Author Topic: The cost of purchasing Cocker Spaniels!!!  (Read 16666 times)

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
Re: The cost of purchasing Cocker Spaniels!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
Rosie was only 300 as well but i think they are cheaper here in ireland the parents where tested and she was KC registered microchipped and vaccinated  :D

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »
Bingley was £700.

TBH i'm not sure I would want to haggle down a price for my dog. Reputable breeders do the best they can for their puppies, and will price appropriately. I wouldn't want to try and undercut them. Just my personal feelings

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
Hugo was only £300, always worth haggling a bit!

:o Sorry but a Cocker puppy isn't like a second hand car where you haggle over the price ph34r I don't know of any decent breeder who would "haggle" with a potential new puppy owner - those that are willing to lower their price are I would guess quite desperate to sell.
Jane

Offline fr1day

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »
Does anyone know the average price of a cocker in the USA? My parents, who live in the States, have started looking at getting one and the few breeders they have come across so far want $1500. I think they're a lot harder to come by, which might be reflective of the price, but it seems like a lot to me!

Sorry to hijack the thread...

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 05:24:07 PM »
Bingley was £700.

TBH i'm not sure I would want to haggle down a price for my dog. Reputable breeders do the best they can for their puppies, and will price appropriately. I wouldn't want to try and undercut them. Just my personal feelings

Exactly.  A breeder puts in a lot of dedicated hours rearing the litter, and also has vet bills to pay with respect to each pup.

A good breeder is worth his/her weight in gold.   :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »
we payed £350 for arnie  seven and half years ago,i must admit he did come from a puppy farm which we did not know at the time i will be more carefull next time ,yes the place where he came from was on the news but we love him to bits i would pay a lot more next time

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
we payed £350 for arnie  seven and half years ago,i must admit he did come from a puppy farm which we did not know at the time i will be more carefull next time ,yes the place where he came from was on the news but we love him to bits i would pay a lot more next time

Sounds like he is a lucky little boy Bev....having such a loving home.  Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:52 PM »
thank you our friends got arnies sister as well,he is hard work ,but i love him to bits,i have looked on the internet where we got them from and it said they had hundreds of dogs but when we went to him they had the mum and dad and all the pups it was clean we did not know but at least we saved 2

Offline Lily Freya

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »
thank you our friends got arnies sister as well,he is hard work ,but i love him to bits,i have looked on the internet where we got them from and it said they had hundreds of dogs but when we went to him they had the mum and dad and all the pups it was clean we did not know but at least we saved 2

Precisely....they were the lucky ones.  For all the bad stories we hear, there are the good ones from people like you. Xx

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 09:37:19 PM »
The parents of that sable roan are blue roan and tan and chocolate roan so how they got 2 sable roan is anyones guess, they charged £850 for the boy so there is a £500 difference  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline oreo

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 07:59:13 AM »
We paid £295 for our liver and white Oreo. Granted niethier of her parents were kc reg. The lady who we bought her off gave us copies pedigree papers going back 5 generations on the mothers side and 4 on the fathers and made sure we were suitable owners having already turned down people. She was quite happy to let us visit several times to get the kids used to the puppies unlike other "breeders" who were quite cagey and weren't happy for the kids to come in. When we picked Oreo up we felt like we were stealing her at the price. ;)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 09:08:31 AM »
Does anyone know the average price of a cocker in the USA? My parents, who live in the States, have started looking at getting one and the few breeders they have come across so far want $1500. I think they're a lot harder to come by, which might be reflective of the price, but it seems like a lot to me!

American cockers are much more common in the USA, I guess the english cocker which is completely different would be more expensive to be honest.
There are a couple of americans on here, maybe they could advise you.
One is from Florida and Im sure he said he had to travel and it was quite rare to get his cocker.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »
Bingley was £700.

Exactly.  A breeder puts in a lot of dedicated hours rearing the litter, and also has vet bills to pay with respect to each pup.

A good breeder is worth his/her weight in gold.   :luv:

Definitely, Maureen.

I think once you have realised there is an 'average' price or pretty constant price range, I would be wondering why some 'breeders' choose to sell their puppies for significantly more or less than this. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
Hugo was only £300, always worth haggling a bit!

Sorry but if anybody tried to 'haggle' the price of one of my pups, they would be shown the dog - and promptly!  >:D

Offline praia

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »

English Cockers are harder to find in the US, but nearly all the breeders of them are well known and very respected so they can command the price based on the quality of their dogs. The cost of a puppy is also determined by the cost of health tests and the pedigree of the dog.  Besides the usually tests, it's becoming more common in the US to test for hips, elbows, and patellas in Cockers, which I don't think is done very often in the UK.   Most breeders in the US won't even think of breeding their dogs until they've gained their championships or are very close to.  Many US English Cockers breeders also title their dogs in obedience, hunting, or tracking as they are very set on breeding for the "whole package".  When a breeder has done all the required health tests and more, and are breeding from titled dogs with excellent pedigrees then you can expect a higher price.  Most English Cocker puppies from respected US kennels go for $1200.  In my search for an English Cocker puppy I never saw any pups for $1500 and I would grill the breeder about that price, though the price I listed is what is what one would expect for an East coast puppy.  Price differences could vary by region.

That being said... there are a few "pet" breeders in the US who do ask for ridiculous prices.  These breeders usually have recent imports from pet breeders in Europe as no reputable breeder in the US is willing to sell them a pet quality Cocker that they know will be bred from.  These US pet breeders usually ask for far too low a price or far too high.

I believe the American buyer had to drive to Florida, because they specifically requested an undocked puppy.  Breeders that breed for the US conformation ring will always dock the entire litter as it is difficult to see which puppy will make for a good show prospect at the young age that is required for docking.  

If your parents are still looking I can message you and get you in contact with some breeders in the area they're looking in.