Author Topic: Crates  (Read 696 times)

Offline Flickabella1

Crates
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:16:02 PM »
Out of interest those of you who use crates how do you use them and at what age did you change it? Beau is in his at night and was in it when I was at work 9-3 2 days a week with lunch out. I now feel mean shutting him in so leave him out more and more. Originally it was to help with toilet training and chewing which seems ok now!

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
Re: Crates
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
Toby is still in his crate at night and we have long discussions about this. In theory we would like to get rid of crate as would give more room and be easier when go away etc.

But all we need to do at night is say "in your bed" and off he goes. It means the cat can come and go without fear of being chased but the main one is we dont hear a peep out of him until we go downstairs - some nights he is in there 11pm - 9am!

We never had him in there during the day - when left alone he has 2 rooms (kitchen and messy room as we call it).

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 09:02:50 AM »
Penny is still in her crate at night too. She settles in there happily and it saves the door-scratching in the morning. We never hear from her until we get up  :luv: :luv:

If I have a visitor who doesn't do dogs I put her in with a kong or something similar, and occasionally she goes in for time out, but that hasn't been for a while.

These days, if I'm going out for a while I don't shut her in the crate any more, but I do shut her in the kitchen and make sure she has something absorbing to do - kong or similar. However, I don't ever leave her for more than a couple of hours and I make sure it's after exercise so she'll sleep.

I think a crate is a really good resource to have handy. I'll not be putting it away any time soon.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »
Jinley has a crate in a crate (if you know what I mean) :huh:

She has a canvas crate (which I also use for traveling) inside a large metal framed puppy whelping pen.  Now she is a little bigger she gets in and out when she wants her peace and quiet (she is in it now after her morning walk).  She gets shut in when we are sweeping and mopping the floors and for time out.

When she hears me putting newspaper down at night she jumps into her crate and settles in for the night (she is free to get in and out during the night for a wee on the paper if she needs to).  She does not make a sound until we get up in the morning at about 7.30 or 8.

I also will be keeping mine for a while.

Pat

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »
Willow is 11 months now and we stopped using the crate in the day at around 7 months. She still sleeps in there at night and we hope to keep this up forever as when we take her away either in a b and b, camping or over at friends she is familiar with her sleeping arrangments. We wont change this I dont think. 

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »
We stopped using Kira's around 7 months as well.  Once i was happy she wasnt going to chew the house to pieces, wee all over the place or just terrorise Taz whilst i was at work.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
We only fairly recently stopped using Barney's when we left him during the day.  He was about 14 months.  We decided he could be trusted alone as he hadn't destroyed anything for a while, and so far he has been fine.

Pippa (6 months)still goes into hers if we go out for more than 10 mins and has a kong or chew to occupy her.  I feel a bit mean leaving her in hers when Barney has the run of downstairs, but don't think she is ready to stop out yet. 

Both sleep in them at night and I think they like it this way.  It is their routine and security and I also think it is very useful when you go away with them.  Both were happy in their crates at night when we went camping, and Barney has been away to hotels and relatives with his, which worked well.

Offline karen488

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »
I am in mixed mind about the crate. Darcey hasn't been in one since 6 months ish and we haven't missed it. Bingley is only in it for feeding, our meals, when I'm out and overnight. Neither of them have ever really objected to a crate but it's never been a place they would choose to be. Think they are a godsend for house protection when you're out but can't wait til the big bulky thing is gone.

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
Clover accepted and has used her crate from day one. It's for her to sleep in at night, (like others have said, not a peep out of her till morning - lovely!), it's her safe haven (not that she appears to have ever felt the need for a safe haven so far!) and it used to be for 'time out' during her cockerdile days when v young.  I am not planning on getting rid of it at all as it is where she automatically runs to for her bedtime biscuit and she can go in it if, like Jonnydog said, a non dog loving friend visits or when we have the through-house oil delivery when both back and front doors have to be open. On the rare occasions Clover has been left at home alone I pop her in there - same procedure as bedtime. Also, with a sheet of hardboard topped with a rubber mat it doubles up as an excellent grooming table!!!  ;)   

We also have a large puppy pen which I dismantled only yesterday although I shall keep it packed away somewhere easy to get to, for 'just in case' - that was a real boon for all sorts of situations but now she can be trusted not to wee/poo or chew, or chase the cats so much, we don't need to use it any more really!
To know them is to love them.....

Offline pennylopey

• Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
Alfie has always had the run of the kitchen at night and he has the choice of his crate or a soft bed for sleeping, I think he varies!

We use the crate during busy times in the house and if ever either him or the children are getting a bit too hyper.

He is getting better behaved by the day though at the moment but I still don't think we'll be stopping the crate any time soon.
Missing Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
Grace will sleep in her bed in the crate at night or in the day it is her safe place. she can come and go at her will as we keep the door unlocked most of the time. we had the window people here today so i did lock her in as front door was open a lot and to protect the guys from been licked all day  :lol2: Grace never made a noise. We will not get rid of her crate as it is her own house.
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline primmer

• Murphy - working cocker spaniel
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »
Murphy will be 2 in feb and still uses his crate. It is one for large crates so he has plenty of room. He goes in every night and when we eat and he takes himself in their when tired. He loves his crate and it is still a place where he feels safe and secure. We have no plans to get rid of his crate as he loves it.
Rachel and Muphy x

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
Bella's 4yrs and still sleeps in her crate, it's her space, the door is always open. We have a canvas one for her too which we use when staying away, we do shut the door then though as good as she is I'd be mortified if she damaged anyone elses property.

Mollys 6 months and the door stays shut overnight, if out during the day we get the pen out so she has crate and pen. Mollys still chewing the odd thing she shouldnt also don't think it's fair on bella having a bouncy puppy disturbing her.

Offline Flickabella1

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »
Beau goes in it at night no problem but rarely chooses to go in it if I am here preferring the cat bed despite the bigger dog bed I got him aswell! I just feel a bit mean when it is all day(in 2 periods) but find it useful at night, in car, when away or round someone else's so I won't get rid of it. Was trying to gage how long people would leave them in for really as I don't mind for an hour or so but 3-4 hours seems a long time in the day?  :shades: