Author Topic: WOW, WOW, WOW  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Mel X

• Mels Crafty Delights
WOW, WOW, WOW
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:02:06 AM »
Harley is settling in really well, I'm chuffed to bits.  He's been out for his first walks - I was VERY nervous following everyones advice to let him off the lead first time!  You were all spot on and he's now rarely on the lead on his walks and comes when called even when other dogs and people are around.  He's only three months old but just wanted to ask - when he approaches adolescence do I keep him on the lead more or just wait and see whether he wants to clear off and do his own thing?  He's not neutered so dunno how much this will influence him!

I did panic yesterdays - there I was walking along and checking text messages so took my eyes off him for a second.  Looked up - no pup!  Looked behind me - no dog.  Looked front and back again, almost twirling on the spot, panic hitting - I'VE LOST MY COCKER!!!!!!   Then looked down at my feet!!  He was sitting down gazing at me - awwww bless him!!  So different from my goldie who I chased over hill, down dale and along many a stream when he was prime!!!

Guess I hope history won't repeat itself  :luv:

Mel X

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
Re: WOW, WOW, WOW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
Great feeling when they don't want to leave you isn't it. My Dexter is still entire almost five months and still spends most of his time off lead. He does have his moments but does come back and he is a goldie.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
Misha used to do that as a pup - I'd think I'd lost her and would turn around looking all over for her only to find her at my feet.  Even now she does it - must look quite comical when I'm looking around for her and she's following me at my heel.

Out of all my dogs she is the one that comes for a walk with me :luv: :luv:, for the others I'm just the taxi  :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline karen488

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »
Re teenage years. We're going through that at the moment (just coming up to 9 months). I'm letting her off the lead as normal but only walking where she really can't get to a road. Think our problem was exacerbated by her being on a lead a lot on holiday a couple of weeks before. She is slowly getting better. Well done for such a good start!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »
I did panic yesterdays - there I was walking along and checking text messages so took my eyes off him for a second.  Looked up - no pup!  Looked behind me - no dog.  Looked front and back again, almost twirling on the spot, panic hitting - I'VE LOST MY COCKER!!!!!!   Then looked down at my feet!!  He was sitting down gazing at me - awwww bless him!! 

I had to put a cat bell on Jesse when he was tiny as I kept tripping over him all the time because he kept doing that to me.  :lol2:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Dimples

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:19:45 PM »
Amount of times I have panicked - thinking OMG where is he  :o  then i look down and he is at my feet  :angel:
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
Elsie is like that, she never leaves my heels and rarely goes to explore. Mali (golden) on the other hand  >:D >:D >:D
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »
I have a similar prob with my yorkie.
Those of you who have met me will know that I am built for comfort, not speed  ;)
I have these 2 large appendages that get in the way of everything, and if I turn round, my big bum gets in the way!!  :005:
The number of times I have stood there like an idiot at the end of a walk yelling POPPY COME!!!! at the top of my voice to suddenly look down and see my little yorkie sitting underneath me wondering why I am yelling!   :005:  Perhaps I should get a tighter bra?!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Megatron

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »
We're learning to trust that when Meg disappears into the undergrowth she will come back! Takes a bit of a leap of faith.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
I have a similar prob with my yorkie.
Those of you who have met me will know that I am built for comfort, not speed  ;)
I have these 2 large appendages that get in the way of everything, and if I turn round, my big bum gets in the way!!  :005:
The number of times I have stood there like an idiot at the end of a walk yelling POPPY COME!!!! at the top of my voice to suddenly look down and see my little yorkie sitting underneath me wondering why I am yelling!   :005:  Perhaps I should get a tighter bra?!

:lol2:  :lol2:  :lol2:

It is heartening to read the "take a leap of faith" posts,because as scary and worrying as it is we have to trust/teach them to come back because a dog that spends the rest of their life onlead IMO is not living life to the full.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline weekir

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:34:37 AM »
aw thats great..thats what im afraid of..my cocker is 3 months and ive no let him of the lead yet incase he runs away..

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
aw thats great..thats what im afraid of..my cocker is 3 months and ive no let him of the lead yet incase he runs away..
Bless ya heart... he's much better let off the lead while he've very young and you're his centre of attention... as they get older they get more confident and if let off for the first time then are much more likely to go off exploring  :luv:  Go somewhere safe, secure/awy from roads and give it a shot - take lots of favourite treats with you, just little bits, and reward anytime he checks in with you/comes back to you... play with him and just become the most exciting thing in his world...  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
Looked behind me - no dog.  Looked front and back again, almost twirling on the spot, panic hitting - I'VE LOST MY COCKER!!!!!!   Then looked down at my feet!!  He was sitting down gazing at me - awwww bless him!! 

The number of times I have done this !!! :005:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
Bless ya heart... he's much better let off the lead while he've very young and you're his centre of attention... as they get older they get more confident and if let off for the first time then are much more likely to go off exploring  :luv:  Go somewhere safe, secure/awy from roads and give it a shot - take lots of favourite treats with you, just little bits, and reward anytime he checks in with you/comes back to you... play with him and just become the most exciting thing in his world...  :luv:

Please take Maggies' advice,he is still so wee he won't be able to outrun you and dogs NEED to run  ;)
There is a sticky on the board how to teach a reliable recall,or research it,google is your best friend !
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.