Author Topic: One day, soon, maybe......  (Read 1920 times)

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
One day, soon, maybe......
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
Thought I'd pop in and say hello - I have been lurking on these forums for some time now (said hello some years back) and thought it was time to reintroduce myself!

I am NOT owned by a cocker - I have wanted one since I was about seven years old, and a girl in my class had a new golden girlie called Lucy.  I fell in love with her (the puppy that is!) and that was it as far as the breed is concerned.    However, it has never been possible for me to have my own due to being a single girl who works full-time, lives in a garden-less flat in London, and where doggie daycare / dogwalkers can be prohibitively expensive.

HOWEVER, 30 years after falling in love with that first cocker, this could be imminently about to change :)  Not the working full-time bit, but the bits around the edge!  My company is relocating large numbers of staff (including myself) to Buckinghamshire in the next couple of months.  Although I will be commuting the journey at first, my best friend who also works for hte company IS going to be moving up there next month.  This gives me a chance to really get to know the area, before making any massive changes that I may regret.  I am also a horserider, and would like to complete my British Horse Society Stage 1 exams at the stables I currently ride at and as planned, before moving up there.

BUT.....!!!  If I do move up to the area, then finally getting a gorgeous cocker pup can hopefully become a reality!  I can afford a much larger place, with a garden, no need to share and I have found what seems to  be a lovely lady (obviously closer inspection required) registered with NARP's who would be happy to look after my pup in her home during working hours.  The plan would be to take the first three weeks off following the puppy's arrival and then going back to work once vaccinations have fully kicked in. 

So I guess the next few months will be interesting - will I like the area, do I want to move etc?  Although I have already been to visit a few stables for the horseriding side of life with my instructor :)  And I am soooooooo excited about the thought of maybe having a cocker at last.   I guess the difficult bit may be convincing breeders that I am not about to leave the puppy on its own through the day, as that most definitely is not the case - I wouldn't consider getting a dog, if I didn't think the pup (and thus myself) would be happy. 

So in the meantime, I will just have to continue battling the green-eyed monster while I read all about cocker kisses and cuddles, but godwilling, things may finally work out that I can get my own  :) 

Think I've ranted on enough about my life at the moment.....  :D

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
Re: One day, soon, maybe......
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »
Hi and welcome i am Ian and owned by Grace a golden show girl. Hope your dream of owning a cocker becomes reality. 
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
Hope everything works out for you xx

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Hi and welcome i am Ian and owned by Grace a golden show girl. Hope your dream of owning a cocker becomes reality. 

Aw Grace sounds  :luv: :luv: :luv:   Exactly what I would love to have - a golden show girlie  :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL :D  Buckinghamshire is lovely, I moved here (from Edinburgh) about a year and a half ago for work and I love it, as do the dogs. It's very dog friendly, lots of fantastic walks and nice pubs etc. There are several polo/livery yards within a couple of miles of where we are too and bridleways all through the surrounding fields and woods. I hope it all works out for you and you can get your Cocker :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »
Hi and welcome, I am Lettie and I have a Black Show Type Girl and a Golden Show Type Girl puppy coming early Aug (they are very addictive!!)

The only problem I can see is if you get your much wanted pup and spend 3 weeks with him/her you will probably not want to go back to work!!!!!!!!

Good luck
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Peony

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:51:18 PM »
Hi and welcome! Hope everything works out for you so that you can soon get your cocker. I grew up in Buckinghamshire and it's lovely :) I am just about to become a cocker owner myself, we are picking up our puppy in just under 2 weeks! Enjoy the forum :)
Gemma & Gracie

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
The only problem I can see is if you get your much wanted pup and spend 3 weeks with him/her you will probably not want to go back to work!!!!!!!!

There is that danger :D. Wonder if anyone would notice a tiny pup tucked into my jacket at the office....

Offline jack_morris

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:25:55 AM »
Hello. I really hope you get one soon...I have got a orange roan show cocker called Jack. He is just over 10 weeks old now.  :D

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:44:57 AM »
Hi and welcome!  I am owned by Odie, a 2.5 year old golden show boy.

Exciting times ahead for you, both in terms of a relocation and a potential bundle of fluff :lol2:  Wishing you all the best on both fronts, keep us posted....
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
Hello. I really hope you get one soon...I have got a orange roan show cocker called Jack. He is just over 10 weeks old now.  :D

Aw, gorgeous  :luv:

It won't be for at least six months, but have been in touch with a couple of breeders who seem reassured that I will have full support in place for a pup, so am beginning to let myself get a little bit excited.  

Is it wrong to want to start buying small stuff (toys, brushes etc) for a puppy now?   :005:

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »

Exciting times ahead for you, both in terms of a relocation and a potential bundle of fluff :lol2:  Wishing you all the best on both fronts, keep us posted....

I love the name Odie!  Is that after the dog in the Garfield strips?   :lol2:

Offline Clare B

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »
Hello and welcome.  I grew up with cockers, but had to wait 25yrs before I could have my own, due to travel then having kiddies and oh being unwelcoming about the idea.  Finally I have my gorgeous girl, and she will be 2 soon... And we all  adore her including OH.  I know bucks as my husband is from there and from memory it's very beautiful.... Although it's been about  10 yrs since I last visited ( being that we live in Sydney)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »

Yes!  Not many people know that  :D  My daughters love watching Garfield and the cartoon version of Odie is the spit of ours... :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »

Yes!  Not many people know that  :D  My daughters love watching Garfield and the cartoon version of Odie is the spit of ours... :lol2:

At LEAST six months to go, and I have a shortlist of names already......   :021:

Well, I say short.  It has eleven options on it so far..... :005: