Author Topic: Vet visit as soon as puppy comes home?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline **purpleprincess**

Vet visit as soon as puppy comes home?
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »
Hiya!

Quick question, did anyone/do you recommend book/ing a visit to the vet the day after collecting puppy?

Is this the done thing? Or do I just wait until time for second jabs??

Thanks!!
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: Vet visit as soon as puppy comes home?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »
Hi there,
I took my pup to the vet the day after we got him - I'd already popped into the vet before I got him to see if I liked them. They offer a free initial consultation, where they weigh him, check out his general health (check for heart murmurs, thermometer up the bottom!). They also gave him some flea treatment, sorted me out with the right worming treatment, and it was also nice for the pup to visit the vet for a nice check-up rather than being injected! Hopefully he won't be too scared when he goes back next week for his 2nd jab, microchip and kennel cough treatment. I also got some free food samples (Hills Science Plan and voucher for Royal Canin).

So, in my experience, I'd recommend it. Check your local vet beforehand to see what they offer. I guess these services are built in to the cost of the treatments in the end, but it was a really nice introduction for both me and Henry to the vet experience.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »
Hi there,
I took my pup to the vet the day after we got him - I'd already popped into the vet before I got him to see if I liked them. They offer a free initial consultation, where they weigh him, check out his general health (check for heart murmurs, thermometer up the bottom!). They also gave him some flea treatment, sorted me out with the right worming treatment, and it was also nice for the pup to visit the vet for a nice check-up rather than being injected! Hopefully he won't be too scared when he goes back next week for his 2nd jab, microchip and kennel cough treatment. I also got some free food samples (Hills Science Plan and voucher for Royal Canin).

So, in my experience, I'd recommend it. Check your local vet beforehand to see what they offer. I guess these services are built in to the cost of the treatments in the end, but it was a really nice introduction for both me and Henry to the vet experience.

That's really helpful, thanks!

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »
Oh, I put this in the wrong place! Ooops!

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
Hi purpleprincess, I have taken Basil to our vets for a 6 monthly check today and mentioned we were collecting Alfie on Sunday. I asked her how soon we should take him for a check up and she said they like to see them as soon as possible to give them a thorough health check. He is booked in for Monday  :D

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline jessandme

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
As everyone has said, it is a good idea to take your new pup to the vet straight away for a check up. 

This is usually free.  Many vets will send you away with a goody bag, samples of food, money-off coupons etc.  They will usually also offer you 4 weeks free insurance with Petplan, if you haven't already got this from the breeder.  So all in all, very worthwhile.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
Gosh, I've never thought of (or done) that  :huh: More concerned about getting puppy settled and secure in his/her new home (and a trip to the vet straight away doesn't help this imo); first vet visit is usually the second injection  :dunno:

Offline RegalRustyCharm

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
I contacted my local vet as soon as we collected Lucy and they advised me to let her settle into her new home for at least a few days before making an appointment for her first injection, so thats what we did.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »
when I got wilf and roobs I took them the day after
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
Is your pup coming with a puppy contract....... When my pups left here for their new homes they had a puppy contract and amongst other things on it one of the things was that..... I had taken the pup to the vet to be fully health checked in the past couple of days and that I advised the new owner to register and visit their vet within the next 5 working days and if their vet found anything that my vet had missed that would deem the pup unfit for sale then I would take the pup back and refund in full..... I also put this as it encourages the new owner to register their new pup with a vet instead of waiting till they NEED a vet. ( all my pups went to friends but I still made them sign a contract ;) )

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »
my pup come with a contract to see a vet as soon as possible incase the breeders vet missed anything. I will be bringing Kol home 4 weeks on Saturday and am going to book him into the vets on the Monday for a health check and his first needle

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 01:44:54 PM »
Hi, only just picked up this post.

I took Miya [my pup] to the vets for a health check as soon as we brought her home and were charged £35 for the pleasure. As it turned out the breeder had already visited the vets and had all necessary checks carried out. We also had a date to visit the vets for final injection [paid for by the breeder] and she was checked over again.

We had no concerns with our purchase but if you are in any doubt, maybe peace of mind would outway the cost.

Mel.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
I have always taken them to the vet for a checkup within a day or so, more for peace of mind than anything.

x In memory of Barney x

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
I've registered the puppy with our vet, but when I tried to book a visit for the day after we collect him, they said there was no need??? Even though I explained why etc, she was quite insistent that I wouldn't need to take him until 2nd vaccination.

Feeling quite put out! Maybe I'll register with another vet, annoying though as this is the one we normally use.

Offline jen1876

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
We got Jasper on a Friday and originally had him booked in for first jabs on the Saturday. However both his breeder and the vet advised to at least let him settle in over the weekend before we did this so the appointment was rearranged for the Monday, followed by his first puppy party on the Wednesday (where he was obviously so concerned he actually fell asleep in the middle of the class  ph34r)