Author Topic: Nature Diet going off...  (Read 2666 times)

Offline woodlander

Nature Diet going off...
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
I would be interested to hear if any other COLer's have recent experience of increasing amounts of Nature Diet being "off" when a new packet is opened.  These are packets that are well within use by date but just recently we have had to throw away at least half a dozen packs that smelt revolting   ph34r ph34r ph34r
Most recent chuck out was yesterday
I wonder if the factory is having problems with sealing the packets - I seem to remember there was a problem about a year or so ago.

Has anyone else had any problems?

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
Re: Nature Diet going off...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »
Hi

there were big problems at the factory a while ago, and it resulted in many pack being 'blown' by the time you recd them!!

I do not use it now, but everytime I had a problem, I took it back to the shop where we had brought it from and they happily refunded, as when the rep came round, they complained and got replacements.
I have also had great success complaining directly to Naturediet, and they sent out replacement packs to both my sister and myself!

hope this helps!

Offline mad max mid

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »
 When we got Max, the gent we got him from swore by the stuff ( nature diet ). But Max seemed to be permanently mad running around all the time. We changed him to a dry food called Healthy Paws. The local pet shop recommended it, plus its manufactured only a few miles away !  What a difference in Max. Calm, chilled out but still loads of life when out.  Well worth a look at their website.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
Kali has had Nature Diet for a while now, just a wee amount mixed with her Barking Heads food.  She loves it.  I have never had the trouble you mention.  I get mine from the local pet shop, cheaper than anywhere else and he takes any 'blown' packs out before they go on the shelves.  Have you tried calling them and telling them about what you have noticed? :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »
I usually buy mine in bulk from Naturediet, 4 packs at a time(72 trays). At one time I had 6 off, out of 72, but recently have only had 1. Naturediet are very good and replace blown ones immediately by post. Mine have the fish and potato and salmon and prawn, so when they are off they are OFF  :005:

As soon as I receive them I check all the trays over for any that appear blown ie have air bubbles or smell, and ring ND if there's a problem.

HTH
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »
Not had any problems recently, but I did a wee while back.  I contacted Nature Diet and they arranged to replace the blown packs.  Give them a wee call, they might want the batch numbers on the tubs for their own reference.

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »
Yep, had loads of problems so much so that I've written down the batch numbers etc so I can email them. We've had several of the lamb ones that have been mouldy when we've opened them  :020:

We're even wondering whether Milo being off his food some days is because the packets are a bit 'ripe' and he's a bit more sensitive to it than the others.  :huh:
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:03:20 PM »
Yep, had loads of problems so much so that I've written down the batch numbers etc so I can email them. We've had several of the lamb ones that have been mouldy when we've opened them  :020:

We're even wondering whether Milo being off his food some days is because the packets are a bit 'ripe' and he's a bit more sensitive to it than the others.  :huh:

That's interesting as Brodie has really went off Nature Diet recently, to the extent I've had to change her onto another food. I thought she was just going through one of her fussy phases but maybe not  :huh:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »
You're right - there were problems some time ago and they seem to sort it - but it does raise it's head every now and again. I don't use it now.

Naturediet were usually very good at replacing the bad ones though - never had a problem with that.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »
We tried Skye on Nature Diet Junior, she ate it for a couple of days, then stopped, point blankly refusing to eat it, I checked the box, well within date, but when I opened another pack it had a funny colour to it and even though it wasn't 'off' it just didn't smell right, so haven't used it since.

She's now on completely raw and loves it - at long last!  :005:

Offline woodlander

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys - interesting reading.  I went to our local supplier yesterday and explained the situation - they were very good and said they would exchange any blown/off packets but I can't help feeling thats all well and good but to keep having to return minging dog food  :020: is just ridiculous.  If we continue to get blown packs may have to find an alternative.... 

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 09:41:15 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys - interesting reading.  I went to our local supplier yesterday and explained the situation - they were very good and said they would exchange any blown/off packets but I can't help feeling thats all well and good but to keep having to return minging dog food  :020: is just ridiculous.  If we continue to get blown packs may have to find an alternative.... 

We're feeling the same.  :-\

Both Milo and Bruno have problems with colitis, its no good if the food we're giving them (which we chose specifically because those two could tolerate it) is causing stomach upsets.
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline wendyt

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
The boys have NatureDiet on top of their food, Murph has the Chicken and also Rabbit and Turkey, Indy the Fish and Potato. Murph's been having it for about 18 months now and Indy about 9 months and in all that time I've only had 1 carton that was off. I always buy it from my local petshop and they replaced it no bother.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
I only ever bought the lamb one - so don't know what the others are like re going orft., but I can confirm it stunk when off  ph34r

I last mentioned it in thread in dec 2010/jan2011 (blimey how the time goes aye  ;) )
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
I use Nature Diet once or twice a week for Rodaidh and Caoimhe when she's here, I have had blown packs in the past but haven't noticed any issues recently. I buy it locally and check the packs for air bubbles etc.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/