Author Topic: Blood and Slimy Stools  (Read 1286 times)

Offline tawilton1

Blood and Slimy Stools
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
Hi.
We just bought our puppy and she's been with us 3 days now. She is 8 weeks old and she has spots of blood in her poo and sometimes it's slimy.
We have taken her to the vets and he has given us antibiotics for ten days.
I just wanted to know if anyone has had similar problems and if anyone can offer any other words of advice as i am still really worried.
Thanks a lot.
Tom.

Offline maddy74

Re: Blood and Slimy Stools
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
Hi Tom, try not to worry, its a big upheaval for a puppy to leave mother and litter mates and start a new life with the humans with a change in environment, water etc. We had similar when we got Willow home at 8 weeks. We had to give her bland chicken and brown rice to firm her up a bit. The sloppy stools came and went quite often and were mucussy and bloody, after several trips to the vets and changing her food a few times the vet seemed to think she had colitis. She is a year old now and she hasnt been bad for about 4 months now. Its prob just the change for you pup, what are you feeding, he/she on? Maddy

Offline Starzee

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
Poor little mite... Do you know what the breeder was feeding her and have you changed her food since she's been home with you? Changing food too quickly can irritate her bowels causing the blood. Really hope that's the case bless her  :003:

Offline jessandme

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »
I would put her on chicken and rice straight away, and keep her on it until her tum has settled down completely.  White rice is better than brown actually, in this situation you want things as bland as possible. 

We had similar problems with our Jess - several episodes of colitis - it took us a while to twig that she didn't get on with wheat.   Besides, of course, the transition away from mum and littermates, which is stressful to start with. 

By the way, if you are not happy with the food that the breeder was using and are planning to move her to a better one, then that should wait until the little one's tum has settled.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
I can recommend  ' tree barks powder'   it will soothe her tum  ;)

http://www.dorwest.com/Catalogue/Dietary-Supplements/Tree-Barks-powder

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:41:03 PM »
Similiar probs with Erin 6yrs...she had several bouts of colitis..... a diet of chicken and boiled rice helped her too

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »
ps, we keep this in stock for Willow now and always seems to sooth her when she has a bout of the runnys.....

http://www.viovet.co.uk/p1879/Protexin_Pro-Kolin_ProKolin_for_Dogs_and_Cats_-_30ml_calibrated_syringe/product_info.html

Offline tawilton1

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »
Hi thanks everyone. We kept her on the same food as the breeder however the vet prescribed her some of that royal canin sensitive tinned food.

Is colitis serious and will she need any other trips to the vets?

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Tom.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
Willow had a few bouts between 2 months and about 8 months, she is a slight dog and would shed weight quickly, she was always fine in herself though  :D She seems to have grown out of it now, or at least has been fine for a while.

Willow was on the same food but the dried kibble. You can get it from viovet a lot cheaper than the vet will sell it to you for and the service is fast and efficient.

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Pet_Foods_Diets-Dogs-Royal_Canin-Veterinary_Clinical_Diets-Sensitivity_Control/c233_234_206_338_360/category.html?quick_find=126100

We are in the process of changing her slowly to barking heads food.

The advice we were given if it is colitis and it might not be with your pup is to feed little and often, when she was ill we gave 6 very small meals. She is over a year now and still on 3 meals a day as that is what I was advised to do.

Hope your little one is okay, is she okay in herself. What food did she come from the breeder on?

Maddy

Offline maddy74

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »
ps im a bit over anxious so every time her tum flared up I would take her to the vet, i dont worry as much now and she still is slightly sloppy if she eats something dreadful whilst out on a walk, thats why i keep the pro kolin in. The vet says if they are fine in themselves and not dyhydrating then not to worry.  :D easier said than done though me thinks  ;)

Any photos of your new addition?

Offline tawilton1

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »
Hi.
The breeder we got her off was feeding her on the tesco dry chicken and rice puppy food.

Heres a photo of her.

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
She is gorgeous  :luv:

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline maddy74

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »
OMG slightly off topic but blooming hell she is yummy. A bit partial to the golden ones myself though. Whats the name of you little one, how is her tummy now?

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
I have no advise to offer, but what a cute pupster  :luv:

Offline tawilton1

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
She's called Molly :).
Her tummy has settled down somewhat but it's still a bit sloppy but she's happy enough bouncing around with our older cocker so i'm a bit more settled now :)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tom.