Author Topic: Puppy Support Group  (Read 4903 times)

Offline **purpleprincess**

Puppy Support Group
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »
I saw that there was one of these a few years ago, so thought I'd resurrect if people don't mind.

I've had lots of tears today  :'( :'(, purely because I'm tired and finding some of the puppy thing hard work. I hope I'm not alone in feeling like this, and thought it'd be nice to know that we're not alone!

Plus sides-
*getting quicker at weeing/pooing outside now when I take him out
*already knows 'sit' and working on 'down'
*sleeps in his crate from 10pm until 5am, after a wee will stay in his crate with a treat until 6am when we let him in bed, and then he sleeps til 7am
*so affectionate and loves cuddles
*can amuse himself for 2 minutes
*loves the cat

Negatives-
*can only amuse himself for 2 minutes
*cries and barks and whines when left alone
*bites, hard

So, come on, share your happiness and woes!!!
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: Puppy Support Group
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Pretty much ditto!

Lack of sleep is not really something I was prepared for, as with previous pups we didn't crate train, had them downstairs in the kitchen where they could poo and pee to their heart's content and the nearest neighbour was far enough away that any whining/barking didn't matter. I know crate training is worth it in the end, but sometimes it can be very hard listening to their noise and looking at their poor little forlorn faces.

Mine's not so bitey - I stop him instantly if he is with me or shove a toy in his gob, but sometimes when I put him in the crate (like earlier) he yowls so unbelievably horribly! The neighbours seriously must think we're very very cruel.
I have to nap during the day, and often I do it with him lying on my chest on the sofa, which kind of makes up for everything.

It's really hot and I'm worried he won't sleep well tonight (and therefore I won't). Oh well, it does get better...

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
we are the same  ;) ditto tooo, one mad puppy full of beans betweem 7and 10pm :luv:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »
we are the same  ;) ditto tooo, one mad puppy full of beans betweem 7and 10pm :luv:

Crikey! Pearl is 15 months old and only just beginning to calm down - I don't recall her ever having a sleep if I was at home - a bit like a toddler, she was determined to stay awake.....it does get easier tho, it takes a while to "register" a full nights sleep and the first time they take themselves off to a dog bed for a snooze......OK it's only for 5 minutes now but I think I'd rather have a dog that is truly interactive than one that is totally independent......

Offline Chillis

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »
well need this group  :lol2: also very very tired here, would love a lie in!!! & to watch tv without having one out for a sneaky wee

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
7am or 7pm?!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
20 x 7  :fear2: think I used to get about 4 hours down time at home.....over night

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:45:58 PM »
My puppy has been crazy tonight - just lain down (please stay asleep!!). Sometimes they are quite infuriating!

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »
Here's the run down on Alfie

positives

1. He gets along great with the other dogs and cats but if he get a bit too boisterous they put him in his place  ph34r
2. Toilet training is going quite well, but probably is due to the fact we take him out so often
3. He is sleeping a lot at the moment
4. Does ok in his crate at night but due to different people working different hours he only tends to be in there for 5 hours max at night
5. He seems content if left for a couple of hours in the day
6. he has the most gorgeous eyelashes and huge paws :luv:

negatives

1. Everything has to revolve around his 4 meals a day and then 3 meals  :o
2. He is not very obliging about going to the toilet when it rains  ph34r
3. He loves shoes and wires
4. We can't go on long walks until he is one.
5. The other dogs do love him but the dynamics have been upset somewhat. The other two have been falling out more than usual.
6. He doesn't do a  thing that he is told  :005:

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline maddy74

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »
My heart goes out to you puppy owners nothing prepared me for the whirlwind that was 'Willow'  :005: I had quite a few incidents with her in the early weeks that made me sob rather than cry thinking at times we had made a big mistake having her.  :-\

I have to say the puppy biting, not being able to turn my back for one minute, her trying to eat everything in sight and occasionally having wee wee accidents inside are all distant memories now and am left with the most lovable and loyal cocker and I couldnt wish for more  :luv: She is one in a million and my best friend  :luv:

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:06:43 AM »
thank you for posting this worst with Rosie is lack of sleep and then she wakes up at 5 in the morning and just wants to play and you feel the living dead the best is practically everything else  :luv:

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
I echo what Maddy said: I wasn't prepared at all for the whirlwind that was Molly.  My OH and I have no children, so were used to our lie ins and going for days out and not needing to rush home or anything.  That all changed with Molly  :005: it was so difficult for the first few months, but I now look at her at nearly 1 year old and think she is bloomin amazing  :luv:
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »
You all have my sympathy!

Like Maddy, there were a few morning where I just shut myself in the kitchen and cried thinking we'd made a huge mistake. It's easy to put a lot of pressure on yourself, and sometimes things just don't feel like they're going your way.

Bingley's nearly nine months now, and we still have struggles. It does get a lot better. The time you put in when they're tiny pays off ten fold. We still have a way to go, but even now I can't imagine being back in the puppy place! He is our best friend, an utter joy and can't imagine life without him.

Take it a day at a time! They grow so fast. I see pictures on here daily that make me sooo puppy broody, but I'm glad we're out of that stage now  ph34r

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 08:55:44 AM »
I echo what Maddy said: I wasn't prepared at all for the whirlwind that was Molly.  My OH and I have no children, so were used to our lie ins and going for days out and not needing to rush home or anything.  That all changed with Molly  :005: it was so difficult for the first few months, but I now look at her at nearly 1 year old and think she is bloomin amazing  :luv:
Sounds like us - used to our long lie ins and no kids and lots of travelling too. But we've given all that up because our desire for a little cs was very strong (plus have parents who will look after him for holidays). He is so adorable though, and fortunately the adorable times far outweigh the monster times (thank god they need so much sleep!!). Just looking down at him now, sleeping on a blanket near my feet, and my heart melts  :luv:

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »
The early days are difficult and you feel that the lack of sleep, the cockerdile teeth and the cleaning up of pees and poos will never end....but they will and then we all look at our little fur babies and know that it was worth every tear...every bite and every hole in your jumper :005:....and wonder what the hell we ever did without them :luv:....and then like Tilly is the now you go through it again with the secondary teething where they chew and eat everything and develop cloth ears in their teenage madness.....but would not swap her for the world.

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet