Author Topic: Ecoli and Campylobacter  (Read 950 times)

Offline mgemma

Ecoli and Campylobacter
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »
Hi

I am wondering if anyone has ever come across Ecoli and campylobacter in there dog, I have a nine month old cocker who last week was very poorly with diarrhoea and general not himself we took him to the vets and we received the test results back today to say he has Ecoli and Campylobacter can anyone help??

Thanks

Gemma xx

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Ecoli and Campylobacter
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
Not on here but another forum a womans dog was very ill with e coli, was hooked up to a drip and lots so much weight, they suspected it was from    a bone the dog had.

Offline jen1876

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »
our pup suffered from diarrhoea for weeks and was eventually diagnosed as having campylobactor in his stool samples. He pretty much recovered on his own eventually although we did try some antacid and pro kolin initiallyand something else that escapes me that we didn't use as our vet warned it could cause dry eye). If he hadn't recovered the vet was suggesting antibiotics. Our vet told us that all dogs have some level of campylobacter bacteria but that it can cause problems if levels become too high,particularly in puppies. Hope he's feeling better soon x

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:39:34 PM »
If it helps, I once had campylobacter - got it from chicken from Sainsbury's - I'd opened the packet the day before and wrapped it in cling film (before cooking it thoroughly). I was so ill I went to the doctors to get a blood test (and stool sample  :embarassed:) which was then rushed to hospital (I'd recently been in Africa, so it could've been malaria!). It turned out to be c'bacta and I was sick for about a week. Normally they give antibiotics but mine had already cleared up. If it was that unpleasant for me I imagine it would be very nasty for a poor dog. I had awful stomach cramps and lost weight - need to watch out for dehydration.

Hope the pup gets better soon.

Offline mgemma

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
Hi

Everyone thanks for your replies its put our minds at rest, he is fine now back to his normal playful self, hopefully it wont return again x