Author Topic: Puppy viewing tomorrow!  (Read 16739 times)

Offline McFly

Puppy viewing tomorrow!
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm going to view two litters of Cocker Spaniel pups tomorrow, I'm all in a muddle over what I'm going to ask and what I need to check when I'm with the breeder!

I know I'll get a feeling for conditions as soon as I arrive, but additionally I want to be sure I ask the correct questions.  Do I need to request proof that eyes of both parents have been passed as good?  What checks to I need proof of regarding the pup?

Thanks in advance.

Offline black taz

Re: Puppy viewing tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »
my question would be, what makes you think you are going to make it to the second breeder before you decide :005: :005:

When i went to choose Kira, i had 3 breeders to view, only made it as far as the first one (then finished up with a black one rather than yellow - which was my original intention).  never regretted my decision through, she is  :luv: :luv:

Offline McFly

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
my question would be, what makes you think you are going to make it to the second breeder before you decide :005: :005:

When i went to choose Kira, i had 3 breeders to view, only made it as far as the first one (then finished up with a black one rather than yellow - which was my original intention).  never regretted my decision through, she is  :luv: :luv:

Hi Black taz - ironically it's a black pup that I really really want, but I'd also settle for a nice Blue Roan!  :D

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:46 PM »
Have you told the second breeder you're going to see another litter before you go to them, there is a risk of passing on infections from one litter to the other  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline McFly

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »
Have you told the second breeder you're going to see another litter before you go to them, there is a risk of passing on infections from one litter to the other  :-\.

A little pedantic, no?

Offline montsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »
Please try and make it to the second breeder! We have a 7 month old pup and are so glad we picked him from the second litter we saw! You also have a point of comparison then. With the first litter the breeder seemed to be breeding them wholsale. Pups were lovely but seemed a bit older than we expected.Mum seemed a little bit hostile. At second breeder the pups seemed much younger. Mum was very friendly. I lifted Milo up (he was sleeping) and he opened his eyes and kissed me! He was telling me 'I'm the one for you!'

Offline McFly

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
Please try and make it to the second breeder! We have a 7 month old pup and are so glad we picked him from the second litter we saw! You also have a point of comparison then. With the first litter the breeder seemed to be breeding them wholsale. Pups were lovely but seemed a bit older than we expected.Mum seemed a little bit hostile. At second breeder the pups seemed much younger. Mum was very friendly. I lifted Milo up (he was sleeping) and he opened his eyes and kissed me! He was telling me 'I'm the one for you!'

Thanks!

Yes I'm definitely going to make sure I see both, the last pup I bought with my ex - we only viewed one litter despite my suggestions to look at more, and the pup ended up with very weepy eyes (Bichon). 

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:32:33 PM »
Have you told the second breeder you're going to see another litter before you go to them, there is a risk of passing on infections from one litter to the other  :-\.

A little pedantic, no?

Actually no, not pedantic at all - I really wouldn't want anyone visiting a litter of mine straight after they had visited another breeder due to the risks as Cayley mentioned. The risks may not be high, especially if people scrub their hands well and remove shoes before coming into the second breeder's home but it's still not something I'd be happy with - puppies are too precious to take these kind of risks.
Jane

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:40:16 PM »

A little pedantic, no?

Definitely no, We have to make sure that our puppies are safe from infection from outside.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline McFly

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:43:30 PM »
What sort of infection are we talking about here? 

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »

Any number of viruses can be transmitted by touch or on people's clothing/shoes - these viruses may not be too serious in an adult dog but could have a much more devastating affect on young puppies. If you really must visit two litters, it would be much better to spread the visits out, perhaps one visit this week and the other next week.
Jane

Offline McFly

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »

Any number of viruses can be transmitted by touch or on people's clothing/shoes - these viruses may not be too serious in an adult dog but could have a much more devastating affect on young puppies. If you really must visit two litters, it would be much better to spread the visits out, perhaps one visit this week and the other next week.

I have been researching various breeds on numerous forums, and have spoken to a number of breeders, and this is the first mention from anyone on this subject.  I think perhaps some people are a little over cautious...nevertheless, I shall speak to the second breeder tomorrow and mention it to her, she can make the call.

I'll be sure to hose myself down before visits though!  :angel:

Anyway - as per my original post - can anyone advise on that?

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »

I have been researching various breeds on numerous forums, and have spoken to a number of breeders, and this is the first mention from anyone on this subject.  I think perhaps some people are a little over cautious...nevertheless, I shall speak to the second breeder tomorrow and mention it to her, she can make the call.

I just hope that with your attitude, you never want to view my puppies >:(
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline McFly

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »

I just hope that with your attitude, you never want to view my puppies >:(

Lighten up! Jeepers!

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »
Hi there and in answer to your question a good breeder will produce health certificates for eyes, kidneys (FN) and hip scoring without any question,  of both parents .
When we saw prospective buyers they already knew what our girls result were from the kennel club online results along with dads . You should be able to check online from the pedigree registration numbers from the breeder and these results are  important when we invest in a little puppy we want to grow up healthy as it's a long time they live for and deserve our care and anything we can do to prevent any inherited problems should be safeguarded . As you say you will get an idea when you see them although you don't say how old the litters are . It's like that programme location location location . It's research research and research again . I found it so hard when we looked and turned down pups from litters we waited over a yeAr for lottie
as so many not had right testing for us ..
The ladies are quite right in regards to visiting one litter after another ,puppies pick up infections so easily and it only takes a small amount of bacteria to start the ball rolling . A bit like babies they need time to build an immune system and I personally would have not allowed a visit from a prospective buyer who had visited another litter the same day .. Sorry it sounds so contrite but it's not worth the risk for me . Good luck.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown