Author Topic: agility  (Read 450 times)

Offline Chillis

agility
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
sure read can't start agility till they are a year old but can we do fun things in the garden? Eg low jumps, tunnels ect

Offline Evadee

Re: agility
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »
They can start agility from just a few months old.  Our Tia started at 6 months and Jake at about 5 months.  BUT it depends on the class/trainer and they should be very restricted on what they do.

A lot of the beginning stuff is touching points and learning to wait.  They shouldn't be doing any jumps or anything strenuous  ;)

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
Our trainer won't let them start agility or flyable classes until 12 months but I am sure that a few simple obstacles would be fine if done in an uncompetitive way  :D

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline maddy74

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
I think you would be okay with a tunnel but a lot of the other equipment would put too much strain on pups joints.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:49:44 PM »
I didn't start Max until he was 2 & Harry until he was 1 but some clubs allow younger to do foundation work, but not using the equipment until they are 12 months old

You can teach things like targeting with paw or nose (I use pringles lids - an excuse to buy them  :005:) & you can start to teach directions, alot of people teach the dogs to go-on ahead of the handler for example between wings but with no poles & agree, a good wait is pretty important, I don't see a problem getting a dog to go through a tunnel, I'd just say keep it all short & fun
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »
I was told 1 year. But I could have gone got the groundwork stuff (i figured I may as well wait)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)