Author Topic: Should I walk away from these puppies?  (Read 743 times)

Offline Nobbie

Should I walk away from these puppies?
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
Hi there,

Me and my partner have started looking for a Cocker puppy and have read all about health checks. One litter of Champdogs seems well brought up in a good home, but only has only had the prcd-PRA (DNA) done on both parents. I've checked the parentage back and only one Great Grand Parent has had the FN test.

I tempted to phone the owner and ask why they have not been tested, but am worried that I might be given a plausible reason for not testing for FN or the BVA/KC/ISDS Eye Scheme that I don't have the experience to judge.

Are then any circumstances where FN/BVA/KC/ISDS Eye tests aren't really needed? Am I being overcautious? or should I just look elsewhere?

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
Re: Should I walk away from these puppies?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
If the parents are hereditory clear, they should still be tested every 3 generations, this is the KC guideline. There are many breeders who fully test and follow the guidelines. I would walk away...sorry. What area are you in?
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »
I would walk away too. I spent ages finding a puppy where her parents had been tested and I saw copies of the paperwork. Lots said that they didn't think them necessary as they had never had any problems but then they wouldn't have the heartbreak of losing  their young dog. I know many will have Cockers that the parents have not been tested, it's only when you look into possible ailments and diseases that you realise just what can happen and then of course scare yourself to death. Of course all the testing in the world can't cover everything but I would narrow the chances ! But.... at the end of the day even if no testing has been done it doesn't mean you pup would have any problems...... it's a problem only you can address
I would go for a Kennel club breeder

Offline Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »
Thanks,

I'm in Cheshire, it is a KC registered breeder, which is why I'm surprised there is no FN testing.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
They only need to test if they are an Assured Breeder.

I will pm with suggestions
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers