Author Topic: what are we soing wrong??? More questions  (Read 1236 times)

Offline kona

what are we soing wrong??? More questions
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »
We are really struggling with house training.

Zach is now 19 weeks old and we have had him since 9 weeks old.

Despite following all sorts of advice he still isn't house trained and doesn't even consistently try to tell us he wants to go out.

The problem is Kona (now 9 months) was house trained but is now copying Zach. In addition to this if Zach poos in the house Kona will go and eat it if he finds it before me.

We have a baby gate between the kitchen / the back door and the living room because without it they both get into the cat litter box eating what they can or destroying the bin bag and contents.

Can anyone suggest any way i can train zach to indicate he wants to go out without him jumping up which is something he sometimes does but this doesn't always means he wants to go out.

We really are at our wits end because we are constantly having to watch zach 100% of the time.

thanks

Offline kona

Re: what are we soing wrong??? More questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:20:36 PM »
just read Sine's post - sounds familiar and wondering how it's going?

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »

At 19 weeks, he's still just a baby, and I certainly wouldn't be expecting him to tell you he needs to go.  You need to give him plenty of opportunities to go outside to prevent accidents in the house.
Take him outside at regular intervals, especially after meals, play and sleeps, stay with him and praise him when he goes.

It's also not unusual for adolescent dogs to take a backwards step in housetraining anyway, even without the addition of a new pup to the household, so it's a case of back to basics with Kona too - regular trips out and praise when he does go outside.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline kona

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »
Hi yes we have read the training guidance, take him out regularly, praise and treat him, take him for longer walks four times a day.etc etc.

Ok patience it is then!

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »
Hattie now nearly 4, was a good 12 months old before she was totally house trained, just be patient and carry on doing what you have said in your last post and it will happen.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Evadee

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »
Jake (21 weeks) had been dry for about 6 weeks, thought he was doing sooo well....

He did a great big pee on the kitchen floor yesterday with no warning at all  :005: 

Even when you think you have got them trained you will have the odd relapse!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »
It happens - I'm having problems partly because of the weather and the other reason is that me saying 'Come on Stella let's go wee wees' seems to cause great excitement among the other 2 hoolies so we have chaos in the garden and Stella picks on up all that excitement. Plus not helped by the fact when I get her to hurry up she actually squats as if she's going but doesn't >:D

I know she'll learn in the end - she's getting there
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »
Hi yes we have read the training guidance, take him out regularly, praise and treat him, take him for longer walks four times a day.etc etc.

Ok patience it is then!

Short walks for a puppy that young sorry to say....Bit longer of grass more so than tarmac......

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline kona

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
Thanks everyone.

We do have some good days it just seems there is no consistency. A couple of weeks ago we had five full clean days!

We love them both to bits and i know we have the best dogs we could ever ask for. We just didn't realise how intense having puppies would be lol   :lol2: