Author Topic: "Outside .... wee wees"  (Read 1664 times)

Offline georgiesharp

• Gypsy aged 6 weeks
"Outside .... wee wees"
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »
Thanks for reading and i know toilet training questions are many but wanted to know your opinions on the words i am using. \i say the above and she goes outside and does her wee so she knows what i mean. I give her a treat as well. When she goes inside i yell "No.. wee wees outside" and pick her up and put her outside. She is 13 weeks. Do you think i am on the right track? She has known to wee outside for ages as well its just she still just goes ahead and does her business inside. I get no clues for a wee but she starts sniffing the ground for a poo and i often pick her up mid poo to go outside but its dropped on the floor. We have cleaned the carpets twice now and i also have an enzyme cleaner. It feels like there is no light at end of tunnel and it scares me when i read that it can carry on for up to a year and beyond. Aaaargh
Gypsy has come to create havoc in our lives. We love her but the cats do not!

Offline LinziS

• Erin
Re: "Outside .... wee wees"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
similiar to the words i use...outside pee pees but I also used clicker...so when she pee'd i clicked said the cue words and then treated....so yes think you are doing fine with what you are doing
I can only suggest that you take her out a bit more often ie after eating..after playing..after waking and sometimes just for the hell of it  :005: ...I swear i spent more time in the garden than i did the house the first couple of weeks.
Tilly has not had an accident in the house now for nearly 3 weeks..she whines at back door if needing out for the toilet...and when she just wants out to play...chase leaves...or eat the bloody grass....sometimes i feel like a jack in the box up/down..up/down etc.
Only thing i hate about it all is that some nights she whines at 4am to go pee as will not go in her crate...weather a bit nippy outside at that time of the morning  :005:
I just hoping she not lulled me into false sense of security and returns to doing it where she pleases

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline max2011

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »
I remember this well and thought Max would never get it. I think having a cue word is brilliant. We use go toilet. I would take Max outside and say the word when he was mid flow he then learnt to link the word with doing a wee. If you say it before he goes won't link it. Now I can open back door and say go toilet and he knows what he needs to do.

I think it is important to go outside with them every time in these early months (hard in the cold weather) so that you make sure they go, say the cue word and give lots of praise.

Max still had accidents until he was 5 months but now he goes to the back door and asks to go out. You will get there honestly. I kept having to remind myself that I don't know any un toilet trained dogs!!

Offline georgiesharp

• Gypsy aged 6 weeks
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »
Hi thanks for your replies...just had to break off as she just woke up and i ran to the door to say cue and she ran out and pretended to do one and i came back in and noticed i wasnt quick enough as she has done it already and just now she has pood aaaaaargh. Yes i know i should be watching more like a hawk instead of typing this but we are in the same room. Ido take her as soon as she has woken up and after playing. She still wees in her crate if desperate too. I dont take her as soon as she has eaten as i figure it will take a little while to filter through her body. I take her out every 20 minutes or so too. she is so random with her wees and poos. Should i stop her drinking so much (she is obviously on dry food) she doesnt have water overnight either.

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »
Don't lose heart she will get there in the end...it still very early days and i think I just been lucky with Tilly as she quite predictable..she will not eat if she needs a pee either....and always pees after eating and then will poo about an hour after feeding and first thing in the morning....and also we have an older cocker that i am sure she mimicing.
Dont restrict her access to water throughout the day but i also remove water bowl from crate at night 1) To stop her drinking too much over night and 2) she likes to paddle in it an soak everywhere  :005:
Persevere and it will all fall into place

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline georgiesharp

• Gypsy aged 6 weeks
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »
There is nothing i can do but persevere. I just expected it to be like my old dog who was as good as gold and learnt in about 2 weeks. thanks for your kind support

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
Thanks for reading and i know toilet training questions are many but wanted to know your opinions on the words i am using. \i say the above and she goes outside and does her wee so she knows what i mean. I give her a treat as well. When she goes inside i yell "No.. wee wees outside" and pick her up and put her outside. She is 13 weeks. Do

The 'wee wees' cue is fine but there's no point shouting 'No... wee wees outside' at her when she goes in the house - she doesn't understand what that means. She may actually identify the words she does know - 'wee wees' - and then you're just confusing her more because usually that means you want her to perform. Best to just pick her up. put her outside and praise her for going out there, I sometimes use an 'ah ah' noise with my dogs to interrupt an unwanted behaviour and then tell them or show them something else. She's still very young and I would not be considering limiting her water intake any further, it's a matter of patience and perseverance. Some of them do take a lot longer than others to house train but 13 weeks is still very early days really, she will get there!

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »
You and she are doing well. She'll get there. Archie was 14 weeks before he suddenly clicked but every now and then he has a little mishap - usually if I'm having a lie in and don't let him out early enough! I used similar cue words but made sure I kept "outside" totally separate from "do a wee" I would say outside and praise and treat when he stepped through the door and THEN used his cue word for either wee or poo. If he had an accident inside I said "no, outside" and took him out. I only ever used his cue word for wee or poo when he was actually outside. Might be worth a try. We are all with you. x

Offline georgiesharp

• Gypsy aged 6 weeks
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »
Never thought about that. I dont shout shout if you know what i mean but didnt think about her associating the wee wee bit . I shall instead pick her up and just say outside then. thanks

Offline dawn

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »
I always tried to get Henry outside as quick as poss when he woke up etc. I never said 'no' etc when he weeed  (is that the right amount of eeeeeees) inside, sometimes they just can't help it, with little bladders and not full control when they are small. He got there in the end, as will yours I'm sure. Keep going.... :lol2:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »
they do get it eventually, but will seem like ages - Stella was forever going outside spending ages faffing around then fooling me into believing she didn't want to go then coming in and weeing inside. Now she will wee on command outside - well after a circuitous route of the garden :005: but she doesn't ask to go out. None of this is helped by Wilf and Roobs getting overexcited every time I get up to take her out and thinking its some sort of game  :005:
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »
Thanks for reading and i know toilet training questions are many but wanted to know your opinions on the words i am using. \i say the above and she goes outside and does her wee so she knows what i mean. I give her a treat as well. When she goes inside i yell "No.. wee wees outside" and pick her up and put her outside. She is 13 weeks. Do

The 'wee wees' cue is fine but there's no point shouting 'No... wee wees outside' at her when she goes in the house - she doesn't understand what that means. She may actually identify the words she does know - 'wee wees' - and then you're just confusing her more because usually that means you want her to perform. Best to just pick her up. put her outside and praise her for going out there, I sometimes use an 'ah ah' noise with my dogs to interrupt an unwanted behaviour and then tell them or show them something else. She's still very young and I would not be considering limiting her water intake any further, it's a matter of patience and perseverance. Some of them do take a lot longer than others to house train but 13 weeks is still very early days really, she will get there!

This is what we did as well.  Our cue word is 'do wee wee', and we constantly say it until she's been and then lots of praise.  Molly is nearly six months and has been toilet trained in the house for a while now, but we still give her lots of praise.  Any accidents we either completely ignored if we were too late/or didn't see her do it, or we interrupted with an 'ah ah' and quickly got her outside, then lots of praise whilst saying 'do wee wee' when she went outside.  She randomly tried to do a poo in our en-suite the other day because she'd tried to scratch the door to get outside but we didn't realise (at least she was near the loo  :005:), so I quickly said 'ah ah' then ran downstairs with a chunky 10kg pup and got her outside!

Stick at it, you will get there!  All pups are different x
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline karen488

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:42 AM »
Bingley used to go outside and then come and pee inside 2 seconds later. I realised esp in the morning if he's excited he won't go properly. He goes out, pees, has his Kibble and then goes straight out again. Sometimes he would go out and then come in, but only pee outside if I went out with him. He was good as gold over Christmas on holiday but went back to having accidents when we got home. This has been the 1st week he seems to be fully sorted. He's a good 4 months old. It can be very disheartening to come on here and read "my pups been toilet trained since 8 1/2 weeks old"! But I really wouldn't worry about it  ;)

Offline georgiesharp

• Gypsy aged 6 weeks
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »
with so many replies its good to have encouraging words. thank you. It is disheartening to hear that others are practically trained the minute they get home from the breeders house! maybe it sounds good when a pup is brought up in a house but in the house they are brought up in they are allowed to wee and poo. The pups brought up in kennels are used to doing it outside from birth. this may be a lot to do with the fact some pups learn more quickly??