Author Topic: Need help working out how long a bottle of Metacam will last please  (Read 13254 times)

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
As the title says I am trying to work out how long a bottle of Metacam will last.

If I have got a bottle of 100ml and the dosage is 19kg what is the answer  :005:

Sorry I am probably being blonde!

Woofie has been suffering with old age recently, the vet suggested we may have to think about putting him on a maintenence dose of metacam, I told him I wasn't happy about that because of the side effects but he said at some stage we had to weigh up the benefits (and that I shouldn't believe everthing I read on the internet!)

Am feeling quite sad about Woofie getting older, not only he is going up stairs slower, and missing jumping on the bed sometimes, we recently went for a walk with a few other people with their dogs at a country park and he lost me and OH, he couldn't make us out in the crowds. (It broke my heart to see him running in the opposite direction looking at people to see if they were us  :'( ) The vet did say his cataracts were getting worse but when we are on our usual walk he has no problem spotting us, but then there aren't that many people out.  And he can see a dog or a cat from a quarter of a mile away!  OH doesn't agree with me but I think he can only see shapes from a distance.

Sorry to ramble on ... any help with the metacam question would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Need help working out how long a bottle of Metacam will last please
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »
I just went to check the data sheet to work it out for you but must have thrown it away!

When Dallas was on 15kg dose, a 100ml bottle lasted him just over 3 months
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
I just went to check the data sheet to work it out for you but must have thrown it away!

Thanks.

Vet just charged us £22 for a 32ml bottle but having looked at posts on here I can see you can get it for a lot cheaper, will have to ask the Vet how much they charge for a prescription.

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
 ;) I think "viovet" is a good company my friends buys the met am from....she usually buys the huge big one for her lab....must admit none of my woofs have ever had any side effects from its usage and one woof was on it long term from about 5 years til she was nearly 15 years old....I think it's good stuff....
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »
Dallas has been on it for years now and I've always bought it from my vets but I asked for a prescription last time as I was able to get a 180ml bottle for about £18. He only gets a 10kg dose now as he's lost a lot of weight so that bottle will probably last him forever  :005:

Edited to add: if my calculations are correct, a 100ml bottle should last you approx 80 days.

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »
Dont understand??
Is 19kg the weight of your dog ?

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 10:33:28 PM »
Dont understand??
Is 19kg the weight of your dog ?

I was confused by this too but have dug out a bottle of unopened (but indate) Metacam I had for my previous cocker. The doseage is 0.1mg per kg bodyweight, which is 1ml for a 15kg dog. The syringe is marked in kgs which is meant to help you measure out the correct amount but it goes up to 60kg! from what I remember I had to fill it to the 10 mark for Jake which must have been the 1ml dose. It's all rather confusing, but the vet showed me how far to fill the syringe so I went with that.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
It's so sad when they start to slow down  :'( :'(. And Woofie is such a darling  :luv: :luv:

I'm a firm believer of quality of life over quantity so would agree with your vet.

Millie

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »

The bottle I have was for 15kg dose once daily. That was filling the syringe up to the 10 mark, which I think is 1ml  but it will depend on the dose that your vet has prescribed how long the bottle will last. I do remember Jake being on 20mls post op earlier then he was on it again when he was 11 and a half for arthritis, but not for long as it didn't agree with him.

I wouldn't be too upset at Woofie losing you when you were with a group of people as when we were at a cockers meet in Nov, Alfie who is 2yrs, ran straight past us and off in the opposite direction frantically looking for us and we had to run back the way shouting and whistling before we got reunited! How old is Woofie?

Offline rogermanley

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
Here in France a 180ml bottle costs me 62€ ! I cannot get it cheaper on the internet as the UK suppliers demand a prescription in English, which is reasonable. French Internet sites are not much cheaper.

The dose is easy to administer as the provided syringe is graduated in marks equivalent to the weight of the dog. So, for example my old Curly Coated Retriever weighs 40kg and so the syringe must be filled to the graduation marked "40", she has one dose at that level per day. (At that weight the bottle does not last long!).

For the casual reader who has never used the medication, the syringe has no needle it is used to suirt the medication into the dog's mouth !

I do not begrudge my old girl (13 next month) the cost as it really does help her rear hips, the effect is rapid and evident.

Roger
Roger Manley

Offline seaangler

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »

Thanks.

Vet just charged us £22 for a 32ml bottle but having looked at posts on here I can see you can get it for a lot cheaper, will have to ask the Vet how much they charge for a prescription.

Its about a fiver they charge....(Both are vets do Dog and Horse) >:(

We have to buy are pain killer(for Cindy) from the vet at 25 pounds a time every six weeks...But they are cheaper than Pet drugs on line :D

Not sure how it works out either are bottle is also 100ml and we give cindy 20 (in the tube) every morning :D

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

I think we will be making the decision soon that he needs to go on it permanently, but will book him into the Vets for blood tests for his renal function before we do so.

Yes, the reason I was confused is because the syringe is in kg so because Woofie is 19kg we give the 19kg dosage on the syringe.  I didn't know what that equated to in ml!   I will also be asking the vet if we need to give the full dosage every day.

Woofie will be 13 at the beginning of May, bless him :luv:

Offline Beezzzkneez

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
Just a word about the side effects, a colleagues boxer is on it permanently as the poor old soul isn't doing so well anymore and will probably have to go over the bridge soon but it really helps him get through the day and enjoy life more, and he doesn't have any side effects. She told me that on Christmas Day he stole the uncooked turkey off the kitchen counter and ate almost the whole thing before they caught him and he was just lifeless for days - the reason was he wasn't hungry and they put his painkillers into his food! As soon as he got a syringe of his metacam he started feeling better again.

Don't know what they ended up eating for Christmas dinner, though.  :005:
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »
I used Metacam for my old collie  :luv: :luv:  for 2 years before he went to the bridge aged 15 1/2 and though I was well aware of the possible side effects I am glad I did as his quality of life was much greater.

I have found myself in the same position with my 12 year old cat Goldie over the last few months and have come again to the same decision as the quality of the time he has left is so important  :luv: :luv:

I would definitely recommend it as long as Woofies health is otherwise reasonable  ;)

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

I think we will be making the decision soon that he needs to go on it permanently, but will book him into the Vets for blood tests for his renal function before we do so.

Yes, the reason I was confused is because the syringe is in kg so because Woofie is 19kg we give the 19kg dosage on the syringe.  I didn't know what that equated to in ml!   I will also be asking the vet if we need to give the full dosage every day.

Woofie will be 13 at the beginning of May, bless him :luv:

We also give 20 kg as that is also what it says on the SYRINGE!!!!

Gemma..Cindy And peggy