Author Topic: loose stools  (Read 1178 times)

Offline jen1876

loose stools
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »
JAsper is fine in himself, but every evening since Saturday has been producing very soft cow pat like stools. He hasn't been sick and has his usual appetite so I don't think he's unwell...in fact he's his usual self. He hasn't been pooing during the day at all just evenings and then the last night  has messed in his puppy pen with these sloppy poos. SHould I starve him today...or does he need to go to the vet? He's never had any problems with his health before this.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: loose stools
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:23:22 AM »
Wow you just took the words out of my mouth. I'm having the same thing with Archie. I've been told by fellow owner that it could be due to teething. I was also wondering if puppy food could be contributing and if I should consider adult food yet. He'll be 5 months on 1st Jan so I think it's too soon? Sending love to Jasper and hope both our boys firm up soon.  :luv:

Offline tessonfell

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
My puppy had loose stools when she was about 10 weeks old (she's 4 months now) and the vet said it was probably worms, even though she'd been wormed. I wormed her that day and again after a week (i think) and since then she's been OK. This reminds me that i need to worm her again - thanks!
Rupert & Trixie

Offline Tillymai

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
Bear (7 months) always gets loose if he has eaten something new or something he's picked up on a walk that he shouldn't have....  :020: Most of the time he's absolutely fine in himself and it sorts itself out and gets back to normal within 24 hours or so. But we've had a couple of times when he hasn't bounced back and instead has got dehydrated, tired and listless - then he's needed to go to the vet from some medication and special food.

I'd keep a really close eye on them and if it goes on longer than 24/48 hours, they stop drinking or they start to seem unwell and then I'd check with your vet asap. I was surprised just how quickly Bear seemed to go downhill when he got ill - but thankfully he bounced back just as quickly once the vet had given him some medicine. Puppies can be such a worry!

E x

Offline jen1876

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 09:10:31 AM »
Thanks everyone, well we went to the vets midweek, Jasper is still absolutely fine in himself but still doing sloppy cow pats! He is also only producing in the evening and then overnight...his appetite is fine, vet told us to give him  chicken and rice and gave us some canikur paste to use 2xdaily on his food. He was quite stinky mid week but this has eased off and the vet thought his tummy sounded gurgly on Wednesday...just wondering if anyone has any suggestions...vet suggested slowly reintroducing his dried food mixed with the chicken and rice (he's on pro plan puppy food) from yesterday but really don't know what to do! Do you think it's something that will just sort itself out eventually? Like I said he's absolutely fine in himself...the only othr thing that's different for him is that I've been home constantly since last Wednesday (he usually gets left for a couple of hours 3 times a week) and he's being walked by different people at different times (I got hit by a car and broke some ribs and sprained an ankle last week so obv can't do much walking at the mo.) COuld this be enough to upset him? Oh, and he's teething... :-\