a dog?

Jon

Offline siam

• Site Member
Re: Hi everyone help please!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »
My children were much older before we had our first cocker but all 4 children had a great relationship with him and he was of a manageable size that meant they were able to take him for walks. Our present cocker Alfie is very rarely left on his own for more than 3 hours so I would be looking for a dog walker or dog sitter to help you out on days that he/she might be left alone for 6 - 8 hrs as it's a long time to be left on his/her own and I wouldn't do it.

Offline jonleomartin

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »
Ok thanks I appreciate that.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:55:39 PM »
Hiya, it does sound like a long time to be left unless you have a family member that could help you out  :D

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »
I wouldn't like to check the "no" and say you are unsuitable owners as thats a bit harsh, but you would certainly need a dog-sitter/ walker for those days alone. As a very young pup this wouldn't be ideal at all, I wouldn't want to leave a pup for that long  :-\ you'd have to come up with some strategies as ways round it

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
To be honest 6-8 hours is far too long to leave a dog and especially a pup so, you would need to make some other arrangements for those days if you seriously want to have a dog  ;)

I am curious to know why you think a cocker is the most suitable breed for your lifestyle :dunno:
Julie and Watson

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:27:03 PM »
Even though we've owned dogs for many years we were recently checked out before taking on a rescue cocker spaniel.

I'm sorry to say that, based on the criteria that were used during our application, your lifestyle would almost certainly not be considered suitable for a dog, especially a puppy and more especially a cocker spaniel puppy.
You'll have seen some of the valid concerns posted by others on here but please understand that we're only concerned with the welfare of the dog.
Please don't be too disheartened though. It does you great credit that you've taken the responsible step of asking for advice before getting a dog. I just wish more people would do that and I really hope there's some way of working around the difficulties so that you're comfortably able to welcome a new friend into your home.
Do take the time to read through the posts on this forum, you may well find advice or guidance that will allow you to achieve your aim without the dog being left too long by itself.

Bob.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:39:02 PM »
What worries me is that Cocker Spaniels are very sociable and love the company of their Humans, I have 2 and even each others company doesn't compare to ours :-\ I wouldn't want to tick the no box either as there are full time workers on here who make it work, but it will be hard work and 6 hrs is too long , you would require a walker or family member to call in during that time ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:13:16 AM »
Sorry, I'm not going to answer this one.

Today, was the first time for months and months that I left my two in the house for just over six hours. I had them out early in the morning for a good walk though.

Back home Lucy gave her usual welcome home and then got on with more interesting things.  :005: However, Poppy is a much more family bonded dog and hasn't left my side since. Currently sleeping on settee beside me.

What I think I am trying to say is that Lucy could cope with maybe a dog walker for an hour about lunchtime but Poppy would get too stressed.

Offline jonleomartin

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »
OK thankyou everyone, really appreciate the comments. Will definately leave it for now. Thanks all :)

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:21:54 AM »
It would not be fair to leave a dog or puppy for that long....sorry
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »
Hi there, just wanted to say that when I got my Odie at 8 weeks old, I was at home all day, sometimes not a good thing too as he was so used to me being around 24/7 that when I did need to leave him for the school runs (only 30 mins each time), he'd suffer very bad separation anxiety.  I eventually overcome this problem (at around 19 weeks old) with lots of training, patience and time, which I had fortunately. 

My point is, they are so dependent on you for the first few months that I even felt guilty leaving him for our weekly Tesco shop (around 1 hour :shades:).  I was surprised at just how people orientated these little dogs are, even though I'd read and researched the breed and my hubby had been around them all his life.  Odie will still follow me everywhere and he is now nearly 21 months old.  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline ShellyJeff

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 01:02:49 AM »
When we got our puppy Benson I was home all day for until he was 11 months, he too suffered from separation anxiety when I went back to work. We got Millie our older Cocker to keep him company and he was so much better!

We both worked but my Mother in law came into them twice a day on a Weds & Friday, my partner works from home on Mon and Tues & Thurs our dog walker comes and takes them for an hour so they were never alone long. Then weekends we're both home and I take them out visiting relatives if I go.

Just realised I keep saying them but we sadly lost Millie to kidney disease :0(

It is ok if you can get around leaving them alone but even we're looking for an older one this time because it wouldn't be fair to get another pup.
Benson 04/08/2009

Offline black taz

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »
I find Taz much more anxious that the other two dogs i have owned as an adult.  My collie cross was left from day one 3 days a week for 5 hours and she was fine (eventually it was every day for 6 hours and she was fine).

Kira (my lab) would probably be fine as well, she is much more laid back.  Taz, he would probably bark most of the time.  I am lucky at the moment, my sons work different shifts and the dogs are rarely left more than 2 hours a day (then perhaps only a couple of times a week).  However, if the lads are still in bed when i go to work Taz does bark quite a lot apparently.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
Hi and welcome from us just down the road in Kidderminster.

I do think that a puppy would find it hard to be left that long but if your prepared for the cost, you could use doggy day care (I can recommend someone in Worcester) or a dog walker. 

You may find an older dog that would be happy to be left BUT I would anticipate most of the rescues would have a problem with your hours and the age of the children.

Let me know if you want to look at Day care and I will pass on the website details.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie