Author Topic: Cycling with your dog  (Read 944 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Cycling with your dog
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
Looking for some advice from anyone who takes their dog along with them for bike rides. 

After not getting on a bike for over 15 years, yesterday my OH persuaded me that we should go out on the bikes she had "done up" for us (mine still had squeaky brakes and a saddle that swivelled round every time I got on or off  :005:).  We thought the dogs would like to come with us and set off with them happily running alongside.  However, after only about half a mile both dogs were tired, especially Barney who was lagging further and further behind.  We stopped for about 10min then went about another half mile, turned round and came back home. So all in all we only went 2 miles but the dogs seemed exhausted. 

We were definitely not going fast  - 2 overweight women on rickety bikes over which we had only marginal control - and had thought we would be tired long before the dogs.  So how far is too far for the dogs to go?  Pippa did better than Barney - poor boy with his short legs  :luv:  Were they having us on or do we need to build up more slowly for them?  We thought we might just take Pippa with us this evening and see if she could go a bit further.

Offline Pip895

Re: Cycling with your dog
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »
We cycle with Saffi quite frequently - we tend to cycle too somthing - often a tea shop or dog friendly pub  ph34r :005:.  It does mean she gets a chance to rest before the return run.  Our normal run takes us through the forest so its just a few minutes on road and then all off road.  Saffi loves running - faster the better - even down hill she stays in front!  on uphill runs she disappears exploring in the wood.  One thing to watch out for is overheating - Saffi finds puddles along the way to cool down in - if they have dried up we often detour to visit the lake or have more frequent stops. 

Another trip we do is along a canal tow path which is great for unfit cyclists like me, being flat, and has plenty of bathing opportunities for Saffi. 

We did build her up from 1mile trips to max of 8miles or so with stops - she never seems tired when out, but sleeps pretty well after a long run.  She is a working cocker - I imagine poor Barny would need a slower pace :luv:.  Try taking a picknick next time or even a thermos of coffee so they get a longer rest before the return journey and build up slowly from 2 miles.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  Our route yesterday was across a couple of fields, a short downhill through a wooded area and then along the canal towpath.  It should have included a stop at a pub before the return journey, but poor Barnes couldn't make it that far. 

Unfortunately, neither of ours will voluntarily enter water, so we will have to stick to cool days and evenings.  We will try and build up slowly, perhaps leaving Barney behind this evening and seeing if we can make it all the way to the pub with Pippa.

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
Talking of cycling with your dog, does anyone have any recommendations for bike attachments where you can keep your dog beside you?

I can't seem to find anything reliable with good reviews on the internet and also wondered if it would be a good idea as generally Pepper likes to sniff alot (understatement)when we are out but also enjoys a run... :D