Author Topic: walkies  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Chillis

walkies
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »
now she can go out, we thought we'd have a wonder around the front of house, it's a private road, no public ect, was going okay until could hear another dog barking in the distance then she turned into a quivering nervous & growling ball. She sat down & not even the chicken wouldnt tempt her.
In her previous home, there was plenty of dogs & got quite noisy at times.
We've been carrying her around, seen the area, met people previosuly
should we be worried? Or just keep taking tiny steps
Sort of shocked, never had a pooch that didn't want to go & explore before

Offline Rolo12

Re: walkies
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »
Rolo was exactly like this! When i took him out he would just sit down and refuse to go anywhere if he heard another dog bark! His tail would go between his legs and he would start whimpering. I thought it was very out of character as he has always been a confident pup at home and there were loads of dogs in the house he was born in. Like you, I was worried.

He is 15 weeks now and has totally come out of his shell and now loves his walks!
Give it time and don't worry! It is all new to her so just let her explore at her own pace!  :D
Caz :)

Offline Lily Pup

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
Lily screamed like she was being murdered every time another dog came near her  :o   A few weeks at puppy class soon sorted her out and she's fine now  :D

Offline Chillis

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »
thanks guys, i wasnt exspecting it- just asumed we'd trot along
starting classes on thurs but first ones just for us so she has to wait till next week to attend, hope they'll have some tips!
how did you encourage them?
just went around the car doing come, sit, come, sit with chicken. i suppose it was something!

Offline Tiger

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:36 PM »
Yeah Monty did that but now I've taught him "watch" as soon as I see him spooked I get him to watch me and distract him with a bit of training (sit, wait, down etc.) it's paying off as he comes back when he's off lead and sees another dog - even when it's one he wants to play with.

Keep up with his walkies and up the quality of treat until you're more interesting than that horrible barking noise. Good luck  :D

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »
It took Charlie 9-10 months to 'explore' on his walks, and even now (11.5 months) if a dog barks at him (or sounds big in the distance) he's scared. It's a work in progress but he is getting there - its also nice to see just how far he has come :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline RegalRustyCharm

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:44:18 PM »
aww, her confidence will grow the more time she spends outside. She's only a baby so you'll probably find that she's a lot more comfortable and confident whilst in the house but very different when outside in the big wide world as it's a scary place for a young puppy.

Lucy was and still is (at 8 months old) anxious at times whilst out and about especially when she hears random or new noises. When we first started taking her for walks she would often sit down and refuse to walk which I wasn't expecting with a dog at all especially as she was used to being outside as we carried her everywhere before she was safe to go for walks. But being alone down on the ground instead of being cuddled is very different! To build up her confidence I just ignore anything she is reacting to and act like its no big deal so she learns to relax aswell. I reward/treat her for 'good' and relaxed behaviour.

Offline Chillis

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
I'm so glad it's not just us. Just carried her to the small green which she sniffed around & froze at any noises but soon carried on sniffing after had gone, even did a poo!
a big lorry came past, reversed & went passed again & she just sat & watched  :luv:
Luckily knew the drivers & we ran on over to say hi which she loved!
there's some large dogs living few houses down that are very vocal, hoping classes will have some tips

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
It's a whole new world out there and just like us some take a longer to embrace the great outdoors. I'm sure before long she'll at the door in front of you :005:

Mel.

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:23:17 AM »
I think they go through phases as well! Rolo is 15 weeks now and started off like that then he seemed to love going out and now he has started to drag his bum on the floor and refuse to leave the house but once he gets to he park he is fine! Funny little things arent they! :005:
Caz :)