Author Topic: Change in sleeping :(  (Read 616 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Change in sleeping :(
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
Im thinking of a few options here but what would you do.
Riley 6 months (tomorrow)  naps a lot during the day, nothing I can do to stop him as he is tired and really needs it.
He catnaps between say 8.30-9pm then after 9 pm seems to fall into deeper sleep on the fireplace hearth, we arent ready for bed then, so at about 10pm will wake him and literally have to chuck him out for his last wee of the night.
He comes in and knows its straight into his crate in the dining room and is only happy to go in and go to sleep.

Now it used to be between 5-5.30am he was waking us with little whimpers then a woof, then woof woof.
I would get up and let him out, he seemed to want a fuss made of him first though  >:D so Im thinking toileting wasnt his priority , it was only because HE was awake and wanted US.
Anyway probably silly on my behalf but I would grab my pillow and lie on settee and he would fall asleep within 15 mins after a stretch, scratch etc.
I would too so it wasnt too bad really. He would stay sleeping on and off for an our two sometimes.

Now though last few mornings its been .... 4.30am,  he hasnt drank anything from about 8pm the night before, (he isnt a huge drinker) but will take water when he wants.
Ive been letting him out again and he does a wee but isnt happy going back to crate, and Im not happy camping on the sofa at 4.30am, 5.30am is bad enough :shades:

Im thinking should I leave the crate open so he can potter around the dining room, but still Im thinking its us he wants because as soon as im there he is making a huge fuss of me and wanting me to pet him .
Or do I bring him up to our room where he can lay on floor.
Not all night in the room as he is happy to go to his crate at 10pm  .
Any advice what you would try first.   I get the impression he isnt really bursting for the toilet , more of a case, Im awake so they are going to be too !!

Oh and our bedroom has no room for his crate.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: Change in sleeping :(
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
When I first got Charlie I had him sleep on the floor (on a bed) next to my bed, he fidgeted and fidgeted most nights. Then I put him on the bed and bliss...He slept through the night and I had to wake him in the mornings. Now he's older he comes on the bed for pre-sleep cuddles, jumps on the floor and spends most of the night there then up again in the morning for cuddles. Sometimes he'll sleep late, sometimes he'll sleep early but he'll jump on the bed, say hello and off to sleep again.

With Riley, play with him before bed to tire him out. Charlie would sleep and I'd wake him up to play then let him our for his last wee and then off to bed.

Also by keep going down in the morning you are effectively saying "it's ok, I'll do it". Try and refrain from going down and leaving him a bit longer, it'll be hard until he gets the hang of it though, either than or (in my bad influence) let him our of his crate and up on the bed for cuddles? Although it's still not ideal as you are still having to get up for him and it can't be good for you.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
It's difficult to know what to do, isn't it? You don't want to leave them in case they really are desperate for the loo, but most of the time it is just because they are awake and think you should be too.  With Pippa I have made a bit of a rod for my own back because I usually get up at 6am and let her out for a wee.  I like to work in the early morning, so she then comes in and sits with me while I get on.  However, on the mornings I want a lie-in, she will often start whining at 6. 

If I am planning not to get up for 1-2 hours, I usually go down and let her out.  I then either give her a bit of kibble in a kong and send her back to bed or let her upstairs with us to sleep (although Barney then insists on coming too and as he won't wee in the yard I have to do a quick toilet dash with him in my pyjamas - not ideal).  I don't do this very often though (perhaps once a month) because I don't want the dogs to get the idea that they can sleep upstairs all the time.

If Pippa is whining and I am getting up within half an hour anyway, I leave her to it.  From doing this she has learned that we will tolerate a whine, but not a bark, but she can't seem to manage to be completely quiet.

I would suggest giving Riley some of his breakfast in a kong while you go back to bed.  Also, don't make any fuss when you get up with him and keep talking to a minimum so it is less rewarding for him to get you up.  Alternatively, it could be worth letting him upstairs, but the problem with this is he could like it too much and want to be up with you all night.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
Thanks both It is hard to decide, this morning I came down at 4.30am, let him out then put his stag bar in his crate with him but after about 10 min I heard him "whelp" I came down and said in a stern voice, be quiet , back to sleep, never heard a peep till 5.20am then hubby got up as he woofed a couple of times.
For now its a case of trying to ignore him but My house is a new house and walls and floors like paper and he is directly below me , so in effect could be in the same room its like that.
Also dont want to disturb our neighbour who is a nurse and up early for work.
Will try tonight, Its getting that Im aware we arent getting enough sleep really with it being broken all the time.

Thanks.

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
Hi Jane

Happy six months for tomorrow Riley :birthday:

Wonder if Riley isn't taken advantage of your good nature as I think he may be playing on the idea that you come to him at 5:30 so why not 4:30. He's got the rest of the day to catch up on his sleep, but you haven't.
Do you not think he could go right through the night now, only when we let Miya out at 7..ish sometimes she's not bothered for a wee and just plays. I'm sure his little tank is big enough to last the night :005:

Mel.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
Hi Jane

Happy six months for tomorrow Riley :birthday:

Wonder if Riley isn't taken advantage of your good nature as I think he may be playing on the idea that you come to him at 5:30 so why not 4:30. He's got the rest of the day to catch up on his sleep, but you haven't.
Do you not think he could go right through the night now, only when we let Miya out at 7..ish sometimes she's not bothered for a wee and just plays. I'm sure his little tank is big enough to last the night :005:

Mel.

Yes I think your right Mel, going to sit it out, or lie it out and try it tomorrow, saying that the sharp words "GO TO SLEEP RILEY" did work this morning but I want to progress to ignoring completely, will try suppose its like with our kids. Why Im softer with a hairy monster I dont know, maybe Ive mellowed in the years.