Author Topic: Saftey Standards  (Read 668 times)

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
Saftey Standards
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
 Hi

Fairly new to puppy raising and just wondered if [as with children] there are any safety standards in place to protect are furry babies?
We buy toys from a high street store at an over priced fee only to find pieces of rope, plastic and rubber either consumed :020: or strewn all over the floor. Some of these toys retail around £8 a pop and I'm sure my pup gets more pleasure chasing/attacking a plastic milk carton across the floor.
My real worry has been that she may choke :'(

Mel.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Saftey Standards
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »
Hi

Fairly new to puppy raising and just wondered if [as with children] there are any safety standards in place to protect are furry babies?
We buy toys from a high street store at an over priced fee only to find pieces of rope, plastic and rubber either consumed :020: or strewn all over the floor. Some of these toys retail around £8 a pop and I'm sure my pup gets more pleasure chasing/attacking a plastic milk carton across the floor.
My real worry has been that she may choke :'(

Mel.

Hi Mel,
This is what we have found, but most of them say stuff like to check for damage periodically .
Cant count the amount of toys we have had to chuck out with Riley , we have established he is a big chewer of toys, funnily enough he hasnt done a single bit of damage to anything in the house except a tiny bit of the skirting board.
I thought since he has all his big teeth now he might be better, he is in the aspect that a toy stuffed pluto has only a tiny bit of a hole after 4 days , whereas pre big teeth Pluto would have been beheaded within an hour  :005:
We find the Pet  stages toys from tk maxx have lasted him the longest, along with the obvious stag bar and kong type stuff.
Also a fleece rope from equafleece has NO damage at all.

At the very beginning our vet said to not have any toys with rubber or stuffing, I can see why.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
I buy soft toys from charity shops and remove all obvious hazzards/loose bits. At a few pence per item they are disposable  ;) Also alot of recyclable household waste items make great destructable puppy toys. Rinsed out and squashed milk containers, cardboard tubes & small cardboard boxes are great for puppys to destroy :D

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Last night we counted 17 expensive toys in the garden and I reckon there were probably as many again, yet they seem to get as much fun from newspapers, leaves, branches etc, so I wonder is it really worth it. It does make me feel good though giving them their new treats

Offline Clare B

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
My Flo gets free range of all my daughters stuffed toys, of which she has too many from being handed down to her from friends.  I do always keep in mind though that my vet said rubber cannot be easily picked up in an X-ray , so if doggie swallows rubber then it cannot be detected and prognosis is difficult, so be aware of chewed up balls.  I also find that the stuffed toys are filled with fluff which is full of chemical matter, so once ripped apart I throw in the bin.

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »
My Flo gets free range of all my daughters stuffed toys, of which she has too many from being handed down to her from friends.  I do always keep in mind though that my vet said rubber cannot be easily picked up in an X-ray , so if doggie swallows rubber then it cannot be detected and prognosis is difficult, so be aware of chewed up balls.  I also find that the stuffed toys are filled with fluff which is full of chemical matter, so once ripped apart I throw in the bin.

Hi Clare

Thanks for your comments.
That's another two rubber toys in the bin >:(
Now their filling the toys with chemical weapons, it's a bloody minefield outthere >:D

Mel.

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
Another one who buys stuffies from charity shops, checks and removes obvious decorations that could be chewed off and swallowed.  I have found that the various stuffy teds bought this way for a few pence have stood up to the punishment from my two a lot longer than the dog toys bought from pet shops  ;)

They are also big fans of the Ikea rats and footballs and I buy new ones when I go usually one or twice a year.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »
ps the occasional toilet roll/kitchen roll tube and empty cereal boxes are also big hits too
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11