Author Topic: Help/Advice required!  (Read 422 times)

Offline Amus1

Help/Advice required!
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
Hi all,
Ok, So our little monster is coming home in 10 days. Is it unusual the fact that I'm actually quite relaxed about it at the moment?!

I Have a couple of questions really.
  • 1. I have an older dog (9 years old). How should i introduce them to each other and where? Want to start off on the best possible foot!!
and then
  • 2. Crate training queries! I had a crate for Spike as a pup, but he never really went in it - i left him in there in the kitchen but with crate open. He used to just lie on the floor and he prefered that to a bed. I didn't shut the door of the crate - when i did he wee'd and poo'd in the crate ewww!. Should I put pup in the crate and shut the door or should i leave it open?

Dont really want to be getting into next week and finding lots of things i need which i don't have! any suggestions?
I dont see the need for some of the products on the market at the moment - just want the essentials!
(Although I suppose everybody's idea of the 'essentials' is different!)

Think I'm going to stick to newspapers/paper as opposed to puppy pads. (Though be interested to hear other's experiences of these?

thanks in advance![/list][/list]

Offline karendorman13

Re: Help/Advice required!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
Hi we get out pup in 2 weeks and also have an older dog we are going to introduce then in the garden we have no thee choice both sets of parents live in sheltered accommodation. I did read somewhere if you are holding the pup your older dog knows that you will protect it. I am going to let ours have a sniff and when I feel I can I will let the pup down and see how it goes. I am going to do this with just me but my OH watching from the kitchen to make sure everything is OK. Then I will let the pup go in by himself and make a fuss of or older dog and I have bought her some new toys so she does not feel left out.
I have never used a crate so can't comment on this.
Good Luck  :D