Author Topic: Still Jumping UP  (Read 1352 times)

Offline max2011

Still Jumping UP
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
Max is going to be 7 months this week and if anything his jumping up has got worse. He is constantly jumping up at the table, worksurfaces, less so people but still does a bit when excited.

We have always used the word off and gently removed him if he doesn't get down. It is usually either trying to see if there is any food or cloths on the worksurfce for him to take. We try and keep everything out of his reach but he will still jump up to try.

I am now not sure if he is ignoring the off term or doesn't understand it. Thought about clicking and treating when he gets off but think he would have far too many treats and that it may teach him that if he jumps up he will get a treat after!!!

Should he have learnt not to do this by now. Any advice on where I'm going wrong please as if he gets any bigger he will be able to steal allsorts!!!!

Offline Flickabella1

Re: Still Jumping UP
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Hmmm not much help but beau also does this!! Muddy prints on everything and a few bits of broken crockery and lost dinners!!!  :005:

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »
I do sympathise as we have exactly the same problem, in fact, I could have written your post myself.  I despair now of ever managing to stop Toby jumping up after having tried just about everything suggested.  Wish I could be positive and give you some encouragement.  I'll be watching this thread with interest!!

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »
No advice from this direction and Ollie is nearly two >:D
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
The kids are learning to keep tissues, food and cloths in the centre of the table... (hubby not so much - his banana was pinched this morning).

Pup goes in her crate for mealtimes unless its just me eating lunch in which case I can keep an eye on her.

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
Sorry (don't want to sound negative!) but Ruby is still doing this at 13 months old  >:D If anything she seems to be getting worse!!

I have followed everyones suggestions, but nothing has worked  >:D
Lynn

Offline Evadee

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
You might have worn the word "off" out, by saying it several times for one incident at at time.

Also if you have removed him when he has not responded, maybe he expects you to do that now?

Also he's possibly just being a challenging adolescent and pushing the boundaries a bit more, hang on in there and be consistant  ;)

We still have to tell Tia "off" at times and she is 17 months, since she has been speyed she has become particularly obsessed with human food, I daren't leave anything close the the edge of the worktop  >:(  She does understand "off" though and does respond (unless she thinks you aren't looking  :005:)

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
I am not much help.  Ellie is 7 years old and still jumping up.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
This summary is aimed at jumping up at people, but may help.

http://www.scallywagsdogs.com/Images%202010/Jumping%20up.pdf

With counter-surfing etc, you need to make sure he is never rewarded for doing it (so nothing left out that he can get!).  You also need to teach an alternate behaviour which is incompatible - we have trained Honey to lie down at the doorway to the dining room while we eat, so she gets treats while she is there, but not if she is pottering around the table (or jumping up) (ok, this has slipped with a 16 month old baby eating, but she's still not too bad!).  Likewise, when we are preparing meals, she knows she will get titbits as long as she is lying down, so she has no incentive to jump up.  

If needbe, use a lead initially so your dog is more likely to get it right more quickly.  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Dimples

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
Robbie also jumps up. Not so much at tables and work tops etc but at people constantly and also the door before going through it. Very frustrating and we are trying to be very firm but it goes in one ear and out the other!
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Sorry (don't want to sound negative!) but Ruby is still doing this at 13 months old  >:D If anything she seems to be getting worse!!

I have followed everyones suggestions, but nothing has worked  >:D
I can echo this with my naughty little Woody at 14 months old.

He's not so bad now and does listen and wait most times but I do occassiobally catch him boucning up to the breakfast bar for some toast or cereal!!  >:D

Offline seaangler

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »
Another way to stop the dog jumping up is to get it to sit on command....A dog can not do two task in one go....This is from Victoria Stilwells behavior problems that she solved...

Can but try....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline langcliffe

• Settle Music
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »
We've got the same problem with Bramble.. and yesterday she stole a bread roll off the kitchen counter .. her first food theft! Its just been gloves and cloths up till then... Have tried the off command which she does know, but to no available.. will watch this thread with interest
Linda & Allan
 www.settlemusic.co.uk
Thinking about Music....

Offline maddy74

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
Willow is 13 months and is a b***** at jumping up and people, not so much inside but when we are out and people greet her, those big cocker ears dont work when we tell her not to do it....  >:D

Also she will try her luck when people visit, she isnt as bad with me and will sit when asked, i think its a cocker trait.  >:( It doesnt help that when my father visits he gets her over excited and doesnt stop her doing it saying, "she's all right", fussing her as she does it....