Author Topic: Is it normal for people to ask how much you paid for the pup?  (Read 1718 times)

Offline lollie

Is it normal for people to ask how much you paid for the pup?
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »
I was in pets at home with 'no name' yesterday, and along with lots of people making a fuss of him, and laughing that he had firmly plonked his bum down and was refusing to move, I had one woman come up to me and the conversation went like this...

Her: Awww. How much did you pay for him?

Me: Errrrr....... Stupidly told her the amount.

Her: Oh........ And walked off.

I was like, what the hell? I was totally taken aback, and wish I'd of just said mind your own business!  Is it a normal question for people to ask? If it was family or a friend then I wouldn't mind, but it felt odd a stranger was asking.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Is it normal for people to ask how much you paid for the pup?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:28 AM »
If that was all she asked then I would say that was very nosy  >:(  I would have no problem with people I know asking but, as you say, a complete stranger who knows nothing else about you - bit off  :dunno:
Julie and Watson

Offline cart1984

• Marley
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »
i hate nosey people like that - we used to get asked that all the time when we were out with marley as a pup!

Tell em to mind there own business.
[/url]

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »
I would never ever ask that, to me its not important to anyone else but the person who is buying the dog or considering buying one maybe from the same breeder. There are lots of more questions I would be asking about a cute puppy !
I too have had strangers ask me, I think they were thinking of buying a cocker but to be honest its irrelevant as different breeders ask different amounts for their pups. Its forward and nosey in my opinion.

Im not being cheeky or nosey but has he had his injections? if not then I wouldnt let him sit down or walk anywhere that possibly non vaccinated dogs had been. Especially pets at home. Just being cautious really.

Offline lollie

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »
Im not being cheeky or nosey but has he had his injections? if not then I wouldnt let him sit down or walk anywhere that possibly non vaccinated dogs had been. Especially pets at home. Just being cautious really.

Haha it's ok. He has had both his injections before I got him.

xx

Offline beanbag

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »
How rude. >:(
The only time i have ever asked that is when my folks got their puppy and only because they were discussing it at the time.

If someone asks me that when i have my pup i think i will politely just say "a certain amount of money". At the end of the day you dont go up to someone and say "how much do you get paid?" its the same sort of thing.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »

Haha it's ok. He has had both his injections before I got him.

xx

Thats great , wasnt meaning to be cheeky by the way. He is gorgeous, hurry up with that name lol ;)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »
She could of been some sort of *breeder herself & checking how much people are parting with for a show type cocker in her area?

* I use that term loosely I know IYKWIM  ;) :police: 
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »
Lots of people are also looking for a bargain  >:( She was probably hoping you'd say 'a fiver' then she could get one herself.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:57 AM »
I think lots of people who have never paid for a pedigree dog are really surprised at how much we will fork out for them, and probably think we are 'barking mad'  ;)  But, in my opinion 'you get what you pay for'.  Bit cheeky, thought, just asking outright like that  :shades:

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
I have been asked numerous times and even more so recently when I have been out with my pup.  I never say as (I have a very suspicious mind) I am always thinking what if they are asking to find out what a pup could be "sold on" for IYKWIM.   ph34r ph34r

People are probably just interested but it really is none of their business.  If they want to know what a pedigree pup costs then it is easy to find out on the web.  I just don't want to advertise how many of my hard earned ££££'s are on the end on a lead!! >:D
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline beanbag

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »
I think lots of people who have never paid for a pedigree dog are really surprised at how much we will fork out for them, and probably think we are 'barking mad'  ;)  But, in my opinion 'you get what you pay for'.  Bit cheeky, thought, just asking outright like that  :shades:

We are just about to get our first pooch and I wasnt at all surprised at how much pups going to cost. I agree with you completely that you get what you pay for and i think some people dont realise. I mean people will pay £1000 for a pair of designer shoes.
When i lived with my parents we had a family dog, we got her at 8 weeks old from a rescue and she cost £50. My parents got their GSD x working lab 10 weeks ago and she cost £150. I am getting a pedigree cocker and i think if i thought i would get one for that price i would worry! Like you say you get what you pay for.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
I wouldnt tell a complete stranger - basically because I never exactly told my OH either!   :005: :005: :shades:

Pat

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
I would have said " a fiver" and asked how much did you pay for your coat?
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Clare B

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »
Well I'm happy to tell people in this neck of the woods ( eastern suburbs Sydney) if they ask ,because I know alot of them buy their mutts ( cute and lovely but clearly puppy farmed) from the local pet shop for double the cost of a well bred pure dog..... Why they don't go and rescue a mutt from the pound is the age old question  >:D had a conversation today with a lovely lady who had a rescue pup, she was interested in Flo because at the same rescue where she got her pup there were 2 cockers from the same household up for rescue and she dearly wanted one but they were only to be homed as a pair.... She ended up with a gorgeous jrt x, but in conversation she couldn't believe that anyone would give up the 2 beautiful cockers ( aged 3 and 4).... Then we got talking about how lovely her dog was( he was a cutey) and how so many idiot locals pay huge $$ for pups from the pet shop and are unwittingly supporting puppy farming >:D.  So yes I'm happy to tell some locals what I paid for a purebred ..... And she wasn't a bargain just normal cost for a well bred cocker.