Author Topic: Trimming The Top Of The Ears  (Read 3487 times)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Trimming The Top Of The Ears
« on: March 30, 2005, 07:57:47 PM »
I was having a discussion about this recently and I know some exhibitors trim the tops of the ears with thinners and some hand pluck :) .
I have been shown by two experienced groomers/exhibitors and both use different techniques  :) and I suppose it’s down to what the individual is happy with and what they feel is more asthetically pleasing :) .
So...I was wondering which style the exhibitors on here prefer :unsure: .  
TIA
Nicola  :D

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 07:59:38 PM »
When I showed the boys I used thinners blending in to as far as I could handstrip down from the head.

I think in part it's also how tender/tough your pooch is as some seem to find it more uncomfortable on the ears than others :( .
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 08:13:43 PM »
When I showed the boys I used thinners blending in to as far as I could handstrip down from the head.

I think in part it's also how tender/tough your pooch is as some seem to find it more uncomfortable on the ears than others :( .
[snapback]112000[/snapback]

Thanks for replying so quickly :) .
I have been handstripping the head (would never touch that area with thinners :blink: !) and plucking as much as possible of the top of the ears, however I have found that it is fairly easy to get bold patches in this area  :ph34r: and as you have stated it is quite a tender area for the dogs, and therefore have used the thinners to blend in :) .
Just out of interest, wondered if there was a 'correct' way :) .

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 08:27:44 PM »
I have also seen dogs at shows that have been very clearly clipped on the tops of the ears! :o
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 08:41:06 PM »
I think it depends on the dog & the coat type to be honest. I might prefer to hand strip the top of the ears but sometimes it's not possible - Ruby's ears have always been hand stripped but I could never do this with Rhona because of the bald patch problem ;) As long as it looks as natural as possible, I don't think it really matters which method you use (just as long as you don't get the clippers out :lol:)

Jane
Jane

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 09:02:58 PM »
I hate to see the top of the ears clippered on a showdog  :(
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 06:50:17 PM »
I hate to see the top of the ears clippered on a showdog  :(
[snapback]112033[/snapback]

Funny this should be mentioned; the cocker that was in the BBC Crufts Studio had obviously had the tops of its ears 'clipped'  :blink:  - I had been meaning to ask about it.........I take it is is accepatable in the ring then?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 10:29:45 AM »
Funny this should be mentioned; the cocker that was in the BBC Crufts Studio had obviously had the tops of its ears 'clipped'  :blink:  - I had been meaning to ask about it.........I take it is is accepatable in the ring then?
[snapback]112302[/snapback]

No clipping a show dog's ears isn't accepted as such but it does happen sometimes. If you're talking about the orange Cocker who featured in the Crufts TV program, she is a Veteran bitch I think so perhaps more allowances can be made in her particular case ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 11:20:27 AM »
Thanks for all your replies  :)
Wouldn't dare go near the show dogs with clippers tho :huh:  :lol:

Offline MummyJane

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 11:52:55 PM »
I am sure that this is quite common with some of the German dogs, a lot of Cockers over here have the top of the ears clipped as well as the top of the neck.  A German friend of mine shows one of her dogs and I am sure he gets it done  :blink: I think I will stick to thinning out Alfies, not sure he would like them hand stripped, he can be a real baby  :P

Jane x

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 11:16:23 AM »
There are more cocker people that clip throats and ears than I think Jane realises?????? The way I was shown by an experienced breeder was to clip, and although I have stopped this on my oranges as I don't like the finished result, but my clippers do give a better finish on my dark blues - i find the thinners still leave bold patches as the surface is not "flat" and the hair goes very wavey in that area, especially once thinners have been used once, but perhaps this is something to do with my breeding lines?

My swedish import has his ears clipped as once they have been clipped it is difficult to get them right with thinners, and a judged has never once mentioned it to me, and he is still being placed in good competition...but yes they do do things differently in different countries.

I find that where cockers have been stripped on their ears, people are not able to take enough hair off and it spoils the natural ear set...JMHO.

We have just acquired our first english setter and to my horror they use thinners to trim everywhere, apart from the back and sides.....eeeeeeek.

With my field spaniel I always found the hair was silky and thin enough to use thinners, but generally speaking fields have lots less coat than cockers.
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 11:41:29 AM »
There are more cocker people that clip throats and ears than I think Jane realises??????

I find that where cockers have been stripped on their ears, people are not able to take enough hair off and it spoils the natural ear set...JMHO.
[snapback]118020[/snapback]
No Louise, I'm well aware that there are exhibitors who clip the ears & necks of their Cockers but none of the top breeders I respect & admire do ;) I have judged dogs whose ears have plainly been clipped - I don't like the affect personally as it's too severe but if the dog is better than others in the class, it will win because you're judging the dog not the trimming - it doesn't mean I have to like it though :lol: I also don't agree with you that if you strip the ears, you can't take enough hair off which spoils the ear set. If you look at my avatar, I don't think you could criticise Ruby's ear set & her ears have been stripped, not clipped or scissored ;) I could also name you any number of other top winners whose ears are stripped & again, there's nothing wrong with their ear sets. I guess in the end it comes down to the skill of the groomer & whether the coat lends itself to stripping or not - if it doesn't then a good groomer should be able to use thinners & not resort to clippers. Just my opinion of course - we shall have to agree to differ on this subject :)

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 12:58:29 PM »
Now I recently bought clippers and the last time I groomed Roana I used them on her neck and tops of ears and I have to say the finish was less than pleasing even on a pet. Maybe I am old fashioned  ;) It took me alot longer yesterday using thinners but the finish is sooo much nicer.
I am practising grooming at the moment and far from perfect but I always think that if you want to do well aim high which in my opinion means not cutting any corners.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 02:22:25 PM »
I've studied Janes dogs and i like the way she has stripped the ears - it looks natural and is a look i want to achieve with both of mine. Clippering (to me) looks a little severe - with a look that reminds me of the American cocker.

It's personal preferance at the end of the day - and show success clippered or otherwise depends on the opinion of the judge!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Penel

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 10:03:23 PM »
We have just acquired our first english setter and to my horror they use thinners to trim everywhere, apart from the back and sides.....eeeeeeek.

Just seen this thread - why are you horrified that they trim English setters with thinners ?  they don't trim everywhere - feet, ears, throat, and shoulders should be all you do (ears are very tricky) - perhaps tidy up the tail with a straight end - but there should be no trimming of body fur or tummy feathers, or chest or leg feathers... :lol:   here is a pic of my girl last summer when she was all looking pretty for a show... I find it far far easier grooming her than I do my show strain cocker !