Author Topic: Barking  (Read 9823 times)

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Barking
« on: January 07, 2003, 03:37:43 PM »
Ok I know I'm having a blonde moment ::) - but can anyone tell me when Monty will learn how to bark? He's 5 months old - we've heard him growl, yelp, cry and even howl....but no bark.........is this normal?...I'm just curious...... :-                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Barking
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 04:33:04 PM »
I personally don't know how unusual this is but I can tell you that one of my sisters spaniels has only ever barked once and she is now 6 years old.  And that was literally ONE bark! :o  The other dog makes up for it though ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Barking
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 05:06:52 PM »
Some Cockers are quicker to bark than others & some never bark much at all. Make the most of it Jen - in a few months time, you could be posting to ask how to shut Monty up  ;D ;D                    
Jane

Offline jan.c

• Site Member
    • http://martynbellracing.co.uk
Barking
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 07:02:24 PM »
There is not alot of difference in ages between , Monty and Solly,and Solly hardly ever barks, we get the occasional woof when he is tormenting the cats and that is all, he never barks when anyone knocks on the door and nearly licked the postman to death this morning, the postie thinks hes just sooo cute, Yes cute but deffinately NOT a guard dog :)                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2003, 07:11:37 PM »
Hi Jan - Have you got any updated pics of Solly? it's been a while.......how is he doing?                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline angelad

Barking
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2003, 11:11:48 AM »
Jen I am inclined to agree with Jane on this one, Cooper didn't bark for quite a while but now he has found his voice it is very hard to shut him up! >:( You should hear him when anyone comes to the door - he sounds like he's going to tear their limbs off, when he gets to them though its a different matter (well most of the time anyway)                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Barking
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2003, 11:39:18 AM »
Daisy too, when somebody knocks at the door, or if she gets too excited during play, barks her little head off. As a pup she was very very quiet, and I had hoped it would stay that way! As Angela says, once they start, there's no going back!  ::)                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Barking
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2003, 11:46:52 AM »
barks her little head off

Buttons is a bit of a barker too ::), only when you mention the word "biscuit" or "walkies", although I did here her do a muffled "woof" in the garden last night because it was dark...and scary ;D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2003, 04:52:05 PM »
When I let my lot out for last wee wee's at night, if I leave the outside light off they generally all go out quietly, but if it is switched on then its the usual barking their heads off.
I think that its definitley something to do with not alerting 'predators', and their wolf instincts kicking in :o
Then again maybe I'm just off my rocker :- ;D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2003, 08:49:33 PM »
Morgan spends most evenings barking at the 'other' gold cocker who sits outside our patio door.  He doesn't really like the way this strange dog mocks him by copying everything he does!! ???
When he goes out he looks around in confusion wondering where the cheeky thing has disappeared to!  ;D
He comes back in and starts barking at his imaginary friend again.
Cockers, although intelligent enough to wrap us round their little paws, can actually be quite stupid at times.  :)

Shirley                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Barking
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2003, 09:52:00 PM »
Morgan spends most evenings barking at the 'other' gold cocker who sits outside our patio door.  He doesn't really like the way this strange dog mocks him by copying everything he does!!

Vegas also has a "friend" who stares through the window and copies everything Vegas does which annoys him quite a bit ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Barking
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2003, 10:36:59 PM »
Vegas also has a "friend" who stares through the window and copies everything Vegas does which annoys him quite a bit  

Buttons has a "friend" too, hers lives on the oven door ::)                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Barking
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2003, 11:04:04 PM »
Lottie spotted one staring at her through the door at the vets, then a really odd thing happened.  Somebody walked straight through this nosy dog :o ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2003, 01:39:57 PM »
Poppy has one of these friends too (although judging by the growls I think it's actually an enemy  :-) It's a black cocker that lives in the aquarium in the living room and sometimes fish swim through her. When this happens Poppy gets mixed up and doesn't know whether to growl at her friend or the fish  ;D                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2003, 11:57:40 PM »
Vegas also has a "friend" who stares through the window and copies everything Vegas does which annoys him quite a bit  

Buttons has a "friend" too, hers lives on the oven door ::)
Ditto here, both Georgia & Otis have 'friends' on the oven door ;D Otis sits there just staring for ages (vain?.....nah ;D) whilst Georgia looks for a while then usually snorts as she walks off "Humph your boring, you don't do anything" ;D