Author Topic: Scariest walk ever!  (Read 949 times)

Offline Kay87

Scariest walk ever!
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:39:23 PM »
Happy Easter everyone!

Me and Belle had a very scary walk today. We went to a local woods, and I let her off lead as normal. However she is starting to go way too far, and her recall is only effective 9 times out of 10 (Depends what else is about)

Anyway she was running around having a whale of a time, when I heard a car! I wasn't even aware there was a road! So I called her to me but at the same time I saw her... And a car heading straight to her. I was about 50 metres away (Through the trees) and the car beeped and stopped. I called her again and she came to me, the car driver was shouting and swearing all kind of obscenties at me (As if I wasn't feeling bad enought!) It was a tiny, tiny country lane but I shudder to think what could have been! She went straight back on the lead and I think I'll go back to using a long line for a while!

I've felt so awful all day, my nerves are shot!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Scariest walk ever!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
By the sounds of it her recall is not too bad for a teenage dog in the woods so keep on working on it  :D  ;)

I agree the long line is the way to go and now you know there is a road there you can avoid that part of the woods offlead.

It must have terrifying and it really is just one of those things - there's probably only a few cars that use that road and it was an unlucky coincidence  :-\

Have a strong drink and give that little girl a big cuddle  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
Ditto what Helen said.  Don't beat yourself up - these things happen and at least now, you are aware of the road.  :-\  I don't see why the driver had to be so stroppy - it is one of those things. Might make them drive more carefully in future too  ;)  It must have been really scary though  :o

Recalling 90% of the time sounds pretty good to me so, pour yourself a drink, give her a cuddle and remember, tomorrow is another day  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
Also agree with what Helen said. Please don't beat yourself up about it :blink:

As for the driver, maybe he had a real shock and a heart stopping moment if Belle ran out in front of him and the shouting and swearing was a reaction to that. I'm not making excuses for him but I can sort of understand the extreme reaction.

Offline Kay87

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
Thank you :) It was just such a shock!
I feel a much better today, after having lots of cuddles with her last night. I've just got to see it as a learning curve.
We're just getting ready to go out for a walk... She'll be staying firmly on the lead today.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »

As for the driver, maybe he had a real shock and a heart stopping moment if Belle ran out in front of him and the shouting and swearing was a reaction to that. I'm not making excuses for him but I can sort of understand the extreme reaction.

I was going to say this too.  He was probably terrified that he might have done to your dog.