Author Topic: Would like some advice on my potential Puppy  (Read 546 times)

Offline Jenz

Would like some advice on my potential Puppy
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
Hi Everyone, hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

I have a puppy booked who should be arriving on Wednesday.  I have done lots of research and have a few niggling queries I would like some advice on.

The pup is one of 2, born by c-section.  They are from what I think you would term a "hobby breeder".  Sire is health checked and hereditary clear, I can see all his details on the KC website, no problems there.  The dam is not health checked, but breeder said her parents were.  I checked this out myself as the dam is registered and her parents were health checked and one side (the pups grandfather I think) is a PRA carrier.  Does this mean there is very little chance of my pup having PRA or at worst being a carrier?   We are buying purely for a family pet and have no intentions of breeding. 
We spent quite a bit of time with the pups and the dam, and they all look very healthy, dam seems to have a really gentle temperament.

The only query I had about the pups themselves, one was bigger than the other one (thats the one we chose) I believe this is fairly common in a small litter?  I just want to make sure we are making a good choice.  There was another adult dog in the house too and they all looked well cared for and good temperament dogs.  The pups were happy to play (chew!) with us then contentedly fell asleep on my lap, didnt seem fazed by my son at all.  I would have been happy with either one of them tbh! 

The breeder has done all paperwork, microchipping, first vac and vet check, offering any backup advice we need after pup is home and even boarding for holidays.  Do I need to worry about the mums health check do you think? 

Sorry if this post is a bit of ramble, Im trying to be very prepared for our new addition!

Jen

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Would like some advice on my potential Puppy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
As long as one parent is clear, then at worst the pup would be carrier, but could also be clear.  I have 3 girls here, from carrier mums but clear dads and they've all tested clear.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »
Your check on the parents of the dam have shown that one of the dam's parents is a PRA carrier. Was the other parent tested clear? If so (one clear parent, one carrier) the dam of the pups could be either clear or a carrier. As the sire of the pups is clear your pup will be clear if the dam is, or could be clear or a carrier if the dam is a carrier. Hope that makes sense :D

You only mention PRA testing. Were the sire or the parents of the dam DNA tested for FN? Those results should also be available on the KC website.

I wouldn't worry too much about one pup being bigger than the other. One of my Cockers, William, was by far the biggest in a litter of 5 but as an adult is a normal size (in the middle of the height range given in the Breed Standard). One of his litter sisters was much smaller than the other puppies and remained small but was perfectly healthy.

Offline Jenz

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
Thank you that clears it up for me.  The sire was hereditary clear for FN too.  I think at worst mum might be a carrier, which I think means my pup wont be affected as that was my main worry as I have no intention of breeding. 

Much appreciated, my brain goes a bit foggy when it comes to genetics  :005:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
That sound fine. but really BOTH parents should be health tested. To use a health tested dog on an untested bitch is a cop out IYSWIM. Hobby breeders should also stick to the rules.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers