Author Topic: Would you travel  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Dan

Would you travel
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
Hi guys as you no I'm looking for a good working/family cocker! And I have been in contact with a women who has 2 pups left both working pups but she nearly 4 hours away! Is there any checks I can do or anything before I travel also is driving the my best bet of getting there?
Any help appreciated
Thanks in advance

Offline Catie74

Re: Would you travel
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:13 PM »
I have just got my second cocker and was not sure whether I wanted a puppy or older dog.  I decided I was prepared to travel for the right dog.  Can't offer any advice re checks before, but follow your head and if you can take someone with you.  I would say a car is your best bet and take a crate and plenty of kitchen roll

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:25:11 PM »
You could check to see if she is a KC assured or registered breeder here:

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/display.aspx?breed=2052&area=0

Although it's an indication of a good breeder, not a guarantee.  You could also ask her about health tests and could use the KC website to verify that too.  

Apart from that there's really no substitute for visiting, asking questions and getting a feel for how you think the puppies have been raised.  Don't be afraid to walk away if it doesn't feel right, even if you have travelled 4 hours.

I don't think 4 hours is too far at all to travel for the right puppy and you will be best going by car when you collect to give him/her a comfortable ride back.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »
 Checking out the KC website is a good idea, and have a good conversation with the breeder over the phone. Of course these are not a flawless way of checking things out but better to do it than not.

Nicola (nic81) travelled about that to  see and collect Dexter (Bingley's brother) and he was fine on the way home.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Dan

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and help! Before I travel I would like to no we're the best place to search for a puppy is on the Internet etc I've searched ******** any others?
Thanks again

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and help! Before I travel I would like to no we're the best place to search for a puppy is on the Internet etc I've searched preloved any others?
Thanks again

I also searched on K9 and Champdogs.  And no, I dont think 4 hours is a long way for the right dog.  It is one day out (2 if you have to go back to collect) not a lot when you look at the lifelong commitment to your new friend.

Good luck

Pat

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and help! Before I travel I would like to no we're the best place to search for a puppy is on the Internet etc I've searched ******** any others?
Thanks again

Definately not the place to look for a puppy. Kennel club or breed websites are a good start. Shows are another place to find a reputable breeder.

I regurarly have people travel 4+ hours just to view puppies at 4 weeks, they then travel again to collect them. I travelled from NE Scotland to Essex for a puppy and more recently (last month) to St Helens
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:29:26 AM »
We drove Aberdeen to Inverness just to see puppies before we even knew we were getting a Cocker. Not all that far in the scheme of things, but far enough - 3 hour round trip. We also arranged our holiday to coincide with collecting Posie on the way home, and we made our arrangements so we could fly from Inverness rather than Aberdeen so that we were "in the area".

I can't offer any specific advice regarding what to ask before travelling (other than what everybody else says) but I can add that the attitude of the breeder was significant in our case. He asked us more questions than we asked him. This showed us that he was concerned about his dogs well being.

When we were visiting the littler he took a couple of phone calls about the puppies and made arrangements for other viewers - after the same grilling - and told one guy that he wouldn't sell any puppies to him. That ws based on the guy asking if he could have a discount for taking a male AND a female puppy. He said he was concerned that the guy was just going to breed & abandon because he didn't ask any questions about the pups, parents, environment or breed.

That taught me a lesson and it was retrospectively applied to a Labradoodle breeder we visited, when I thought about that visit in hindsight.

As an aside; we're thinking about getting another dog and because we're keen on certain breed/specifics, and are looking to get a rescue dog, we are happy to make a trip out of going as far as the south of England. Remember: we're in Aberdeen!

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
I travelled from South West Lancashire to Falkirk to collect Henry, and he was well worth it.   It was as if it was meant to be, as I was travelling to Scotland and stopped at Tebay services to give Charley a comfort break, as well as have a snack.  When I got out of the car with Charley I met a lady with two lovely Cockers, and then another two ladies, each with a couple of Cockers.  Naturally, we stopped to talk, and for me to make a fuss of the dogs.  One was an Orange Roan of six months called Fletcher; he was gorgeous, the other was a Blue Roan called Axel, Fletcher's father.  They had all been to a dog show in Malvern, and one was a member of COL  After a long chat we all went on our fifferent ways.

A week or so later I received a text message to say that Axel had sired a litter of puppies, and that if I was interested there was one male Orange Roan.  There was a 'phone number and name of the lady whose bitch had produced the puppies.  Briefly, I later 'phoned Anne to say that I would like the Orange Roan puppy.  She kept in touch with me and sent pictures of every stage of Henry's development - I posted these on the puppies' forum.  Eight weeks later I embarked on the journey to Falkirk with my stepson, staying overnight at a hotel with Charley, and picking up Henry the following morning.  Paul drove home and I was the passenger left holding Henry.

I didn't need to do a lot of research because I had everything I needed to know when we met at Tebay.   If you want a good puppy then you may have to travel some distance.

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »
Some things are meant to be, eh Robbie?   :luv:

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
Jeff was about 4 hours away in Kent - actually more than that as we went to collect him in a blizzard  :luv:

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
Some things are meant to be, eh Robbie?   :luv:

Absolutely, and I couldn't have acquired a lovelier puppy.

Offline Abbi

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »
We're making about a 7 hour round trip tomorrow to collect our new puppy as we wanted a specific colour and of course to ensure that all the health checks etc were in place. The breeder ticked all the boxes for us and has been great keeping us updated with her progress so I'm sure it will be worth it.  We did the same journey 5 weeks ago to meet her and everything seemed to be as we had expected from our initial phone and email enquiries and of course the pup was adorable!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Dan

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys but I made the decison to revel and found a wonderful pup I'm picking up next Thursday! Thanks again