Author Topic: Puppy viewing tomorrow!  (Read 16874 times)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: Puppy viewing tomorrow!
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
I don't think people are being patronising towards you. I think you have answered your own question though,

"it would only matter regarding the DNA tests if I didn't care that my dog got sick - if I didn't care I would hardly be on this forum to begin with."

Well...DNA tests are how you can (to a certain extent) ensure your dog will be healthy. Therefore you need to see them to ensure you will have a dog not at risk of developing those health conditions.

And you do care whether your dog is healthy...so of course it matters. I think you answered your own question

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2012, 08:46:42 AM »
I give up!

Please don't give up .

Searching out this forum , registering and posting shows, in my opinion , you care what happens to your future addition . You can get so much advise not just now but after you get your puppy on behaviour training and future health.
Testing in cockers IS really important. As an incredibly popular breed the cocker has been profusely bred by unscrupulous breeders just for a fast buck and in order to make the most profit margin they don't follow the kennel club and British vet association guide lines for testing for these breed specific issues. which means that these eye conditions and kidney problems can pass through the lines so easily .

Even though the parents look healthy it dosnt mean the pups would be clear at all I'm afraid as I'm sure you know as you say you are still continuing your search . The kennel club do a link where you can be notified when the puppy list changes in your area and do list assured breeders and contact details . So you might like to make a few enquiries to see if they have any litter plans . Early bird catches the worm !

Good luck

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline McFly

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »
I give up!

Please don't give up .

Searching out this forum , registering and posting shows, in my opinion , you care what happens to your future addition . You can get so much advise not just now but after you get your puppy on behaviour training and future health.
Testing in cockers IS really important. As an incredibly popular breed the cocker has been profusely bred by unscrupulous breeders just for a fast buck and in order to make the most profit margin they don't follow the kennel club and British vet association guide lines for testing for these breed specific issues. which means that these eye conditions and kidney problems can pass through the lines so easily .

Even though the parents look healthy it dosnt mean the pups would be clear at all I'm afraid as I'm sure you know as you say you are still continuing your search . The kennel club do a link where you can be notified when the puppy list changes in your area and do list assured breeders and contact details . So you might like to make a few enquiries to see if they have any litter plans . Early bird catches the worm !

Good luck

Thanks Penguin.

I get a notification email when the KC website has new puppies registered on there for sale - so I'm hoping something comes up soon. 

I spoke to a breeder the other day via email, and would you believe she hadn't even heard of the PRA and FN tests that I asked her about! Madness!  :o

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
Well that doesn't surprise me sadly. When my son took his young cocker pup to the vet for the first time last year and handed over the breeders birth to 8 weeks weight/growth chart together with proof that both the pups parents were PRA and FN tested, the vet nearly fell on the floor in a faint.

When we mentioned the same to the vet recently regarding ours the vet ( different vet, different part of the country) looked visibly stunned.

I fear there are clearly far more out there without than with  :'(

Good luck. You are clearly committed to finding the right one so deserve to find one. Just give it time.

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »
Agree with Penguins87, don't give up! Good Luck!!!
Lynn

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Just an after thought mcfly

You could try contacting the Cocker spaniel club of Ireland Www.cscoi.ie I'm sure if you call them to enquire about health tested pups someone would be able to help with respectable breeders around your neck of the woods.  :D
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline McFly

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
Just an after thought mcfly

You could try contacting the Cocker spaniel club of Ireland Www.cscoi.ie I'm sure if you call them to enquire about health tested pups someone would be able to help with respectable breeders around your neck of the woods.  :D

Great shout! Thank you!

There is a listing section for breeders with pups available, I have emailed two of them who have advertised black pups, all of which have certs to show parents are PRA and FN clear - hope they have some left!   :blink:

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »
really good to hear you are holding out for a great pup, good luck  :lol:

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »
Sounds like you're getting somewhere now - good luck and keep us posted.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »
Keeping my fingers crossed that there is a little black furbaby with your name on it ;)

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
Sounds very promising McFly  :blink: Please keep us posted!
Lynn

Offline McFly

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
Thanks to Penguin's suggestion of checking the Cocker Spaniel Club of Ireland, I have found a breeder about 10 miles from me who has an all black 11 week old female pup, KC registered, DNA tested etc - £450.  Going to view it tomorrow.  :blink:

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2012, 09:59:42 AM »
Excellent news!keep us posted. Well done for keeping with it!

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »
Hope this pup is perfect for you  :luv:

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »
Brilliant news!  Keep us posted - you will soon become addicted to this site and wonder how you ever found any answers to anything in your life before you found it!!
Good luck for tomorrow.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(