Author Topic: I think it's going to have to be a muzzle *UPDATE*  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Pam501

Re: I think it's going to have to be a muzzle
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
I'm completely new with this Cocker lark but I've found Toby who is nearly 5 months old just loves to carry things in his mouth and I give him a rubber ring with a bell toy and he takes it to the park with him.  He just loves to carry it around and looks very proud of himself whilst doing it.  It might distract your doggy from picking things up because I've noticed when Toby isn't carrying his toy back home, he picks up anything he can find.

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: I think it's going to have to be a muzzle *UPDATE*
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Thanks Pam.  I've tried that and Toby isn't interested in anything when out, other than bits and bobs he can pick up from the ground.  It wouldn't have been so bad if he just carried them but he was intent on chewing and swallowing.  After making himself ill twice I thought a muzzle was the way forward for now.  It seems to be breaking the habit.  I'll update again when I hope I can say "we've cracked it" and Toby does a reliable "leave" 100% of the time, or even better, loses interest in scavenging altogether  :005:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »
well done  :D  He will grow up and find other things interesting and you sound like you're making great progress  ;)

- I know what you mean about muzzle perceptions  :-\  we bumped into a springer in the New Forest a while ago and the first thing I said to his owner was "stone eater?"  - he nearly burst into tears because we guessed right and didn't automatically 'avoid' his dog because of the 'aggressive dog' connotation that a muzzle gives  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
well done  :D  He will grow up and find other things interesting and you sound like you're making great progress  ;)

- I know what you mean about muzzle perceptions  :-\  we bumped into a springer in the New Forest a while ago and the first thing I said to his owner was "stone eater?"  - he nearly burst into tears because we guessed right and didn't automatically 'avoid' his dog because of the 'aggressive dog' connotation that a muzzle gives  :-\

Yes Helen, it's very much a "foregone conclusion" that just because a dog wears a muzzle then it's vicious.  I was determined not to get upset when children and dogs were being moved out of the way because Toby's health is more important.  In retrospect though, most people have been surprised to see a cocker wearing a muzzle and understood about the "eating problem".

Offline max2011

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »
I have just come across this thread when searching for muzzle. THis morning I took Max to the vets as he has been sick in the night and had diarrhea for the last few days. Max has never had proper solid poos and the vets think it is because he is such a scavenger. He eats leaves, bark, twigs etc but has now started digging up the garden and eating the grass roots and mud, slugs etc It has been suggested that I try him with a muzzle to see if that improves his poo consistency!!!

On walks he will hold his ball so is less likely to eat anything he shouldn't. It is the garden that is the hot spot.

I haven't bought a muzzle yet as was wondering whether to try without it by only taking him in the garden to toilet and always on a lead. I could try the ball trick in the garden too maybe?!?!?

Obviously Max's health is the most important factor so if I have to use a muzzle I will. I just know it will be a battle to put it on and don't want him to associate asking to go out with that as toilet training may go backwards!!

Would love to know what you think as if I should go the muzzle route I need to start soon. Thanks

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »
We have just bought a muzzle for Mollie  :huh: she has to wear one at 'check-in,en route to our cabin and when exercised on the ferry  ph34r. We are putting it on her in the house for a few minutes every few days ,with a treat as we take it off  :-* We have until Dec so taking it slowly, hoping if she associates it with treats she will accept it  ;)

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
Max
You seem to be thinking this through very carefully and I agree that putting a muzzle on just for garden use could end up with Max not asking to go outside to the toilet if he hates the muzzle.  This is a tricky one.  Toby scavenges in the garden too, but we have the patio fenced off so he doesn't get unsupervised time in the garden.  So it's only on walks where we have been hitting major problems.  Incidentally, his poops are "great" now he's not stuffing himself with all the c**p he finds on walks.  Toby has got used to his muzzle, in fact it didn't take him long.  He does sometimes roll about trying to remove it but it stays put unless he plays with another dog.  The only thing I can suggest is that you get Max totally used to wearing the muzzle so that when he goes outside to the toilet, putting the muzzle on is no problem for him.  Make putting it on fun and offer treats, especially before it goes on.

I find it a godsend at the moment and the fact that he's not causing himself sickness, diarrhoea or runny poops (and infection) makes it worthwhile but ultimately I want to take him out without it, so working on the "leave" command is vital.

Offline max2011

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Just took him out to toilet in the garden on a short lead with ball in mouth - he wasn't impressed not to have chance to run around and scavenge but has already had 2 walks/runs and will be having a third later before puppy training so hopefully I can stop the eating of nasties today. However in the long run it is no fun if he can't play around in the garden so a muzzle is probably going to be a necessity as all he does is sniff around and munch!! I hope this is something they grow out of.

We practice a leave it technique learnt in puppy classes where I put a treat on the floor, tell him to leave it and then  after a few seconds let him have it. Also do this with his food bowl which works fine. However trying it with anything else eg a dropped sock, food and he does not leave. Also he knows that with the treat he gets it eventually. How do you train to leave it??

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
Unless Toby is having a cocker mad fit, he will leave things in the house now more or less on command.  Just keep saying "leave" every single time he goes for something he shouldn't have and when he obeys, give the treat and praise, praise, praise.  He will "get it" before too long.  The secret is to watch him carefully and as soon as he goes for it give the "leave" command.  Toby associates "leave" (and other commands) with a treat and it is this association which helps to teach them.  It's harder on a walk though because I can't get treats through his muzzle but I do praise him.  Perseverence will get us there, I'm sure, but scaveging is a horrible habit which I really hope he grows out of but there are no guarantees.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »
Forgot to mention - do you have a clicker?  These are excellent training tools as well.  The second the dog obeys a command, you click then treat.  They will then associate that noise with getting a treat.  The most important thing with using a clicker is that you literally click the second the dog obeys, not before or after.

Offline max2011

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
thanks neon
hearing how this has worked for you is giving me lots of hope. Yes I have a clicker so will have a go clicker training leave. Tricky at moment as vet wants him to stick with bland chicken and rice until  tummy gets better so means not using normal treats! He is rubbish at leaving though unless I  get there first to remove item. Will grab anything on floor and then decide whether to eat it or spit out. Also runs away as he knows he should not have it! Oh well will keep on with it.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »
Yup Max, that's exactly what they do, given the chance  :005:  Stick with it, keep giving the command, then treat and praise (or click, treat and praise).  Yes, you need to get his tummy better before you give normal treats but if he is on chicken at the moment, try and save a little for treating and start as soon as you can.  Sometimes it feels like a losing battle but you do get there in the end.  Good luck, glad I could be of some help.

Oh, if you are removing from his mouth, this needs to be the "give" command.  "Leave" is used to stop them taking it in the first place.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
Also he knows that with the treat he gets it eventually. How do you train to leave it??

Don't ever give him the treat you have asked him to leave - give him a treat from the other hand and put the one he has left away....  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
Also he knows that with the treat he gets it eventually. How do you train to leave it??

Don't ever give him the treat you have asked him to leave - give him a treat from the other hand and put the one he has left away....  :D

Agree with Karma......we were taught to have something better in the other hand to give as reward and pick the others up and put them away  ;)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »

You beat me to it Claire  :D Victoria Stilwell also trains "leave it" this way.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.