Author Topic: Hi, looking for my First Cocker  (Read 4962 times)

Offline annie59

Hi, looking for my First Cocker
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
Hi, I'm Annie, Im looking for my first Cocker , i want to get everything right and read as much info as i can, im hoping i can get lots of advise,one of the big decisions i have to make   is Girl or Boy, i have in mind my favourite colour, even though i love them all,and looking forward to the day that i can get my dog/puppy

Offline maddy74

Re: Hi, looking for my First Cocker
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »
Hello and welcome,

We have a golden working strain cocker and she is 14 months and wonderful  :luv:

Are you having a working or show strain, what colour are you hoping for?

Maddy :D

Offline black taz

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »
personally having had 2 girls and 1 boy - i would always go for girls in future - much easier to train (but that said all three dogs have been different breeds so it could be a breed thing as well)

I have Taz - a black show cocker and Kira, who is a black working labrador  - wouldnt be without either but Taz was HARD work to train, very stubborn and even now his recall can be hit and miss.  That said my friend has a black working cocker a few months older than Taz, and i swear he was born fully trained :005:

I would say my current two are equally loving, but both girls i have had have tended to hero worship me a little more than Taz :005: :005:

Offline annie59

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
Thanks,ive decided , im looking for a girl , blue roan is my fave but i love them all, its the head in the show type that makes the cocker appealing to me, so i am looking for a show type, and to be honest young or older puppy, i dont mind , ive spent hours trailing through ads, i dont think i can wait too much longer.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »
Where abouts are you?
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline annie59

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
Hi Im in Warrington Cheshire

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
Hi and welcome i am owned by Grace a golden show type

Good luck in your search

Ian & Grace
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline maddy74

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »
good luck with your search  ;)

Offline annie59

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
Hi all, i am taking a big risk, someone is about to deliver to me my first cocker, who ive never met, im so excited, all i have is a photo for now,  a boy,well i wasnt sure if i wanted a boy or a girl, now it looks like im getting a boy, im hoping im not about to be making a bad decision.x

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »
Hi all, i am taking a big risk, someone is about to deliver to me my first cocker, who ive never met, im so excited, all i have is a photo for now,  a boy,well i wasnt sure if i wanted a boy or a girl, now it looks like im getting a boy, im hoping im not about to be making a bad decision.x

With no wish to dampen your excitement :-\  that does sound like ahuge risk to me! I hope you have done all your home work - Breeders, Health Tests, pedigree, are all imperative, basic information.
I really hope it all works out for you, if you have made your decision!
Caz

Offline emma_and_tilly

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
I'm not really sure what to say....... It does seem quite risky to me.... Are you happy with the health/temperament of the parents? I sincerely wish you and pup all the luck in the world....

Emma and Tilly x

Offline annie59

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »
Hi All, they are stuck in traffic, he is 4 and a half months old, hes kc and bought before christmas  from an accredited breeder, hes had his vaccinations,and  an all clear from their vet,i just hope all is true and im not about to buy a sick puppy,I have to have some faith, surely they are being honest?

Offline black taz

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
why are they rehoming him so young? 

I hope I am wrong, but unfortunately not everyone is as honest as you would wish them to be. 

good luck if you still go ahead

Offline annie59

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
Im told their children are afraid of him , i dont know ?its a pretty lamb excuse , but im going to buy him regardless now, they are coming   from quite away.If he needs more than cuddles and care he will get it here, Im more than worried now about it all being genuine, all my life ive been a 'doubting Thomas'  .Im praying that he will be a lovely little healthy puppy when he gets here.Thanks for being here! x

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 07:02:42 PM »
why are they rehoming him so young? 

I hope I am wrong, but unfortunately not everyone is as honest as you would wish them to be. 

good luck if you still go ahead
Agree absolutely with this :D
Even if it all seems genuine - though the fact that they are bringing the puppy to you is what concerns me the most :-\ I would tell them you want 24/48 hours to sleep on your decision, do some checks on the breeder, maybe even contact them. If the pup is from a good breeder, the original contract of sale would state that if the pup needs to be rehomed it should go back to them in the first instance ;)
Let us know how you get on :D