Author Topic: The cost of purchasing Cocker Spaniels!!!  (Read 16662 times)

Offline karendorman13

Re: The cost of purchasing Cocker Spaniels!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
One breeder I was originally looking at charged £150 extra for bitches. She also could not tell me the health status of both parents and she was advertising show cockers but you could clearly see they were from working stock. Obviously trying to take advantage of people who had not done research into the breed and make a quick buck too   

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »
One breeder I was originally looking at charged £150 extra for bitches. She also could not tell me the health status of both parents and she was advertising show cockers but you could clearly see they were from working stock. Obviously trying to take advantage of people who had not done research into the breed and make a quick buck too   
Hmmm, maybe that's where the £850 came from - I didn't ask what she charged for the males. She has also advertised as show and I could see the mum was half-working as soon as I saw her. Lucky me for knowing the difference, but I'm sure plenty of people don't and end up with slightly different dogs than they'd expected.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »
I have seen some websites for reputable breeders saying that they have increased their prices to £850 as they're passing on the cost of the increased burden of health testing to the purchase price of the puppies. Others obviously see it as a necessary cost prior to breeding their bitch (in order to breed healthy pups) and it just comes out of any profit they make.

Breeders that say that aren't what I call "reputable" - if you are a responsible, ethical breeder, profit does not come into it and you certainly don't expect your buyers to subsidise you for the tests any good breeder should regard as essential if you want to do your best for your puppies! Can't believe the cheek of some breeders..........
Jane

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »
I paid 750 for each of my boys almost 4 years ago.  Our latest little blue roan is 650.  :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
I paid 720 for our orange roan show cocker

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 10:35:25 AM »
Why anybody would actually PAY £1300 for an undesirable sable colour is beyond me  :huh:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
£550 for Blue roan Riley, fantastic breeder too.

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »
It's crazy isn't it, how people charge all those different amounts. The first lady we got in touch with was charging extra for the blue roan dog, that among other things rang alarm bells for us.

Our little Luca cost us £700 which I think is about average. Both parents health tested, KC registered, wormed, chipped, vaccinated, came with pack and food, and all pups in the litter the same price. Even our little choc roan which is an unusual colour, and the choc and tans.

Doesn't imply ethical when breeders start chopping and changing the amounts!

My boyfriend's brother and wife live in Sweden and 3 years ago they bought a show type black cocker bitch and they paid the equivalent of £1000! They don't even know if parents were health tested etc etc.
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »

I have seen some websites for reputable breeders saying that they have increased their prices to £850 as they're passing on the cost of the increased burden of health testing to the purchase price of the puppies. Others obviously see it as a necessary cost prior to breeding their bitch (in order to breed healthy pups) and it just comes out of any profit they make.

I have seen that on a breeders website,possibly the same one.  :shades:
As Jane says there are still commercial breeders under the KC ABS which i didn't realise when i was looking for Ruby but the more research you do the more knowledge you get and knowledge is the power to make an informed and hopefully right choice.

Ruby was £650 four years ago.

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
£500 for Charlie.

When I was looking £450 - £600 was the average price I'd found.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Clare B

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »
Here in Oz $800 to $1000 ( that's 530pounds to 660pounds)  for a well bred show cocker .... Don't know about sables never seen one in real life or for sale.  Have noticed that liver colored charge more, and there's only a couple if breeders who have liver here, again never seen one in real life.

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »
£700 for Madoc 2 weeks ago. He's KC reg with fully health tested parents & all the litter were the same price. There were only 3 pups in the litter, born by C section and the breeders kept one themselves. They certainly wouldn't have made any money out of them!

Offline Jimyg

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »
Hugo was only £300, always worth haggling a bit! Cockers seem generally reasonably priced compared to the £2300 my step sis has just splashed out on an english bulldog!

Offline jak3

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »
we payed £550 for Alfie which i found to be average (in scotland) although i did find it difficult to find a good breeder in scotland seemed to be a wider choice in England which we were gong to travel but the Alfie poped up just 15mins from were we live, he was the last one left and fell in love with him instantly!

Offline Clare B

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
Quote from: Jimyg link=topic=96191.msg1424778#msg1424778 :shades: date=1344428183
Hugo was only £300, always worth haggling a bit! Cockers seem generally reasonably priced compared to the £2300 my step sis has just splashed out on an english bulldog!
I think the big price of bulldogs is because of the small litters they have, just like westies here $2000 plus and with all the allergies and health problems they have, just like English bull dogs lots of health problems.... So bigger purchase price, bigger ongoing expense