Author Topic: 18 days and counting  (Read 1116 times)

Offline karendorman13

18 days and counting
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »
I have confirmed and booked a date to pick up Kol (Cole). I just hope the next 2 1/2 weeks go quickly and that I have everything he needs. I just need to registar him with our vets and order him a new bed. I will be bringing him home on my knee any tips for our journey home it will take about 45 minutes to get home.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: 18 days and counting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »
Congratulations!

What method of transport are you using to collect him? Are you going with someone to help you? I'd recommend putting him in a box (with blanket and toy). My breeder wouldn't have let me take the dog home on my own. It's important that his journey home is as untraumatic as possible. We hired a car and my hubby sat in the back with the box of puppy on his knee, so that I could concentrate on driving and he on the puppy, stroking him and reassuring him. Luckily he was fine. We stopped off at my parents where he had a bit of a run around. Luckily there was no traffic before or after the stop and he was quiet for most of the journey. Barely any whining. Take some water (and something to drink out of) and kitchen roll in case he has an accident (and plastic bag for any waste!).

I just took him on a bus and tube train today (and on a train last week), partly in a bag and partly being carried, and he got quite subdued - don't think he enjoyed them very much, but I'm glad I did, to get him used to lots of different situations.

The 2.5 weeks will drag! Enjoy the time beforehand, though - get lots of unbroken sleeps, catch up with friends, go out, etc...

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »
Towel on your knee job done. Make sure he's been out/ had a chance to toilet before his journey home and you'll be fine. He will of had a good play/ run about at your breeders before your journey so will most likely curl up and sleep for 40mins  :blink:

Good luck x

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 03:15:42 PM »
My OH is driving because i cant, i have just kept a small box and i am going to line it with my other dogs blanket so he can get used to her smell on the journey home. I will take some kitchen roll and put a puppy training pad in the bottom of the box just in case he has an accident, i have a travel water bottle anyway for our older dog. I never thought of taking a poop bag or a toy or a but he already has plenty so i will just pick one. I have also bought my other dog some new toys and am going to take one of them with me so she does not think the puppy is getting all the new toys. I will also be taking him on and off public transport and both my children have Level and GCSE results to collect so i will take him with us so he can experience different people and situations in his first few weeks. The things we do for dogs

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
How exciting!!  :lol2:

Make sure you get plenty of sleep and enjoy some quiet time!!  :005:

I took Luca home on my knee while boyfriend drove. In the end he was in the footwell with lots of towels and blankets as it was warm. Take water and a toy. Kitchen roll just in case and poo bags!

Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »
I wish i could. I done a big cheer at the beginning of the week thinking only 4 more early mornings then the kids are off school and i can have some long lies before we get the pup. Then on Tuesday we get notified the National grid are replacing all the old gas pipes and they started at 8 am on Thursday and they will be there for the next 4 weeks. So no sleep ins for me  :012:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »
Ooh how exciting!!

Two weeks before I brought Jinley home I took a soft toy, an old tshirt that I had worn for a couple of hours and a small dog blanket to the breeders and she would rub them on the mom and litter mates and let her sniff them.  I had these in the car as well as a couple of old towels.

Good luck!

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
I wish i could. I done a big cheer at the beginning of the week thinking only 4 more early mornings then the kids are off school and i can have some long lies before we get the pup. Then on Tuesday we get notified the National grid are replacing all the old gas pipes and they started at 8 am on Thursday and they will be there for the next 4 weeks. So no sleep ins for me  :012:

Oh no, how unlucky!! Maybe you'll have to go to bed at 8pm for a few nights instead then!  :005:
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline jack_morris

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »
How exciting!!!  :D

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:13:12 AM »
I have had to reorder and go and replace everything i bought because OH threw the bag out containing everything i wanted to scream yes i had placed everything in a large plastic bag but it had bowls and everything in so was not light and trust me it is not the first time he has done this he has thrown out all sorts over the years

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »
I have had to reorder and go and replace everything i bought because OH threw the bag out containing everything i wanted to scream yes i had placed everything in a large plastic bag but it had bowls and everything in so was not light and trust me it is not the first time he has done this he has thrown out all sorts over the years

ooooooooo

I bet he is in the dog house now!

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
He is in more than the dog house, but since he is now paying i have ordered a nicer collar, ID tag and a bigger bed

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »
I never thought that i'd be glad i have a throat and chest infection now because in 2 weeks i will have my Baba home the countdown is on 13 days 22 hours and 17 minutes not that i'm excited or anything

Offline Amus1

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »
Naughty OH! Lol. Am on countdown now too - 6 days for us!! Roll on Friday! Eek!  :lol2:

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 08:03:01 PM »
It is 11 days now for me 11am a week wednesday but I am all prepared now I hope and I seen some pictures of the litter today and they are little fat puddings all I need now is the vet bed to be delivered