Author Topic: Tips on Ear Cleaning!  (Read 753 times)

Offline jack_morris

Tips on Ear Cleaning!
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
Hello

Any thoughts on easier ways to clean Jacks ears? I have tried distraction with a toy and it didn't work. I then tried a treat and it sort of worked. Does anybody have any good ideas? As he is only 10 weeks I really want him to get used to his ears being cleaned at a young age  :D

Steve

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
Re: Tips on Ear Cleaning!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »
It is an excellent idea to get them used to being messed with at an early age.

We have been grooming William almost daily since we had him at eight weeks. We start with gentle brushing, and then move onto ears, eyes, and teeth cleaning. We clean the ears with cotton wool moistened with ear cleaner and fortunately William is usually co-operative.

It helps if there are two of you, but we do persevere if he decides to be difficult, going back to grooming, and then returning to the ears, but we never end a session before the objective has been achieved.

He is then rewarded and fussed up.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
Riley is ok with grooming IF he has something to do, ie chewing on his stag bar, a toy or even his old "brush" while I use his new one, (that makes perfect sense  ;) (hubby,s idea >:(

I dont do much with his ears to be totally honest, he hasnt had any problems so far touch wood
I just now and again when I remember to moisten a cotton wool pad with water and wring out the excess and wipe the ear, I dont go near the ear canal at all.
Over cleaning can cause more problems than often realised.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:09 PM »
It's a good idea to clean the ears once a week at least, I always stand Ollie on a table I keep a treat in one hand and tell him to wait, he gets a treat after each ear is cleaned
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Tiger

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »
I always do it when monty's already relaxed and sleepy. Keep it simple at first by just flapping his ears back and gently massaging the insides, then work up to getting a moist cotton bud. Gently talking and praising him.
It seems to have associated it with quiet time and three weeks in I can easily clean and check him all over. When he gets fidgety I just stop and massage his spine then start again.

Good luck  :D

Offline praia

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 04:01:53 AM »
If you want to get the pup used to having his ears messed with you can massage the ear with your fingers or a clean cotton ball so that he gets used to the feeling and associates it with good things. 

I never clean the ears of my spaniels besides wiping out excess moisture after a swim or bath and neither have ever had any problems with their ears.  I also believe that over cleaning can cause more harm than good in ears that were healthy to begin with.   

Offline jack_morris

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »
Thanks guys. We have a springer spaniel for 14 years and I remember my Dad having to clean her ears out due to problems she would have. Just want to get him used to it so it makes life a lot easier  :D

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
HI

When we're grooming Miya she is content  :angel:to chew on an old grooming comb whilst we groom, clip and sheer her.

Might just be worth a go ;)