Author Topic: Buddy's First Week  (Read 727 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Buddy's First Week
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:01:42 PM »
Well, Buddy came home a week ago today.

What a week it's been, but I have been helped by reading so many old and new helpful comments and advice on COL. Don't know what quivering/panicking state we'd been in if it wasn't for all of you.

We love our new boy so very much. He's a sweet, eager-to-please, cuddle monster! Ben has nicknamed him Captain Cuddles. He is a bit like velcro, and we love our cuddles, but after reading about the need to make him have some time away from us,  we have tried to do that, and he's coped really well. He sits on an old towel at my feet when I'm on the computer, goes into his crate on his own, just for rests.

He's eating well (always has!), we are learning to recognise when he needs to go out (often more like every 2 hours than 45mins we expected), and he has been known to ask to go out for a poo already.

We have tried to teach him to "sit", but he's a natural sitter and we will have to teach him to "stand" first!! :D

When he's not over-excited, he seems to be really trying to inhibit his mouthing. Unfortunately Ben usually sees him when he's at his most excited, and was nipped on his tummy this morning. He coped, and has forgiven him.

As he is getting bolder, he has started to enjoy playing in the garden with Ben, so they are gradually building a bond.

The first few nights were awful, tried everything apart from moving him into our room. Was just thinking I should go sleep downstairs with him, and gradually move away over the next week when he suddenly stopped howling!! We have had 2 great nights. Last night wasn't so good but that was our fault as I had to go to his room at 2.30 this morning. Decided to treat it like a loo trip, but he got very hyper, so tried to calm him down. He then couldn't understand why I put him back in his crate. But I'm sure he would have been fine if I hadn't needed to disturb him!

When we get ready to go out, he has started to put himself in the crate!! We tell him to look after the house, and he doesn;t seem to mind. Even did it this morning even though we took him with us (had to prise him out of the crate!)

Had his 1st Vaccination on Monday, and went so floppy and sleepy that I didn't sleep a wink. I thought we'd killed him. Fine in the morning though!!

Sorry to go on so long, but wanted you to know how we are doing. Will post some pics soon, but all our current ones are of sleeping pup!

Thanks for all your help. :P

Offline sarahb2206

• Site Member
    • http://
Buddy's First Week
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:26:38 PM »
:P   :P  :P

Wow!!!  Bet you are exhausted!!!! (more emotionally, I expect).  Glad everything is going ok.   :lol:  :lol:   Have an exrta special Mummy's day tomorrow!!!!  ( I went for my first cuddle today!!!!!!  :D  :D  :D ) - no doubt you will be giving me the advice in a couple of weeks time!!!!!! ;)
Sarah and Bramble XX

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Buddy's First Week
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 09:26:32 PM »
Hi Annette,

Firstly congratulations on having your little boy a week now  :D   Fortunately, we never had any problems at all with Piper sleeping through the night - she was always great, however, toilet training was a different matter entirely!!!

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Buddy's First Week
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 09:50:58 PM »
You are doing great :) ...it sounds like Buddy is well settled. Keep up the good work.

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Buddy's First Week
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 11:23:37 PM »
Sounds like Buddy's coming on a treat Annette  :D
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Sass

• Site Member
Buddy's First Week
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 11:16:40 AM »
Glad to hear that everything is going so well  :)
Sass and Alfie xx

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Buddy's First Week
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 09:19:01 PM »
Great to hear that everything is going well,
Look forward to seeing lots of pics of Buddy in the future.

Chelsea.